Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th August 2021, 19:03   #561
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

You had nothing to feel embarrassed about Bob, you lost a close mate, of course that's going to get to you.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2021, 20:03   #562
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool 2nd part.

Joan and I chatted about her late husband Bernard who had been a great influence on Bob, he taught Bob a lot of things, especially about the garden. Joan asked after Val but before I could reply she suddenly said that she remembered that Val was in heaven and she apologised for thinking her comment had upset me. I said it was ok.

Bob had left me in his will his music collection of LP’s and CD’s. And whilst at the house I mentioned that I would have to buy a record player, again. Chris said that he had two record players, I replied that I would go around to his house and play the records. We laughed about it. I then asked Chris if he would like the records.
And I asked Sue if it would be ok for Chris to take them. Sue said it would be ok as long as Chris agreed. So I just have the CD collection, and there is about 200 of them. Mainly heavy metal but with a few not so heavy like Bryan Adams, David Bowie and the rolling Stones.

Time was rolling on and people were starting to leave. Goodbyes along with hugs and kisses. Never been kissed so much, and that was just the men, lol!!! I also said I would be going as I had to get back via the North Circular, and it was raining. So more more hugs and kisses. Sue made me promise to phone, not text, to say that I was back at Michael’s. I said I would, and I did.

One of the mourners asked if I could give her lift to the bus stop as it was still raining. I asked where she was going and she said Woodford Green. “That’s on my way back to Michael’s to I’ll give you a lift home”. That took her and everyone by surprise. I said that Bob would never forgive me for not doing my bit. Not really that far out of my way really.
And she was taken by the very Yellow interior of the car.
I dropped her off right outside her front door. She thanked me and trotted indoors.

I was soon back onto the A406 and it only took me 30 minutes to get back to Michael’s. Soon indoors for a cuppa and to change out of my suit into my old clobber. I unloaded the CD’s. I gave Michael a rough idea of the funeral. I never mentioned my being very upset. No point as the time had gone.

Many thanks for reading and the kind comments.

Keep safe.

232750. Over 3 months since I drove Banana.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2021, 20:43   #563
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

What a choice of music for a send off Thanks for the write up Bob
Old 7th August 2021, 11:52   #564
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Not going to plan…………

………………………….. has been a pain.

Whilst at the funeral I naturally turned my phone off, and left it in the car tucked away. As a result I never turned it back on till late Thursday evening. 5 missed calls, and 5 voicemails. 4 from Tim’s father asking me to phone as soon as I could. So I phoned back and spoke to Tim’s father apologising for the late return call. The message was about Elizabeth, she had been taken back to hospital as her breathing had got worse.
And it wasn’t looking good. Tim’s father said I was still welcome to over but Elizabeth obviously would not be there.

I cancelled the trip and said that maybe I could come over next week, I’m back in London in 10 days time. Tim’s dad said that would be fine and he would let Elizabeth know. I said I would phone him again on Sunday for any update.
The other missed call was from my cousin Christine saying that they would not be home till late on Saturday afternoon. I wasn’t bothered about visiting anyway. But I phoned back and left a message and said maybe another time.

So Friday’s plans were thrown out. So I set off on foot Friday morning to Waitrose to get some flowers for my visit Val at the cemetery . Then I walked back past the house and up to St.Andrews, which is in the opposite direction to Waitrose. The weather held out ok. Last visit was in September 2019. Michael had been there a few times in between. But no visits since March this year. When Michael takes any plants he has a tendency to leave them as he bought them complete with cellophane wrapping and sometimes paper.

So I was not surprised to find 5 pots with just soil in them, the plants were long gone. So I tidied up the grave and emptied the pots contents out. I left the empty pots by the bench, common practice so it helps anyone else visiting if they need a pot or two.
The flower arrangement pot was laying on its side. I took that over to the tap and cleaned the muck off. Filled it up with water and took back. I placed the cut down flowers in the pot. I cannot remember the name of the flowers which is annoying as I have them growing in my garden at home. I had taken some scissors with me from the house to cut the stems.

I started off with the news about Bob, but I believe Val already knew that. I waffled on as I do. The memories came back and rolled down by cheeks. Time to clear up and get back to the house for a cuppa. And see what Michael had been doing. As it turned he had done absolutely nothing. Not a thing. Before I went out we had discussed about going to Waddeson Manor, National Trust house the other side of Aylesbury. So I naturally assumed he would get the tickets booked as he has a laptop. No nothing had been done.

So it was down to me to make the arrangements. Now this where it starts to go downhill. There’s me thinking as he has a nice new laptop his printer would be a Air Printer. So after I had made all the arrangements I set the iPad a task to seek out the printer. Nothing. So I went in search of the printer in case it needed turning on. Moved a few boxes and found the printer and turned it on, still my iPad could not locate it. Turns out it’s not a Air Printer. Only now does Michael tells me he has to plug the laptop in via the USB port. So I now had to do it all again on his laptop. At last we printed off the details.

Turned out it was a cracking house to visit. You park the car and take the shuttle bus to the house. Cost £4 return but it was worth it as it was now raining.
We had a wander around the house, once owned by the Rothschild family.
We found the stables where one of the cafe’s was located. Michael had a cream tea and I had a sausage roll. The only cream tea worth having is a Cornish One.

To be continued……………

Thanks for reading.

onen hag oll
Old 7th August 2021, 12:23   #565
squire
Posted a thing or two

MGB GT, 2 Morris Minor Travellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
………………………….. has been a pain.

Whilst at the funeral I naturally turned my phone off, and left it in the car tucked away. As a result I never turned it back on till late Thursday evening. 5 missed calls, and 5 voicemails. 4 from Tim’s father asking me to phone as soon as I could. So I phoned back and spoke to Tim’s father apologising for the late return call. The message was about Elizabeth, she had been taken back to hospital as her breathing had got worse.
And it wasn’t looking good. Tim’s father said I was still welcome to over but Elizabeth obviously would not be there.

I cancelled the trip and said that maybe I could come over next week, I’m back in London in 10 days time. Tim’s dad said that would be fine and he would let Elizabeth know. I said I would phone him again on Sunday for any update.
The other missed call was from my cousin Christine saying that they would not be home till late on Saturday afternoon. I wasn’t bothered about visiting anyway. But I phoned back and left a message and said maybe another time.

So Friday’s plans were thrown out. So I set off on foot Friday morning to Waitrose to get some flowers for my visit Val at the cemetery . Then I walked back past the house and up to St.Andrews, which is in the opposite direction to Waitrose. The weather held out ok. Last visit was in September 2019. Michael had been there a few times in between. But no visits since March this year. When Michael takes any plants he has a tendency to leave them as he bought them complete with cellophane wrapping and sometimes paper.

So I was not surprised to find 5 pots with just soil in them, the plants were long gone. So I tidied up the grave and emptied the pots contents out. I left the empty pots by the bench, common practice so it helps anyone else visiting if they need a pot or two.
The flower arrangement pot was laying on its side. I took that over to the tap and cleaned the muck off. Filled it up with water and took back. I placed the cut down flowers in the pot. I cannot remember the name of the flowers which is annoying as I have them growing in my garden at home. I had taken some scissors with me from the house to cut the stems.

I started off with the news about Bob, but I believe Val already knew that. I waffled on as I do. The memories came back and rolled down by cheeks. Time to clear up and get back to the house for a cuppa. And see what Michael had been doing. As it turned he had done absolutely nothing. Not a thing. Before I went out we had discussed about going to Waddeson Manor, National Trust house the other side of Aylesbury. So I naturally assumed he would get the tickets booked as he has a laptop. No nothing had been done.

So it was down to me to make the arrangements. Now this where it starts to go downhill. There’s me thinking as he has a nice new laptop his printer would be a Air Printer. So after I had made all the arrangements I set the iPad a task to seek out the printer. Nothing. So I went in search of the printer in case it needed turning on. Moved a few boxes and found the printer and turned it on, still my iPad could not locate it. Turns out it’s not a Air Printer. Only now does Michael tells me he has to plug the laptop in via the USB port. So I now had to do it all again on his laptop. At last we printed off the details.

Turned out it was a cracking house to visit. You park the car and take the shuttle bus to the house. Cost £4 return but it was worth it as it was now raining.
We had a wander around the house, once owned by the Rothschild family.
We found the stables where one of the cafe’s was located. Michael had a cream tea and I had a sausage roll. The only cream tea worth having is a Cornish One.

To be continued……………

Thanks for reading.
Not far from where I used to live, which was Wigginton, near Tring.
squire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2021, 16:08   #566
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool The continuation ……………..

…………………………. Pretty good for me as I had managed to walk 7.4 miles yesterday. Beat my last top score by almost two miles. And Michael had managed nearly 5 miles, his best since before his accident in last March. Not long after dinner I decided to turn in. Been a long day with mixed emotions. Went to bed at 21.30 and finally woke up at 07.30. Slept right through.

The plan for Saturday was to spend part of the morning moving stuff, and I mean stuff, around in the small box room. This is where I would be sleeping Sunday night. Laura was coming over on Sunday, ready for our early start on Monday. So was going to sleep in her bedroom, where I had been sleeping since arriving on Wednesday.
Oh! My! What a lot of papers, boxes of Michael’s various bits of paper associated with his work. He had retired 5 years ago from full time employment, but had gone back for one or two days a month. He looks after the pension side of the company business.

By the time Michael appeared I had cleared most of the space. But with his help we got the single bed into position. And now we could close the bedroom door.
Kettle on for a nice cuppa. Then what to do today? Steam railway or something else. Michael suggested that I had an easy day. What with the drive up plus the funeral then the drive out yesterday. I’m driving up to Earls Colne near Colchester Essex tomorrow then driving home on Monday.

So we decided against the steam railway but a venture up to the Green Dragon, on St.Albans Road Barnet, for a late lunch it would mean me driving, that’s fine by me as I’m staying off of the falling down water, for now.
Excellent food. Michael had the duck served with croquettes of potato’s plus veg. And I had the rib of beef with a potato rosti baby mushrooms and lemon yogurt dressing. It melted in the mouth.

Michael had the white chocolate torte served with raspberry ripple ice cream. I settled for the blood orange sorbet. Michael had a pint of Aspall’s cider and for me a pint of soda and lime. £54 well spent.
Back at the house for a easy afternoon. Apparently we are having fresh salmon for tea served with brown bread Michael’s style.

Busy day tomorrow for me. Off to visit my grandparents/uncles grave in the morning then onto to visit my god daughter.

Thanks for reading.

onen hag oll

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 7th August 2021 at 16:09.. Reason: Spillin’
Old 9th August 2021, 06:02   #567
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Sunday, and the unexpected phone call…………..

………………………………… The plan was for me to leave about 10.30 and pop into a supermarket and get some flowers, beer and sweets. My god daughter’s Mum Shelley phoned and asked if I could delay my visit to them by an hour as they had to take the dog to the vets. Not a problem except I didn’t tell Michael. Thus it would give me to have a leisurely drive up to Earls Colne.

The route is straight forward A1-M25-M11-A120 to Halstead then onto Earls Colne. I took my time at a steady rate and never hit any traffic till got almost to Halstead, then it was stationary. Took some time before knew what the hold up was, emergency road repairs. Gas of water? No idea.

Soon I was pulling up outside and my god daughter Kirra was waiting for me. “Uncle Bob, oh! How I have missed you”. And she is just 7 years old. Then Dad came out, Mike, and helped me in with the shopping bag full of goodies. I must admit I did go over the top with the sweets, but they are sensible kids. Waiting inside was Shelley and Domonic, no idea what they are feeding him but he is as tall as me and at 13years old as well. Shelley gave me a hug.

Flowers for Shelley that contained roses, her favourite flower. I gave beer to Mike. And I said to the kids, “Mummy said that I was only to give you each a small bag of sweets as you are both too fat to have anymore”. All untrue but it was worth the looks on all their faces. Once the laughter had stopped the kettle was on for a coffee.

Then the dog joined us, a Beagle called Peppa. I didn’t get anything for the dog as she has had tummy issues in the past. So I just made a fuss of her. Later she fell asleep with her head on my lap. Apparently that was a first as she has never done it with anyone else.
We sat and chatted, and more coffee, the family are planning to come to Cornwall next year on holiday so was asking me on the best places to stay in a caravan or log cabin. Mike said he have a Google around, and more coffee.

Kirra is doing gymnastics at school and wanted to show me all her gym stuff. So I followed her up to her bedroom, looked like a tornado had passed through. So reminded me of Michael’s house. “Dinner is on the table”, was the shout up the stairs and with that she was gone.
Roast chicken dinner with all the trimmings. And very nice too. Kirra is a fussy eater. Some days she will eat chicken and some days not, today being one. Same with everything on her plate, depends on her mood swings.

Still 4 plates cleared out of the 5. Kids were allowed ice cream for dessert. I declined. Domonic was offered the choice between washing up or taking the dog for a walk. He took the dog and went with his Dad. So Shelley washed up, I dried and Kirra put it all away.
The dog walkers were back, and was games time. We started to play cards and my mobile rang. It was Michael, I knew it had to be something serious for him to phone.

I took the call in the kitchen, panic stations on the phone. Oh! How he gets in a tizz. Laura’s friend had phoned Michael to say that Laura wasn’t very well, but she didn’t know what was wrong. Michael was phoning me to let me know he was getting a cab and going to the flat to find out what was wrong. “Ok, just let me know and we’ll go from there”, was my reply.

I told Shelley that I best make a move back to the house and wait further news. Kirra hugged me and said, “Please don’t stay away to long uncle Bob as I miss you so much”, well that brought a few tears. I hugged her back and promised to be back soon. Domonic shook my hand and said thank you for his sweets. Handshake from Mike and another hug from Shelley and I was off.

The roads were clean and green all the way home, the roadworks had gone. Got back to the house in 75 minutes, pretty good. And what did I find, Michael sitting in his chair watching the telly. “Well, how is Laura? What happened”. I asked.
Turns out it was a upset stomach and nothing serious. Michael had just panicked as per norm. He never even rang for a cab as Laura had phoned him to explain.
So I had cut short my visit for nothing.

But Laura said that it would be best if she put off her trip to Cornwall as being unwell coupled with a long car journey might not be a good idea.
So that’s just two of us then travelling back.

Thanks for reading.

onen hag oll
Old 9th August 2021, 18:13   #568
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Home, and glad to be.

The plan was for a reasonable early start with Michael. It almost went smoothly but Michael got in a right two and eight. He “lost” his hospital appointment, not going till the 18th. So the house was turned upside down looking for the piece of paper. It was sitting behind the clock. Panic over.
Banana was loaded up in the rain and off we set at 08.10. First stop was at the Shell garage to get some Banana juice.

The A1 was wet but we made it to the M25 ok. Lots of variable speed limits, lots of stop start. Soon onto the M4 and we was away. Michael was ok, it’s his first long car trip for over 3 years. Reached the A34 junction with no issues. Banana was running sweet.
Zoomed down the A34 to the A303. And everything was running ok, very light traffic. We stopped at “rip off” Starbucks coffee at Weyhill services. We used the loo and bought two teas.

We had taken sarnies and had the last of the Belgian buns. With the tea drunk and the rubbish binned we was off. The traffic came to a standstill at Amsbury. It then took us 45 minutes to get past a field with stones in it, aka Stonehenge. Banana did not like sitting in the traffic, the fan was cutting in and out and then she started to over rev. If I blipped the loud pedal it settled down again.

Every time we came to a halt so she would over rev. I was going to stop in a lay-by to let her cool down but each stopping place was full of overheating cars. The traffic cleared a bit and she settled down again, till the next jam. Basically it was stop start all the way to Honiton.
But once on the M5 she settled back into her Warp Factor 3 mode. Michael was totally unaware of the problem and I didn’t see any reason to tell him.

We hit torrential rain on the A30, reduced our speed to 25 mph with front and rear fog lights on. Stayed like that till we got to Exeter Airport, then the sum came out.
Onto the M5 and again onto the A38 and Warp Factor 3 mode was reinstated. Cruised without any issues right up till we hit the traffic jam trying to get over the Tamar Bridge. Although we was stuck in traffic the over revving didn’t come back.

Soon pulling up outside home. Took Michael inside and showed him the kettle, tap where we keep the water, container with the tea bags. Left him to make the tea whilst I unloaded the car. Easier to do on my home. Got everything in, and the tea was made. I showed Michael his room and explained the house rules.
Tea was drunk and we went shopping. Took the Bear to give her a run. Let Banana cool off.

We was going to eat out tonight but have decided to eat in. Lamb chops, beans, baby corn on the cobs. Melon for dessert.

Banana covered 734 miles virtually trouble free. Happy with that.

Thanks for reading. Keep safe.

onen hag oll
Old 9th August 2021, 19:39   #569
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

A great read Bob, if a dog falls asleep on your lap then you are family Keep racking up the miles, the moon club sticker is safely tucked away for you.
Old 24th August 2021, 09:56   #570
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Great to have company, but...................

................................ it's better once the house is yours again. Once I had returned home after taking Michael home, I did stay over to see my niece. The spare bed was stripped and then put back under my bed, fold away legs. Lots of washing to be done, doubtful we could put it out as it was raining, so onto the horse to dry out.

Elizabeth had been allowed home after her hospital scare, chest infection. But has since phoned me. It was nice to hear her voice but her breathing is very labouring. So not on the phone for long. Instead she sent me an email telling me that her dad's house was now sold, only on the market for three days and she got the asking price. The plan is to move out of London and buy a bungalow in the countryside. I sent her a few estate agent links down here in the West Country, just to get an idea on house prices.

In the email she told me about the fiasco that her uncle, Roger, had been through. He was in quarantine in New York when he suddenly disappeared. Smuggled out of America and turns up in Jamaica to be with his wife and children. Flew to Canada before getting a flight to London. But the Americans were after him for fleeing the hotel. He was arrested as he got off the plane at Heathrow. From here on the news is a bit vague. Wife and children are holed up in a hotel in New York. Roger? No idea where he is.

My garden had been neglected for nearly 3 weeks, so let the weeding commence. That was 3 bags taken down the tip. Then grass cut and hedge trimmed, another 3 bags to go down to the tip. Still plenty to do now that summer has made a welcome return to Cornwall.
I have started attending some small MG/Rover meets. Either Bear or Banana are taken. Banana's over revving is caused by the throttle body being knackered.

Matt has cleaned the throttle body out but the fault lays with the MAF sensor. So a new throttle body is on order plus new gaskets. As soon as it arrives Matt will fit it to Banana.
"The Sprout" which Matt bought off of Ian G has been sold onto another forum member, "Daisy Dawlish". Tania & Mark already have a 75 Tourer, "Bluebell", in Ski Blue, there is a 2nd 75 Tourer that is being stripped as it is rotten underneath.
But Matt took a few parts off of "The Sprout" before selling it on. And Banana now has "Redfive/Sprouts" headlight covers.

Since the "Cambelt" incident on April 21st 2021 Banana has covered another 3,000 miles. All thanks to Dave Linc's and Cable Tie for all the work carried out. My love for the car has been rekindled. I'm so glad that I have so many friends within this great club to help out.
The Bear has been a great back up car, OK so she likes a drop of Bear juice occasionally, usually once a week. But Banana is still my first love

Our itinerary with Michael, all in August.
4th. Staying with Michael in Totteridge. Went to the Orange Tree up on Totteridge Common for dinner.
5th. Bob's funeral, a much missed Best Mate.
6th. Flowers for my Val.
Then with Michael we drove to Waddeson Manor near Aylesbury, National Trust. Another cream tea for Michael.
7th. Lazy day. We went to lunch at "The Green Dragon" in Barnet. Simply gorgeous food.
8th. Off up to Earls Colne to visit my god daughter, Kirra, and family.
9th. Returned home to Cornwall with Michael. We ate at home, I cooked lamb chops, taters n veg.

10th. Off to National Trust at Cotehele, took the Bear. Michael had a cream tea. Out to dinner at the "Crooked Inn" at Tremanton. Turned out to be the best dinner we was going to have over the coming week.
11th. Drive out to Mount Edgecumbe/Cremyll and back to Anthony House, National Trust. Then onto the Cottage tearooms further down the road towards Jupiter Point. No cream teas to be had, sold out. So Victoria sponge cake and tea. Sat out in the garden, and it rained. Very different.
Out to dinner at "The Rod and Line" in Tideford. Michael had Lobster and chips, £40, and I had a bowl of spicy chilli con carne, £12.95.
12th. More National Trust, this time we visited Lanhydrock House Bodmin. Yet another cream tea for Michael.
Allen and Val came round to the house to meet Michael. Then we convoyed up to Louis Tea Rooms on Kitt Hill Callington. Good old fashioned home cooked food. Every night is OAP night with specials. Main course, dessert and a pot of tea for £7.25 per person.

13th. Allen came round to collect Michael and I and took us to Plymouth Fish Market, Allen's old stamping ground. Allen, with his Dad, their own fishing boat. Michael bought a live crab plus two skinned Dover Soles. Allen was going to prepare the crab for us to collect later on. Allen dropped us off home, the Dover Soles we put in the fridge.
Then we was off to the Bodmin/Wenford steam railway. Yet another cream tea for Michael, I had a ham roll.
Back to Waitrose to buy some salad plus a couple bottles of wine. Onto Allen's to collect the prepared crab.
Michael said it was the best crab he had ever eaten. I had a ham salad.

14th. Local today. Visited the Saltash Heritage Centre, my first visit. A very interesting place to see. Then we walked onto have a look at the rebuilt station in Saltash. Finished off with a walk up the street to the cafe for another cream tea for Michael, just tea for me.
In the evening we was out to dinner, again, with Allen n Val to the "Who'd Have Thought It" Inn at St.Dommick. I drove so that Allen and Michael could have a beer. Michael picked up the bill.

15th. Banana to the garage to top up her fuel tank ready for the return trip. Then I took Michael to the restaurant at Tamar Nurseries for his last cream tea, I had one as well but gave the cream to Michael. Then we had a drive out to Gunnislake to the railway. So Michael could see the end of the line. Home via Tavistock.
Dinner at home tonight. I cooked chicken with potato waffles and veg.

16th. We left Saltash at 06.20 and was having a cuppa in Michaels house by 11am. We went shopping. Then for dinner we had our Dover Soles plus veg. Those fillets of fish were huge compared to what you buy from the fishmongers.
17th. Laura came over and we went to dinner at "The Orange Tree", where Michael paid the hefty bill.
18th. I left Michaels at 04.30 and was home by 08.55.

In all a cracking time was had by all. But so good to get back to normal.

Many thanks for reading.

Keep Safe till we meet again.

onen hag oll