Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th September 2021, 19:09   #571
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool Time for a change…………….

………………….. in the garden.

A couple of weekends ago my neighbours across the road, Karen & Gerry, invited me over to a bbq. Been here over two years but I’d not been into their back garden. Wow! It is certainly an eye opener. My garden is twice the size of there’s but they have utilised the space to the maximum. They have done away with the grass and have laid Astro turf. Decking is “L” shaped with the sofa also being “L” shaped.

The bbq is down by the rear gate, has a fitted roof over the top so that Gerry can cook in the rain. Over the decking, and furniture, is a massive great big umbrella. The base is bolted down to the decking but the centre pole is easily removed, so there is no chance of tripping over it, but I’d have a go at falling over it.

Gerry has fitted tasteful solar lighting around the decking. There is a spotlight over the bbq.
All this has given me ideas to revamp my back garden. Allen n Val have already been round and helped me to move the recycling box. That is now down the side of the garages on top of the new decking, where the eyesore of a greenhouse once stood. And that has been gone just over a year now.

Allen has also put up my new house sign, follows my support of the Royal British Legion and the Poppy Appeal, I’ll get a photo posted up.
Whilst across the road at the bbq a couple of neighbours joined us, bring your own falling down water. I had a cool bag with Inch’s cider but also took over a bottle of my own made Strawberry n Mint Gin.
Well, it went down a treat, in fact I have couple of orders for a couple of bottles to be ready for Christmas. Challenge accepted.

In other news, Banana has been a pain. Broke down on the A30 with seized rear brakes, rescued by the AA who freed the brakes up. Two days later I had to call the AA out again when the fuel pump relay failed. So she had to go into the local garage to have new rear callipers fitted. And Trikey very kindly sent me some brand new fuel pump relays.
Once she was up and running I returned to to Matt Darkes for the new throttle body to be replaced. At least the over revving kas now stopped.

The Bear has had issues as well, her new lights failed to work but Matt soon found the fault in the shape of a bad connection in the ballast box. So I ordered new HID 1 bulbs and new ballast boxes. Handy to have spares.
I’m now the proud owner of a headlight polishing machine. Had a go at polishing the lights on Allen’s Rover 75. Not bad at my first attempt.

We have news from England. My niece, Laura, is planning a visit to come and stay with me for a week or two. Michael has been given the all clear from the hospital concerning his broken ankle.
But the news concerning Elizabeth is not so good. Been taken back into hospital twice now, chest infections both times.
Her Dad’s house has been sold. All the contents have been taken out and put into storage. The new owners have said that the two cars plus the motorbike can remain in the garage till new storage can be found.

No news concerning Roger and family, I have no idea where they are. Last I heard they were waiting to be returned to Brazil. And Roger was fighting the extradition.

Got another classic car show to attend with the Coffee & Cars Club this coming Sunday at Hazelbury Mill near Chard Somerset. Will be taking Banana.

Till we meet again, keep safe.

Thanks for reading.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2021, 19:35   #572
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Getting excited…………….

………………………….. yes, even at my age. My lovely niece, Laura, is coming to stay with me for up to 10 days. She is somewhat burnt out after a very eventful two years. What with the Covid, then she lost two jobs again due to the epidemic, broke up with her boyfriend of 13 years. Then they made up, but now they are living apart again. She is making a go at her own business, she designs and makes gold and silver jewellery. She works with 4 others from a unit in Camden, London.

Travelling down by train, there is only 3 trains a day that stop at Saltash from London. So I’ll meet her at Plymouth in my new car. You might have read my other post about “Strawberry”. A 2009 SMART car in a tasty shade of Pink. Bought it from Matt Darke’s wife Shirley. She has upgraded to a soft top Beemer.
Laura has a licence to drive, so I might let her borrow “Strawberry” should she want to go out on her own.

And last week I met up with some friends who used to own a MG TF and used to attend the Halfway House meets in Brentwood Essex. They were staying at a the Weary Friar pub in Pillaton Cornwall in a rented cottage. Unfortunately they were not on a happy holiday but had come down for the funeral of there daughter-in-law who had collapsed and died at the age of 38. Leaving a husband and three children. The youngest being 5 years old.
Their son lives about 200 hundred yards from me.

About two years ago their son, Barry, happened to mention to his Mum and Dad about a Yellow MG ZT parked up the hill with a large stuffed Banana in the passenger seat. Plus there was also a Silver ZTT with a Teddy Bear in the passenger seat. It clicked with Mum and Dad who told their son who the cars belonged to. Barry was a bit surprised by the news.

We had a nice catch up chat. They will be returning from time to time to help with supporting their son along with his late wife’s parents. My friends live up in Ipswich but are thinking of moving closer to their son. Dad is a HGV driver and Mum works in the NHS.

In other news I had a lovely weekend away with the gang. We stayed in the Union Hotel in Penzance. All the cars were MG’s, 2 ZT’s & 2 ZTT’s. We had Allen, Val, John, Vera, Matt, Shirley, John, Nina and me. The hotel is a bit on the old side but we was only doing B&B. The breakfasts were good, the young waiter looked after us well. We did have one evening meal there, in fact we were the only residents to have a evening meal there.

We ate out at another pub further down the road, the Turks Head. Food was good. On the Sunday evening we ate in the local Wetherspoons. Cheap and cheerful, I had the curry and it was bloomin’ ‘andsum.
Saturday we left the cars at the hotel and had a walk around Penzance. We found the quirky cafe, Allen, Val and I had been here before. Well worth a visit to the gents loo.

Sunday and we went one better, again we left the cars behind and caught the bus to Marazion, which is opposite St.Michael’s Mount. We cancelled our trip to the Mount as their was far too many people making the trip. As the tide was in you had to get a boat across, and the queue was very long. So we had a wander around the town. Pint of Rattler in the pub. Then we caught the open topped bus back to Penzance. Then onto a smaller bus to continue our journey to Mousehole.

Again, Allen, Val and I had been here before about 2 years ago. We had a nice stroll around the village and harbour before returning to Jessie’s Dairy for a take away cream tea. We then sat on the harbour wall to put the jam on first then the cream on our scones, although I swapped my tub of cream for a jar of jam with Val. Then it was the bus back to Penzance, and the bus stopped a stone’s throw from our hotel.

I had taken Banana, but she did play up. Had to wiggle the fuel pump relay to get her to start. Both the trip down and the trip home Banana was the convoy leader. Not sure how I got elected for this. But we let them keep up with us.
Started using the super unleaded and she did seem to that bit better.
But another trip up to Matt’s is on the cards to change the fuse/relay board over for a new one.

Bear has been to Pro-Tint in Torquay to have her rear and side windows tinted.
And then a trip back to Matt’s to find out why the n/s/f headlight pod had filled up with water again. But that is now cured. Still got problems with the screen washers. The tank needs to come out so that Matt can strip the pump down and clean out all the gunk that has built up in there.

News from across the bridge isn’t very good. Elizabeth is back in hospital with breathing difficulties, been in hospital for the last 12 days. Tim’s parents are keeping me informed of her progress.
As for Roger and family, they are under house arrest whilst they fight the extradition back to Brazil. Neither of Tim’s parents are bothered about him and family. I got the feeling that they may have fell out over something. Not my job to pry.

At the end of the month my other friends, yes I have more than one, are coming down to stay with me for a week. John, Lisa and John Louis came to stay back in 2019. Then they also brought the dog, but sadly Sapphire has passed away. Going to be strange without her being here.
So I’m gearing up for a few liquid evenings. Got plenty of shop bought, and my homemade, gin in the cupboard. Also got a few bottles of single malt. Will be visiting the Rattler Farm to top up with some cider. I’ll take Laura there, and get her to have a few samples.

Got my Covid booster jab booked for next Wednesday and then the following Friday my NHS eye check up.

I cannot wait to retire to have rest.

Keep safe.

We will meet up at some point.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
Old 18th October 2021, 12:42   #573
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Laura's visit.

Talk about short notice of Laura coming down, I received a text on Friday, 8th, morning informing me she was catching the Noon train from Paddington and would be getting into Plymouth at about 15.30. Luckily I had already prepared the spare room. The bed was all made. Space made in the wardrobe with a few spare coat hangers.

I took Banana to meet her, my first visit to Plymouth station so needless to say I missed the car park, twice. But parked up at 15.15 and Ł2.20 to park.
Sure enough Laura was the last one to appear from the train. I went to take her holdall from her and it dragged me to the ground. My word it was blooming heavy. We had a hug, and she burst into tears but not from sadness but from happiness of seeing me.
We was soon driving home.

Now Laura suffers from chronic fatigue, which means she gets tired very quickly. Where most of us can store sugar in our bodies and the energy gradually seeps out we can go all day without a nap. Alas Laura is unable to store that energy. So she eats a little but often to keep her energy levels topped up. Coupled with this she is dairy intolerant and only eats gluten free food. So this was going to be a great challenge for me to work round. Took me just 1 day to adapt to her way of life.
So after we dropped her stuff off at the house we went shopping for gluten free food and dairy alternatives.

So we had chicken salad for our evening meal followed by fresh fruit. Laura turned in at 20.00 and slept right round to 10.00 Saturday morning. I carried on with my chores but without making any noise. Saturday morning I was doing gardening when she finally surfaced. She looked rough. I made her some coffee and she had some cereals. I told her to go back to bed. So off she went. I carried on gardening as the weather was sunny and warm.
I sorted out another 12 strawberry plants to give away.

At about 16.00 Laura finally reappeared and asked how the shower worked. She apologised about being tired, I said it didn't matter as long she was rested. After her shower she got dressed and came down again. So we made a pot of tea and had a chat about things.
We prepared dinner together. Lamb shanks, sprouts and spuds with fresh fruit for dessert. After we washed up Laura said that she would like to go for a walk. It is part of her yoga workouts that she does. So I put my jacket on and we had a 20 minute walk which seemed to refresh her a bit. All the way round she hooked her arm in mine. She kept apologising about her tiredness. I just said it didn't matter and I was adapting to her way of life.

When we got back we made another pot of tea and then she went to bed at about 20.15. I cleared up and sat down to chill out. I googled about chronic fatigue and read up on the issue. No cure but it can be controlled by drugs, which Laura takes anyway. I had a single malt and turned in by 22.00.

Sunday 10th and I was in the shower and dressed by 07.00. Made the tea
and I had my breakfast. I prepared dinner in the slow cooker, we was going to have a beef casserole. It was another sunny start to the day. Laura appeared at 09.30 and looking more rested. She made some tea and had her breakfast. We was going to Polperro, today and taking the Bear. So she went and got ready which took about two hours.
So off we went on the 15 mile drive to the fishing port of Polperro. We pass through Looe to get there. Laura just kept commenting on how beautiful the scenery was.

Soon parked up and we took a steady stroll down to the harbour. It is a very pretty place. We walked around the harbour and onto the beach. Then doubled back to the tea shop next to the museum for lunch. Laura had a crab salad and I settled for a ham salad baguette. We had a pot of tea. After lunch we walked up the cliff path on the left side of the harbour. When I first moved down I down the same walk but had to keep stopping to get my breath and I never reached the top. But this time I done the walk all the way to the top without having to stop. I was well pleased and got a kiss on the cheek from Laura.

We strolled back down and we both took some photo's. We then made our way back to the Bear. On the trip home I went for the scenic tour. Again Laura loved the scenery. Home to the wonderful smell of the casserole. Laura said that she needed a nap. She set her alarm for an hour. Once she was rested we ate our casserole. More fresh fruit for dessert. After we washed up and made some Lemon n Ginger tea and had a chat about things. And at 21.00 Laura finally turned in. It had been a long day. So I had mt single malt and turned in as well.

Monday 11th. I was up early as usual and got my washing on. I knew I could get it out onto the line before Laura surfaced. Once that was done I done some weeding on the side garden. Sure enough it was nearly 10am before Laura came down for her breakfast. She asked if it was OK with we could have a lazy day today. No problem I said. I suggested that we could take Strawberry into town and see if we could get any gluten free pasty's, then a trip down to Waterside for a stroll along the waterfront. Then continue onto Tamar Nurseries to get some winter pansies. We could have lunch there in the restaurant

And that is what we did. We got the gluten free pasty's from the little Oggie Oggie shop, the big pasty bakers, Rowes, don't stock them. Had our stroll along as far as Brunel Green. And up to the nurseries for lunch. Once home Laura went for a nap and I planted out my 18 pansies.
We cooked our pasty's with some veg. They was nice but I'd not buy the gluten free for myself.
After we had washed up Laura asked me how I had met Val. Well, out came the photo albums and I told her the story. The memories were soon rolling down my cheeks. I had to go to my bedroom and compose myself, Laura knocked and came in with some tissues and gave me a hug. She said that she knew how much I loved Val, and how much I missed her. Laura missed her a lot as well.

We went back to looking at the wedding photo's. Laura must have left me at some point but I cannot remember at what time, but there was a glass of malt looking at me. And it was nearly midnight. I best turn in after drinking the malt.

Tuesday 12th. The day started off well but ended with Banana coming home on the back of a recovery truck. She is certainly getting her money's worth out of the AA.
After our usual start to the day we left home at Noon to drive to the Minack Theatre at Portcurno which is the other side of Penzance, roughly 80 miles away. And I decided to take Banana to give her a good run.
If you have never been to the Minack Theatre then it is worth a visit. Or google it and be amazed.
We spent a lovely afternoon there, Banana had run sweet on the trip down. We had a walk along the coastal path before returning to Banana. Got in and turned the key and she started but then the engine just died.

The time was 17.30 and it would be at 21.15 before we was rescued. I'm so glad Laura was with me as I went into meltdown over my anger at the car, but I was more concerned about Laura. A strange electrical issue ended with a duff battery.
I phoned Allen and explained what had happened and asked him to go around to the house to put the lights on, which he did.

