Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 30th June 2020, 16:15   #11
Mike523152

ROVER 75 CONTEMPORARY SE CDTI 2004

If anyone else has any thoughts on how long this job should take as I am in all likelihood going to have a bust up with the garage. I have AA parts and breakdown cover up to £ 500, if they have taken a minimum of 7 hours so far and not fixed it, no news back as to when the car will be ready, despite being told it will be finished today on several occasions, then labour alone is in all likelihood use the whole of the cover.
Mike523152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2020, 06:06   #12
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

I would have thought they can only charge "rover book time" regardless of how long it actually takes them. there will be a few on here who could perhaps provide that info for you.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2020, 10:25   #13
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

I haven’t got access to the book time at the moment as I’m at work, I can change the clutch in around six hours, this includes removing the front subframe too.

I do like to take longer, as I stop for several cups of coffee, bear in mind this is working alone on a driveway, if I had access to garage facilities it would be a bit quicker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 1st July 2020, 13:11   #14
Mike523152

ROVER 75 CONTEMPORARY SE CDTI 2004

Default Extortion

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
I haven’t got access to the book time at the moment as I’m at work, I can change the clutch in around six hours, this includes removing the front subframe too.

I do like to take longer, as I stop for several cups of coffee, bear in mind this is working alone on a driveway, if I had access to garage facilities it would be a bit quicker.

Just had a call from the garage, cause of problem is the slave cylinder failing, consequence, DMF, master cylinder, clutch and slave cylinder all need replacing. Total cost £ 1,300 less £ 500 AA contribution, need some urgent guidance, surely this can’t be right.
Mike523152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2020, 13:54   #15
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

I’ve had many slaves fail and not had to replace the dmf, as a guide I charge around £500 to fit a new slave and two piece clutch

Old 1st July 2020, 14:07   #16
Muttley
Regular poster

MG ZT 190+

Forgive my ignorance, but:

Why the need to replace the Master cylinder if its the Slave cylinder that has failed?
Just asking.

Cheers, Muttley
Muttley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2020, 14:10   #17
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike523152 View Post
Just had a call from the garage, cause of problem is the slave cylinder failing, consequence, DMF, master cylinder, clutch and slave cylinder all need replacing. Total cost £ 1,300 less £ 500 AA contribution, need some urgent guidance, surely this can’t be right.

First off I would ask to see the DMF and ask them to show you the tolerances in it. It is a very rare occurrence to have to change the DMF.

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2020, 17:42   #18
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but:

Why the need to replace the Master cylinder if its the Slave cylinder that has failed?
Just asking.

Cheers, Muttley
Exactly. Just flush it through and bleed it to get rid of all the old fluid - before connecting it up to the new slave of course.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 1st July 2020 at 17:50..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2020, 18:05   #19
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

Completely agree with Mike, when I did the last one, the DMF was well within spec at 112k and I just flushed the system and there was no need for either a master or DMF.
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2020, 19:43   #20
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike523152 View Post
Hmm, ask the AA to recover the car to another garage

Highlighted is the Rover book time for renewing a diesel clutch assembly 5.40 hours, this is for a complete job.

DMF replacement, unlikely but not impossible, so that leaves a three part clutch kit, and a master cylinder

For example a three part kit HERE or a kit to include the flywheel HERE an example of a master cylinder HERE

You could look at it this way, let the garage charge you to replace the whole shooting match, or have it done at a more reasonable price elsewhere.

I can't help but think they don't want the job, or indeed more likely think as you are considering the AA insurance cover, simply bumping up the price.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Repair 33.10.01.jpg (107.9 KB, 58 views)
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote