Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th June 2021, 11:38   #11
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts
Default Update

Hi all,

Getting back into looking more into this project.

So I can get the tourer rear screens remanufactured however they can only produce the glass and can't produce the frame the glass is bonded to.

Now realistically I don't think there will be much point in me just supplying the glass. Although some private glass fitters will most likely be fine removing the old glass from the frame and installing the new one, the issue is the wiring for the brake light (and also the glass opening switch) passes through the bonding between the glass and frame which will most likely be cut when removing the old glass.

So I think the best way to do these is I will have so source a number of old tailgate glass units and have my windscreen fitter come down one day to remove the old glass from all the frames. I'd then have to sort the wiring for the brake light and glass opening switch. And then on another day I'll have to get my windscreen fitter back down to install the new glass onto the frames with the new wiring passing through.

That way the tourer rear screens will be supplied as a straight swap solution plug and play.

Obviously with all the additional work the costs of the tourer rear glass would increase. I estimate the complete cost would be around £400-£500 each. That would be cost of the glass remanufacture (tooling cost + cost per unit), cost of sourcing tourer rear glass units to salvage the frames from, costs from my windscreen fitter for removing the old glass and installing the new one, and the wiring done by myself.

I'm going to get hold of another couple scrap tourer rear glass units and get my windscreen fitter to split the glass off one of them in September when he's here to install some of the heated windscreens from the last batch, so will get a much better idea of how things look with the glass removed.

I think this is going to be the best way to get these done, as supplying just the glass isn't going to be much use to most I think.

With this in mind, would there still be much interest in these?
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2021, 12:48   #12
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-sta View Post
Hi all,

Getting back into looking more into this project.

So I can get the tourer rear screens remanufactured however they can only produce the glass and can't produce the frame the glass is bonded to.

Now realistically I don't think there will be much point in me just supplying the glass. Although some private glass fitters will most likely be fine removing the old glass from the frame and installing the new one, the issue is the wiring for the brake light (and also the glass opening switch) passes through the bonding between the glass and frame which will most likely be cut when removing the old glass.

So I think the best way to do these is I will have so source a number of old tailgate glass units and have my windscreen fitter come down one day to remove the old glass from all the frames. I'd then have to sort the wiring for the brake light and glass opening switch. And then on another day I'll have to get my windscreen fitter back down to install the new glass onto the frames with the new wiring passing through.

That way the tourer rear screens will be supplied as a straight swap solution plug and play.

Obviously with all the additional work the costs of the tourer rear glass would increase. I estimate the complete cost would be around £400-£500 each. That would be cost of the glass remanufacture (tooling cost + cost per unit), cost of sourcing tourer rear glass units to salvage the frames from, costs from my windscreen fitter for removing the old glass and installing the new one, and the wiring done by myself.

I'm going to get hold of another couple scrap tourer rear glass units and get my windscreen fitter to split the glass off one of them in September when he's here to install some of the heated windscreens from the last batch, so will get a much better idea of how things look with the glass removed.

I think this is going to be the best way to get these done, as supplying just the glass isn't going to be much use to most I think.

With this in mind, would there still be much interest in these?

perhaps at the moment there may not be much interest due to cost and that they are still available from scrap yards but in time there may be a need for them. A couple of weeks ago a dealer wanted £25 for a rear screen

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote