Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th September 2011, 23:06   #1
Tony1962

none at the moment

Default Considering ZT190

Hi everyone,

I've been reading through the excellent forum which has proved extremely useful, thanks to all who've helped with the information given.

I'm new to the "club" and would welcome some advice please.

I am looking for a cheap performance saloon and have considered the usual ST220's, RX8's etc etc; however I have always liked the ZT.

I have found and driven a black 53 plate ZT 190 with circa 70k.
It has full s/history, much of it Rover, all mot's, a stack of bills including for recent work and the original ownership books etc.
Current 12 month mot is included.

It has had a new water pump, fuel pump, DMF and clutch (both at 20k), all belts have been done at 55k.

It has slight bodywork dings and some alloy wear. The drivers seat bolster is slightly worn but everything else works.

There is some mild noise (only just noticeable) from the VIS and at least one of the actuators ran on for a minute or 2 after engine shut down, however that cleared after I manually reset the actuators and did not reappear. The power kick when driving seems present and correct.
It drives and stops well.

I have negotiated a price of £1600 for the vehicle, I believe this simply represents fantastic value for money.

However due to the silly rumours I still feel as though I may be taking a leap of faith, I also believe this is likely to be based on hear say rather than mechanical fact. If one reads any car forum there are many complaints and grumbles.
A simillarly spec'ed ST220 is £4k and still has its own issues.

Based solely on the above, what comments would the more experienced than I have.

Very many thanks all.

Last edited by Tony1962; 18th September 2011 at 23:08..
Tony1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 00:53   #2
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Thread moved to general forum, for better coverage.

If asking a specific technical question, then it is best to ask a specific question to the technical forums, as opposed to as general question covering a number of issues

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 01:44   #3
gaz7560
Loves to post

Ford Mondeo Ghia X 2.0 TDCi

Hi

I have an 11 year old Rover version with the 2.5 V6 with an auto box. I have done about 20000 miles since i owned the car. The only problems I have had are the cooling fan packed in, but it was the older 3 speed model, and recently one vis motor was replaced. It has been very trouble free other than that.
I wish I had bought the MG ZT190 version though.
gaz7560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 07:22   #4
Tony1962

none at the moment

Thanks Gaz,

It does seem that the car is considered very reliable, too many false horror stories I think.

This one in particular has some great back up history and documentation. I wanted to gauge the experiences here though and to get feedback as to the type of cars that come up for sale these days.

However I've probably answered that myself by the research on e bay and auto trader etc. I've also been to see 4 ZT190's upto now. Lots of sheds but the odd diamond too.

I think at this price the one I'm looking at is as sound as they get and there is a bit left in the war chest for a few upgrades.

It's weird as only once before have I felt my heart is ruling my head with a car...but that's the old English badge I guess. That has an attraction all of its own!

I'd like to hear some more views please.

Thanks
Old 19th September 2011, 09:06   #5
Zeb
Banned

MGZT V8 & ZTT 190+LPG

I have a ZT-T 190 with 93k on the clock...had it since 58k...in 08 and it has been a dream...finally the clutch went so changed it myself....but totally reliable and tough as old boots.

Total work in 35k miles - two VIS motors, three headlamp bulbs, one tail light bulb, a new battery after 7 years and the clutch / slave / master done.

Last edited by Zeb; 19th September 2011 at 09:43..
Zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 09:55   #6
Tony1962

none at the moment

Thanks Zeb,

That certainly beats the 52 plate mini cooper s I got rid of.

90k miles...knackered clutch and fly wheel, failed air con, failed central locking, failed cooling fan, boot jammed shut, air bag light on, etc etc etc.

They all have their woes.
Old 19th September 2011, 09:56   #7
Stitch626
Avid contributor

MG ZT 190+, Mercedes CLS

I have had my 190 for 3 1/2 years now. It has had problems and some could have been expensive if it hadn't had a warrantee, but I love it. I have recently bought a 2nd diesel version for my commute and although everyone keeps telling me the sensible thing is to loose the 190, I am finding it real hard to do this. An ST220 is a good car but looks like every other Mondeo on the road. A ZT is fairly unique, sounds good (well the V6 anyway ), goes well and is cheap to buy

MG Rovers do get some bad press and some are problematic. I managed to get my diesel version from a dealer (sold as seen) because he didn't want to have to sell it. It was significantly cheaper than many other cars of its type and is again great (looses out on the sound though )

Many of us love these cars, some people hate them. I guess they are like Marmite. If you do go ahead then hopefully you will be one of those that love them.

Mark
Stitch626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 09:59   #8
Zeb
Banned

MGZT V8 & ZTT 190+LPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1962 View Post
Thanks Zeb,

That certainly beats the 52 plate mini cooper s I got rid of.

90k miles...knackered clutch and fly wheel, failed air con, failed central locking, failed cooling fan, boot jammed shut, air bag light on, etc etc etc.

They all have their woes.

I forgot the replacement backbox... It wasn't blowing even after 7 years but the outer skin was peeling off and it looked messy....

If you find a good one, with a lowish mileage and a genuine (as in the work was actually done!) service history you will have a great car...just don't forget to ask about the timing belts and water pump...6 years or 90,000 miles....expensive to have done but peace of mind! (I did get mine done when I bought the car as I was due to LPG it...)

Last edited by Zeb; 19th September 2011 at 10:01..
Zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 09:59   #9
Tony1962

none at the moment

Stitch,

Thanks for letting me know about your experiences. What specific problems did you have with your v6?

Thanks..
Old 19th September 2011, 11:06   #10
Stitch626
Avid contributor

MG ZT 190+, Mercedes CLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1962 View Post
Stitch,

Thanks for letting me know about your experiences. What specific problems did you have with your v6?

Thanks..
Takes a deep breath and ....

Inlet manifold - usual tapping sound
Water pump leaking
Thermostat housing leaking
rear spring broken
(all above fixed under warranty)

Fabled Orange Clip (your one can't have this problem yet as it won't start when it needs adding. do a search on the forums - very cheap fix and easy to do mind you)
rear engine mount - vibration when pulling away - pretty easy to change if you don't mind getting under the car
strut top bearings - clunk when turning steering wheel

The main other thing that seems to go on manual 75/ZT's is the clutch, which has been changed on yours so should be good. Not sure why they go so early but they seem to. I'm still waiting for that experience

Many problems have solutions on these forums. So, if you do become an owner then its well worth the £10 to join

Mark
Stitch626 is offline   Reply With Quote