Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st June 2020, 23:25   #21
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

As you can see by the photo kindly posted by Marinabrian I really went to town on mine.

If you could only see the photos prior to this rebuild which was my choice as the car was looking very good.
There was minimal corrosion around the wheel arches which required attention.
Rimmer bros purchased back a load of new panels from India and I mean a load, approx 40 shipping containers.
I purchased new panels and decided to go the whole hog and replace the sills as well.
On removing the wings the corrosion was limited to approx 1/2 inch round the arches after which was still as new from the factory.
The same applied to the sills where there was only slight corrosion extending approx 1” behind the front wheel but was only surface.
There was corrosion in the boot area which was mainly caused by the fact I had fitted a tow bar and although at the time of the rebuild I hadn’t towed a caravan for about 10 years.
Again with the doors there was only a little corrosion at the bottom of the outer skin but I decided to re skin all four doors.
Finally after a 3 year rebuild I constructed a custom build boot floor and rear valance to incorporate a duplex exhaust conversion which was positioned much higher up than the horrible IMO original pipe which ran off to one side.
I used to get exhaust fumes drawn in via the tailgate vents but with my duplex system there were no fumes getting in.
Bearing in mind my car was over 20 years old when I did the restoration but during its normal working life no real corrosion was present. The car lay off the road for six years then tidied up a bit first and attended many classic car shows before the three year rebuild from 2007 to 2010.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2020, 08:30   #22
Thunderbolt
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T+ 190

When I was little, my friends Dad had a 3.5, we kids thought it was a spaceship, he had a tool hire company and they went to a country club and a golf club.
Then another friends Dad got a 2.3, it was a sandy yellow colour.

My Dad had a Saab 96
Old 22nd June 2020, 16:00   #23
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

All this talk of P6's stirs the bones. May I sneak this in? My last 3500 P6, sold in '93 when I needed capital-without-borrowing for my new business start-up. I'd had it many years and boy, I wish I hadn't sold it.

Chosen for the membership card, the shadow isn't dodgy paint! Old English White. There was a shed just out of shot, casting over the side and bonnet! 1969 auto, 60K miles, took the family + caravan all over the country for years without ever so much as a cough. The reg. when I bought it was AJJ 329G which returned to the car when I sold it. Waited until 2010 and full retirement before enjoying the next Rover, facelift 2.5 75.

Last edited by wraymond; 22nd June 2020 at 16:05..
wraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2020, 13:32   #24
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post

OMG an estimate of £700 and it's just sold for £3100..
Looking at the prices made today I may enter my ZTT in the next sale..

Last edited by Ian G; 26th June 2020 at 13:35..
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2020, 15:49   #25
Jdwoodhou
Loves to post

R75 1.8 Con SE Man Saloon

Quote:
Looking at the prices made today I may enter my ZTT in the next sale..
Wow! I thought it would go for £500 as a fun project for somebody
Old 26th June 2020, 16:08   #26
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdwoodhou View Post
Must be rarity value. How often do you ever see one at a show (pre Lockdown) ? I'd better up the agreed value of my SD1 V8S.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2020, 19:43   #27
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdwoodhou View Post
Surprising isn't it? I think that the two lessons to be learnt are:
  1. Don't take too much notice of valuations.
  2. Viewing in person is essential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
How often do you ever see one at a show (pre Lockdown) ?
You must be going to the wrong shows Coolguy!

Simon
Old 26th June 2020, 19:59   #28
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Surprising isn't it? I think that the two lessons to be learnt are:
  1. Don't take too much notice of valuations.
  2. Viewing in person is essential.

You must be going to the wrong shows Coolguy!

Simon
Or look at it another way, a fool and his money are soon parted

For example THIS I bought a brand new Austin Marina with 14 miles on the clock from ARG in 1992 for £500.

I registered it on a K plate, not 1971 but 1992, same colour but Stromberg carb, catalytic converter, A/C, Sundym glass.

The steering wheel was on the wrong side, but hey ho not really a problem.

Having owned a twin plenum Vitesse, I wasn't impressed, it's not often the build quality of a Morris Marina is surpassed in terms of lackadaisical prowess, but the SD1 was one of the worst put together sheds I've owned.

At least mine had a real gearbox fitted though

Brian

P.S. just looked at the advert again "The first owner was a solicitor partner, the second a television professional" hope this wasn't your car Simon

Last edited by marinabrian; 26th June 2020 at 20:03..
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2020, 00:42   #29
Branflake
Regular poster

None at the moment

Default Style without substance

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
I still own my late Father's SD1 V8S. It was 3 years old when he bought it in 1983, and was confined to storage in 1989 when he bought his last car, a 1986 Jaguar 4.2 Sovereign, which he said made the Rover feel like a tin can! Sentimentality means I still have it, but with a genuine 29,000 miles and totally original, it gets little use as I have a love/hate relationship with it. Style without substance!
Interesting observation, that, about the SD1 being 'style without substance'. My father owned three of them, all 2600 models, in the 1970s and '80s while I was growing up.

As far as substance is concerned, I can't comment fully as I was too young to drive them and so never gained a proper impression of the cars' dynamics. However, my memory, as a passenger, of his 1978 car was that it rolled through corners almost as badly as the Renault 5 of the same era and that the doors 'clanged' rather than 'thunked' shut. His 1981 and 1985 models were much better in those two respects.

With regard to style, it was most gorgeous in series-one guise and before they started chipping away at David Bache's design by changing the door-mirrors and even putting that horizontal vent in above the front number plate, around 1981.

Out of interest, what colour is yours? The pin-up V8-S came in Triton Green but I remember them in other shades too.

P.S. Here's a link to a rather depressing but fascinating documentary, filmed in early 1980, about the dire state of BL at the time. There's a few seconds of footage (from around the 7min 50 sec mark) of SD1s being prepped as they near the end of the track at Solihull.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsizoYrceOg
Branflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2020, 06:08   #30
BoroRover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

My SD1 decided to disable its starter motor whilst I was stuck in a long traffic jam on the A1 during the roadworks at Wetherby all those years ago. Being in the queue in the " fast lane", as it was called back then didn't help either.
Having to push the car off on my own, with a cacophony of those behind showing their displeasure by hooting their horns was something of a trial, but I managed it.
Shortly after I needed fuel, as I pulled in to the pumps, I saw a gold SD1 at the pumps filling up.
Not wanting to push start my SD1, I approached the driver of the gold SD1, and asked if he could help me push it off. Sure, he replied, if you will help me push my SD1 off...the starter motor is stuck.

This incident was just one of ever so many troubles the damn thing saddled me with.
BoroRover is offline   Reply With Quote