Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 9th July 2018, 19:10   #10
Nobby
Aged to perfection!

Rover 75 Conn SE Tourer

I just really don’t know where these fantastic figures come from for an SU carburetted Rover 3.5 V8 lump which in original form was 160BHP but could be made to achieve perhaps some 200. Getting 530 BHP is really pie in the sky .
From memory there was one attempt made to use and certify a direct drive Rover V8 de-rated to 120BHP for light aircraft use in a De-Havilland Chipmunk back in the 1970’s and I recall it did fly. Not sure what happened after that but the aircraft (G-ARB) still exists and has been reverted back to a standard Gypsy Major engine. The only other aircraft flying around with Rover engines that I’m aware of are using the TP90 and derivative gas turbines but even then your only talking around the 80-90HP mark.
Thomas I would be genuinely interested in knowing where you get these “facts and fantastic performance figures from especially when you consider that anything over 90HP in a World War 1 aircraft would tear the canvas and wings off in short shrift. Be entertaining tho

Sometimes I talk to myself, Then we both LAUGH!