Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st June 2007, 22:08   #31
Kiwirover
Loves to post

1999 75 Con SE 2.5 Auto

Hi Keith - Hopefully this helps - at least until I take my rear seat out again and get another photo.
The top of the early one is quite different to that of the later units. And the part number is clearly visible on the label. The most obvious difference are the two large moulded “loops” or finger holds on each side of the top - I guess to help remove/fit it. These are not on the later unit.

I have taken the liberty of including the photo Chris75 provided which shows the top of the early filter unit reasonably clearly. The photos used in the Haynes manual are of the later type.

Last edited by Kiwirover; 21st June 2007 at 22:17..
Kiwirover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2007, 09:27   #32
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Yep thats the sort of thing to point out i.e the loops being different, I just want two obvious type photos to put side by side so there can be no confusion for my info thread.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 11:31   #33
Deacon

mgzt

Hello Can I throw another sapnner in the works or should I say a filter. I bought a FOC and tried to fit it today. and there isnt a location to fit it . I assumed I have an updated filter module that does not need orange clip fix. By the way it is the one that Tatts added. My problem is a damp spot on acceration at about 55-65mph, feels like it is missing. Just had the HGF done and a new turbo fitted on my 1.8T 2003 thought this might cure it but no luck. Well back to the reasn for the reply my part No. is WGS000018 from the sticker on thetop of the filter Comments appreciated for both issues
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 16:25   #34
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
I bought a FOC and tried to fit it today and there isn't a location to fit it. I assumed I have an updated filter module that does not need orange clip fix.
All the later filter modules require the FOC (post 2001 in the main). They never improved this unit. The FOC fits according to these photos from the Xpart Technical Tip TBX0501.

The clip must be located directly beneath the hose connector on the cap. The upper fingers straddle the vertical web and push into the rear of the band while at the same time the lower fingers clip in below the band.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 20th January 2013 at 17:08..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2014, 16:26   #35
Houzi
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Hi,don't want to dispute all you experts here but have just fitted the orange clip.I studied this thread and others first but ended up a little confused.Looking at these photos and some on the other Rover forum I have to say the clip is installed upside down.Maybe this has already been pointed out (sorry if it has)It's clearly made to be the other way up,the long legs of the clip slip up and under the edge of the housing securely locating it,then the short legs snap into place over the rim of the cap.I think it could probably fall off if installed as these photos(you have to admit it doesn't look secure)I've seen pics posted by 'Lates'? which show the correct position.Sorry if this is old news but didn't want anyone else to be confused as I was.
PS I also fitted new tank seal(ESR3806A)and am curious as to why it has 'diesel only' marked on it?..the old one hasn't....cheers
Houzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2014, 21:36   #36
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

You need to find that iconic photo by Lates. I haven't seen it for years, but other people have posted images of their clip fitted. I'll try to find one.

The tank port seal is common to petrol and diesel tanks. The original ones were branded BMW and had a 'This way down' marker.

Rimmer:http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-ESR3806

EDIT: Found this on the clip topic: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=103811

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 18th August 2014 at 21:48..
Old 18th August 2014, 21:38   #37
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Sometimes the top of the filter twists, that can cause confusion when trying to line it back up.
Old 18th August 2014, 22:34   #38
Houzi
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Ah yes that's a better pic TC...fitted upside down it ain't gonna do it's job.I'm lucky enough to have an MG dealership in my town so the seal was pucker,though I'm guessing someone does it cheaper here.Not sure I like the new MGs...first time I've clapped eyes on them....though one was sold while I was there,to a Chinese couple
Old 19th August 2014, 08:31   #39
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houzi View Post
Ah yes that's a better pic TC...fitted upside down it ain't gonna do it's job.
So which way is the right way? As I recall fitting mine, it was done as I described earlier, the same way as shown in the Xpart photo.

TC
Old 19th August 2014, 21:39   #40
Houzi
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

The way you showed in that last link was correct.The long legs of the clip are at the bottom.They're designed to push up under the rim of the filter body,disappearing from sight,then the short legs simply snap into place over the rim of the cap.Fitted upside down,though the clip straddles the vertical moulding on the cap, there seems nothing to mechanically stop the filter body turning apart from a bit of friction due to the pinching effect of the clip...I bet you could still unscrew it with the clip in place whereas if fitted properly it will be impossible as both upper and lower legs of clip straddle and lock the vertical mouldings on both the body and cap(the lower legs enter the rim of body further below the steel band)It all becomes obvious when you see it as it sits nice and flat and secure....ha ha,sorry that's such a long winded explanation.