Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th November 2018, 16:58   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default island of Sark could lose its electricity

on the news island of Sark could lose its electricity.
The small company that runs the generators says they lose £20,000 a month.
They have been forced to reduce the price from 62 p to 52 p per ?kw?
Here it is 14p for the same unit I think the news said.

Anyway they had the managing director on the radio and said "here are my accounts have a look" the head of state for Sark said he had no intention of looking at them, arrogant so and so
surly it would have been ideal for him to have looked at the accounts and then he could say if the company can or cannot survive on 52p.

yet again two people with opinions so opposite but one with no personal evidence just what someone else said

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2018, 18:21   #2
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

They need to send Elon an email for one of his renewable battery storage systems like they've built in south Australia.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto

Last edited by Lancpudn; 15th November 2018 at 18:24..
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2018, 21:39   #3
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Seeing they have been in this precarious position for many years surely someone would have had the forethought to plump for a wind generator and storage system for electricity.

Reading about the situation is seems like the island governors are about to commit suicide and take all the inhabitants with them. Very poor management.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2018, 00:25   #4
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

I did hear about the story on the news but didn't follow it too closely.

A business can not be expected to run at a loss indefinitely, they are a businesses not a charity.

This is a problem with privatised companies running what should be a state run utility service but that's another argument.
Andy_with_a_screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2018, 08:37   #5
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

BBC News this morning, every chance Sark will be plunged into darkness midnight Friday.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2018, 10:29   #6
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
BBC News this morning, every chance Sark will be plunged into darkness midnight Friday.

What a ridiculous situation it's become there, get the candles out of the cupboard.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2018, 11:29   #7
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

If ever there was an argument in favour of microgeneration, this is it. At the prices they've been paying for their electricity, it would only take a few years to recoup the cost of installing solar panels with battery backup for when it's dark.

Just to compare - after the first year of use, I calculated that the payback period for my own PV array was actually around seven years, rather than the approximate nine years I had originally estimated. I don't have a battery backup yet as the price hasn't quite fallen far enough, but my savings calculation was based on receiving the feed-in tariff of around £550 per annum and a purchase price per unit of 14.4p for all the power I buy from the grid - now increasing to 16.5p or thereabouts, which ironically shortens the payback period still further. So in less than seven years, I'll reach the point of being financially better off for the rest of my life than if I had done nothing. In Sark, they'd actually been paying 66p per unit before this all kicked off ...

I just looked up the average annual electricity consumption for the south-west of England, which is the nearest place for comparison, and it's 5596 kWh (the highest in the UK). If the consumption figures correlate, that means that the average household in Sark has been paying nearly £3500 a year on electricity bills!! Even without a feed-in tariff, for a Sark household to recoup the cost of a solar array with enough battery storage for over two days of electricity consumption would take little more than two years. It's a no-brainer.
A Nigerian mother of three
andymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2018, 12:48   #8
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymc View Post
If ever there was an argument in favour of microgeneration, this is it. At the prices they've been paying for their electricity, it would only take a few years to recoup the cost of installing solar panels with battery backup for when it's dark.

Just to compare - after the first year of use, I calculated that the payback period for my own PV array was actually around seven years, rather than the approximate nine years I had originally estimated. I don't have a battery backup yet as the price hasn't quite fallen far enough, but my savings calculation was based on receiving the feed-in tariff of around £550 per annum and a purchase price per unit of 14.4p for all the power I buy from the grid - now increasing to 16.5p or thereabouts, which ironically shortens the payback period still further. So in less than seven years, I'll reach the point of being financially better off for the rest of my life than if I had done nothing. In Sark, they'd actually been paying 66p per unit before this all kicked off ...

I just looked up the average annual electricity consumption for the south-west of England, which is the nearest place for comparison, and it's 5596 kWh (the highest in the UK). If the consumption figures correlate, that means that the average household in Sark has been paying nearly £3500 a year on electricity bills!! Even without a feed-in tariff, for a Sark household to recoup the cost of a solar array with enough battery storage for over two days of electricity consumption would take little more than two years. It's a no-brainer.
planning permission and building regs?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2018, 12:54   #9
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

Dunno how it is on Sark, but round here you don't need planning permission for a rooftop array. In any case, given their circumstances I suspect it should definitely fall under "permitted development"!
A Nigerian mother of three
andymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2018, 14:14   #10
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymc View Post

Hi Andy

Your figures are replicated here. Looks like you and I bought the panels at the same time. One of the best decisions we made.

We have a box of tricks that diverts excess power generated to the immersion heater - so most days we have constant hot water for free.

We have also bought those plug in ceramic heaters (JML) as they use very little electricity and when it’s cold but bright we find we can have these on and still have three green lights on our display!! Which means we are producing enough to power all that we have turned on, power the immersion heater for hot water AND still be exporting power to the grid!!

One thing we have learnt though is that to help keep efficiency as high as possible you do have to get the solar panels cleaned regularly. We did t do it until this last summer when it became obvious that green powder type algae had grown on the face of the panels.

The green colour of the water coming off them into the guttering was quite amazing. But doing this has been well worth it with increased output from the panels- we now plan to do this every year.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote