Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th March 2014, 19:19   #1
fasteye
Regular poster

MG ZT-T+

Default Tourer Tailgate switch not working

I've been through all the other threads on here and suspect it might be the micro switch but I don't know how difficult this is to replace and haven't been able to source one. Here's the issue.

My MG ZT-T tailgate basically won't open using the tailgate switch located between the number plate lights . Here's what I'm doing;
  • Double unlock the doors with the key
  • Press the switch to open the tailgate (can hear the switch operating but not the lock)
The rear window glass opens fine and the tailgate CAN be opened by double unlocking and using the boot release button inside the car to pop it open (mine is a 2001 model so has this) so the locking mechanism is fine.

Holding down the unlock button on the key doesn't seem to pop the tailgate open which I've seen mentioned on other threads (maybe it only works on later cars??) so everytime I want to open the tailgate I have to go inside the car.

Does everyone concur that it is probably the switch (I've taken the rubber surround off to check that isn't catching but it's still the same) and if so how do I get one and replace it?
Old 24th March 2014, 22:05   #2
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Thread moved to appropriate forum. Re-direct left in old.

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2014, 05:47   #3
DaveyC
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T Diesel

Lightbulb

Try unplugging the switch from the loom. You will need to open the tailgate with the emergency pull, located behind the cover which holds the warning triangle.

Spray it with contact cleaner and hopefully that will cure it. It did for me

Dave
Old 25th March 2014, 07:17   #4
fasteye
Regular poster

MG ZT-T+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyC View Post
Try unplugging the switch from the loom. You will need to open the tailgate with the emergency pull, located behind the cover which holds the warning triangle.

Dave
How do I get to the switch? I'm not familiar with taking it apart and am having to learn about the car every time something needs doing.
Do I need to take off the tailgate trim on the inside to get to it? If so, is it just the screws I can see under the warning triangle cover or are there some hidden elsewhere? I don't want to damage the plastics getting this apart. Hoping this can be a quick fix. Thanks.
Old 25th March 2014, 12:45   #5
berkshirelad
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteye View Post

Holding down the unlock button on the key doesn't seem to pop the tailgate open which I've seen mentioned on other threads (maybe it only works on later cars??) so everytime I want to open the tailgate I have to go inside the car.

Opening from the fob was on later cars. I guess to replace the switch on the A pillar once this was deleted
berkshirelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2014, 11:37   #6
fasteye
Regular poster

MG ZT-T+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyC View Post

Dave
I had a go at doing this today. Plenty of contact cleaner on the plug but it still just doesn't operate anymore with the external switch.
It looks like I might need to change the switch itself. I assume to do this I need to remove the tailgate plinth to get at it or is this a sealed unit?

Either way it seems I need some special star shaped tools if I need to remove it.
Old 31st March 2014, 12:49   #7
berkshirelad
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteye View Post
I had a go at doing this today. Plenty of contact cleaner on the plug but it still just doesn't operate anymore with the external switch.
It looks like I might need to change the switch itself. I assume to do this I need to remove the tailgate plinth to get at it or is this a sealed unit?

Either way it seems I need some special star shaped tools if I need to remove it.
They're called Torx. Easily available as sockets or screwdriver bits.

You need to remove the rear plinth. To do this, the lower interior panel of the tailgate needs to come off. It is held by 4 Torx screws in the safety triangle compartment and multiple push-fit trim fixers (fir-trees)

Whilst you've got it off, it will be worthwhile checking/repairing the circuit board tracks for the registration plate lamps ( and, dare I say it, fitting Canbus friendly LED units)

Last edited by berkshirelad; 31st March 2014 at 12:52..
Old 31st March 2014, 13:09   #8
fasteye
Regular poster

MG ZT-T+

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkshirelad View Post
They're called Torx. Easily available as sockets or screwdriver bits.

You need to remove the rear plinth. To do this, the lower interior panel of the tailgate needs to come off. It is held by 4 Torx screws in the safety triangle compartment and multiple push-fit trim fixers (fir-trees)

Whilst you've got it off, it will be worthwhile checking/repairing the circuit board tracks for the registration plate lamps ( and, dare I say it, fitting Canbus friendly LED units)
Thanks for the reply but a bit confused. The rear plinth seems to be held by the torx type bolts on the outside of the car? I've had the tailgate interior panel off already today and didn't see anything I could do with that off other than clean the connecting plug.
The torx bolts on the outside are not usual ones though - they are security screws like this and I can't see how to get them off. Don't want to mess up the heads of them as they are quite corroded already.

Last edited by fasteye; 31st March 2014 at 14:26..
fasteye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2014, 15:00   #9
berkshirelad
Gets stuck in

From RAVE
  1. Open tailgate
  2. Undo 2 turnbuckles and open warning triangle compartment
  3. Remove 4 screws securing trim casing to tailgate
  4. Using a trim fork, carefully remove 12 clips securing trim casing to tailgate and remove trim casing
  5. Disconnect applique multiplug (the applique is the bit holding the switch and registration plate lights
  6. Remove 4 Torx screws securing applique to tailgate and and release applique from tailgate
  7. Manoeuvre applique harness and multiplug through aperture in tailgate and remove applique from tailgate
  8. Remove
  9. 2 screws and release 3 clips to remove rubber seal from applique

Sorry, I may have confused you between applique and plinth
Old 1st April 2014, 18:58   #10
fasteye
Regular poster

MG ZT-T+

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkshirelad View Post
From RAVE
  1. Open tailgate
  2. Undo 2 turnbuckles and open warning triangle compartment
  3. Remove 4 screws securing trim casing to tailgate
  4. Using a trim fork, carefully remove 12 clips securing trim casing to tailgate and remove trim casing
  5. Disconnect applique multiplug (the applique is the bit holding the switch and registration plate lights
  6. Remove 4 Torx screws securing applique to tailgate and and release applique from tailgate
  7. Manoeuvre applique harness and multiplug through aperture in tailgate and remove applique from tailgate
  8. Remove
  9. 2 screws and release 3 clips to remove rubber seal from applique

Sorry, I may have confused you between applique and plinth
I think I understand all of this.
I think I only need to take the trim off though if I'm actually removing the whole thing from the car in which case I need to unplug it and feed the cable through.
All I really want to do is remove the applique and repair/replace the faulty switch itself.
I can't figure out how to do step 6. though since the 4 Torx screws are security screws and I can't get a driver on them.