Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st June 2019, 18:22   #21
Binny

75 tourer

Quick update.
After giving the battery a twenty four hour charge I set off on my eighty five mile journey back to East Yorkshire. After only thirty seconds the battery warning light went off however it came back on again after about nine miles and stayed on for the rest of the journey which was accomplished without any problem (thanks for the info on battery range Trikey).
As soon as I was home I checked the battery voltage which was about 11volts and having the engine running made no difference. Removing and cleaning the starter and alternator leads made no difference. Also with my multi meter lead connected directly to the main lead stud on the alternator and the engine running no voltage showed so I presume that I have an alternator fault?
Binny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2019, 19:22   #22
sewerman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binny View Post
Quick update.
After giving the battery a twenty four hour charge I set off on my eighty five mile journey back to East Yorkshire. After only thirty seconds the battery warning light went off however it came back on again after about nine miles and stayed on for the rest of the journey which was accomplished without any problem (thanks for the info on battery range Trikey).
As soon as I was home I checked the battery voltage which was about 11volts and having the engine running made no difference. Removing and cleaning the starter and alternator leads made no difference. Also with my multi meter lead connected directly to the main lead stud on the alternator and the engine running no voltage showed so I presume that I have an alternator fault?
Sounds like it as I said at that mileage the brushes could well be worn on the regulator

Have a look here https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...sh+replacement for a guide to changing the regulator or just the brushes.

The regulator is available from dmgrs or ebay

Brushes I brought of eBay here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REPLACEME...edirect=mobile as recommended by marinaBrian but you need a decent soldering iron !

Scott
sewerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2019, 19:45   #23
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

If it’s 11 volts your battery probably won’t ever recharge to its capacity again
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2019, 21:27   #24
Binny

75 tourer

Thanks for the replies Sewerman and Canonite.
As it happens another twenty four hour charge and the battery was showing just over 14.3 volts so I’m hoping it’s OK.
Old 1st June 2019, 21:30   #25
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Bear in mind that changing the brush pack does not always repair the issue, sometimes the alternator shaft can be worn so the new brushes are not the answer!
Old 27th June 2019, 21:15   #26
Binny

75 tourer

Update - new brushes and regulator from DMGRS fitted to the alternator and everything is back to normal on the charging front with my meter showing 14.5 volts at tickover😀
I was only able to diagnose and fix the problem due to the posts on this excellent forum.
Old 28th June 2019, 10:58   #27
sewerman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ CDTi

Glad you got it sorted

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
sewerman is offline   Reply With Quote