Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th June 2008, 17:47   #1
Raistlin
Banned

75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

Default Beware if you bank with Abbey...

...because they might be taking money from you.

On a routine check of my bank account today I found, for the THIRD time in as many months, a debit for "Interest and charges".

It wasn't for much, amounting to some 5 pence but the response I got from Abbey was priceless.

The first time it happened they were full of apologies. The second time they were mortified and insisted that it would not, COULD not happen again.

This time?

"Oh, if you're complaining about a small sum being debited for no reason, we are aware of it"

When I commented that it was the third time, the person on the other end of the phone practically called me a liar until I quoted amounts and dates.

It seems that the fact that they are aware of it makes it OK. :curse:

I asked what they had done about warning customers to be vigilant. Answer? "Nothing. It's not something we want to be made public".

So they carry on creaming a little from god knows how many bank accounts and the onus is on the customer to take action.

Clearly, Santander's idea of customer service is NOT the same as mine.

Alliance and Leicester seem to be offering a remarkably high credit interest on their current account. Time to consider the move I think.

I've been with Abbey for over 30 years and this sort of thing NEVER happened before the sale to Santander.

In a nutshell, if you bank with Abbey guys, lookout for "interest and charges" occurring on or about the 5th of the month because it's up to YOU to tell Abbey they've taken money from your account, they seem to have abdicated all responsibility.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2008, 18:00   #2
pondweed
This is my second home

Waiter, Waiter! I seem to have a Roomster in my drive...

dont bank with anyone other than First Direct... they never screw up and even give you phone-hugs when you ring up.

(I made the last bit up)
pondweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2008, 18:51   #3
carlpenn
This is my second home

2000 Wedgey Blue 2.5V6 Beauty

All Banks are guilty of Creaming in one way or another and no Bank is totally infallible to "Screwing Up" .

Do you know why it takes 10 days to clear a Cheque?

According to the Halifax (My Bank)

"We have to perform money laundering and Anti - Terrorism checks on each cheque paid into your account"

Never laughed so hard in my life..............Nothing to do with holding your money for the Interest?

The Interest and Charges things is common with many Banks and not just Abbey.

My personal favourite with Abbey was when they authorised a Direct Debit on my Account WITHOUT my Signature on it for the sum of £300 a Month.

I didnt notice for 3 Months as I got quarterly statements and as I worked nights, I didn't spend much either. Then I had to fight tooth and nail to get my money back. Turned out it was a (ahem) duplicate Direct Debit, that was presented to the Bank by my HP Company for my Car. So I was paying two lots of cash for my Car !!

Happy Days..................
Old 5th June 2008, 18:53   #4
Departed
Retired

--

While I have nothing against First Direct, Smile are worth considering.

They always make me smile anyway!

Abbey had us on the wrong interest rate for months with a mortgage from them. Only spotted it when our fixed rate mortgage went up when the rates changed.

Nationwide managed to lose the cheque when I sold my first house, but then started writing to me at a house where I no longer lived to demand the money. They kept telling me not to worry when I rang up, but they kept sending the letters. Finally got them to listen when I rang up and told them to try repossessing it so I could go and laugh watching them try!

Last edited by Departed; 5th June 2008 at 19:12..
Departed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2008, 15:13   #5
Corwen
Loves to post

ROVER 75 CLUB SE 1.8

over a month ago, barclays had a good offer on home & contents insurence, pay up front then after a month get £50 back, great as its my bank anyway could not be simpler, a month has passed, not only did they not refund the 50 smackeroonies but took out another years payment, good job her in doors checks these things, saves me being accussed of dipping in the hole in the wall, im one of the lucky one's , how many who are not, to be honest i have always expected things to be done right, but lately ive checked many a thing i normally take for granted but found them not to be 100% as discribed, people [ and myself ] need to take more time in checking the bank statements
Corwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2008, 15:31   #6
tourerfogey
Banned

A chap I know was recently called to one side by his account manager when he visited his branch of Lloyds. Apparently they were 'concerned' because he was keeping a relatively high balance in his current account and pointed out that with debit card fraud etc this wasn't 'safe', to which he replied 'OK, if my money isn't safe in a Lloyds account I'll move it to another bank where it is'. Amusingly, this prompted much rather embarrassed backtracking by the account manager...
tourerfogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2008, 21:07   #7
Zeb
Banned

MGZT V8 & ZTT 190+LPG

Abbey National....when my wife became ill we claimed on our critical illness policies for her. Our mortgage was a 5 year fixed rate with the Abbey with a redemption penalty of roughly £6000 for paying it off early that lasted until the end of the fixed rate....fair enough really...anyway, I phoned them and explained that my wife was seriously ill and I could not work due to caring for her and that we wanted to pay off the mortgage, the nice lady on the phone explained that if I wrote and explained the circumstances the bank would waive the redemption penalty....they were true to their word.....

So, to conclude, to all Abbey customers....many thanks for your 5ps
Zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2008, 21:57   #8
AURORA MG
Banned

(EX)-ZT-T190SE in Aurora.

Exclamation

I took a credit card out with Abbey back in February. It was the card that was advertised on TV stating an interest free period for 13 months I believe & free balance transfer.

When the first statement came through with the transfered balance on it there was a £25 charge for the balance transfer. I rang them up for an explanation to be told that was a standard charge. I replied that is not what the TV advert said & reminded them that around a week or so earlier BBC Watchdog did a feature on Banks & Abbey came almost bottom - They refunded my £25.
AURORA MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2008, 22:01   #9
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

In fairness Abbeys credit cards have nothing to do with them and are run by an Independent Finance company out of Chester in their name.
They get 7% of Interest charge and Bonuses for new Customers.
All the rewards without any risk!
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2008, 19:03   #10
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

When I used Paypal, (not anymore!!) I went in to check it, there was a payment that had been made for over £700, that was more than I even had in my account attached to paypal. I immediately rang Paypal who did nothing at all except tell me how secure paypal was. I rang HSBC who said they could do nothing at all as no fraud had taken place. (WOT?) The money was going out but hadn't yet and until it had gone out they could do nothing. I would also be charged for going overdrawn. In the end HSBC sorted it out, I have no idea how but in the end HSBC just gave me the money then Paypal returned it also. Then HSBC realised and took it back off me.