It was 23.35 before we got home. And I was shattered and cold, I felt sick and could not stop shivering. Once indoors Laura made me a hot drink, and she put the heating on. I was made to sit down whilst she made me a sandwich. Neither of us had eaten since about 14.00. Once i settled back to my old self Laura said she was putting down as another experience. And thanked me for keeping safe. But I said it was the other way round. Laura made me go to bed whilst she cleared up. As soon as my head the pillow I don't remember anything till I woke up at about 9am.

I had a shower and went downstairs to find Laura having her breakfast. I was surprised. She said that she wanted to let me rest for the whole day. We could sit out of the decking in the sunshine and just have an easy day. I have never been so thankful at having this sensible young lady looking out for me.
I did go out and try to start Banana but the battery was dead. Oh! Well I would have to order another battery.
After we had rested for most of the day, I did feel a lot better. We went for a walk down to Anthony Passage then onto towards Trehan but we turned back when we got to the railway bridge.
Once home we warmed up the last of the casserole and had dinner.

Thursday 13th. I was up early showered and dressed. We have a local tyre and battery shop which opens at 07.00. So I ordered a battery for Banana. I took Strawberry to collect it. Oh! How they laughed when I turned up in the Pink roller skate. But home and swapped the batteries over. Banana started, and I left her ticking over for about 20 minutes before turning her off.

I was pleasantly surprised to find Laura up and dressed when I went indoors to get cleaned up. We was off the Carnglaze Caverns at Liskeard. We took Strawberry first to Trago Mills for a spot of lunch then onto the Caverns. You have to wear a hard hat, which they supply, and have suitable footwear before you are allowed into the Caverns. They hold music concerts, along with a cinema and they are licensed to hold weddings in the Caverns. There is bar in there as well but was shut.

It was an experience in there as above your head is a colony of horseshoe bats. So no flash photography.
Once we came out we returned the hard hats and then we went on the circular woodland walk. There is a viewing platform which overlooks the village of St. Neot.
Then back to Strawberry and we then cut across Bodmin Moor towards Jamaica Inn for a pint of Rattler cider. We had a walk around the gift shop where I found a fridge magnet with the words for a special friend. That was for Laura.

Laura had already bought me a piece of slate with a beautiful Poppy design on it. We left the Inn and we cut back across Bodmin Moor towards the village of Dobwalls. Then back onto the A38 and home.
Laura was cooking dinner tonight. We had gluten free pasta with vegetarian pesto along with flame grilled chicken pieces with green beans. I'll try anything once. We then both had a glass of my homemade Blackberry gin.
We sat and chatted. Laura was now more relaxed and went on to tell me about why her and her other half, Oliie, had split up. I told her on what thought about the whole matter. But she still wants to make it work.

Friday 15th. I had a eye examination at 12.20 down the street. Laura was staying in and starting to pack ready for her trip home on Saturday. As her large holdall was not looking too good I lent her my large blue suitcase. I'll not need it for awhile
And for the 4th year I'll not need new glasses as my eyesight is still good. I also had my eye diabetes check done at the same time. All OK.
I tried to get some more Gluten Free pasty's for Laura to take home but they had sold out. Then home to find Laura cooking lunch. Gammon steaks and pasta. She was also cooking more pasta to take on the train with her for her lunch/dinner. To save her cooking once home.

We took the Bear to Healey's Cider Farm, home of the Rattler cider. The Healey farm is also home to the Donald Healey car museum. But sadly the museum is closed for the foreseeable future. But we had our samples of cider, well Laura worked her way through about 14 samples including one of Gin.
Laura bought a couple of bottles to take home with her. I bought 3 cases of cloudy Rattler. I have more company coming down on the 24th.

Then we drove out to Pentire Head near Newquay to watch the sun set over Fistral Beach. We returned home via The Halfway House on the A38 at Liskeard for our evening meal. Laura had another pint of Rattler. I settled for a soft drink.

Saturday 16th. Laura was up early again. She wanted to go back to Polperro before getting the train home. There was a fast train that was stopping at Saltash at 16.34 and she wanted to catch that. I had explained on Friday she would have to get up early if we was going to the beach.
She had packed my blue case and it was blooming heavy. But I put that in the back of the Bear along with her rucksack.
Then we drove to Polperro for our final visit. We had a stroll up onto the East Cliff where she went rock climbing. I sat on the bench and watched. Once she was back we popped into the 3 Pilchards pub for lunch.

Laura had 15 king size prawns with chips and a side salad. I settled for the ham ploughmans, and that came with a pork pie as well along with Salad, granary bread, spicy chutney, coleslaw and a large pickled onion. Laura went for another pint of Rattler and I had a soft drink.
The time was trotting on and it was 15.20. Time to head back to the station. We made it with 8 minutes to spare.

Then it was hugs, and a few tears from us both. Then she was on the train and gone. She phoned me at 20.20 to say she was home at the flat in Camden. Thanked me over and over for her wonderful holiday. I cannot wait for her to come back.

Photo 1. Polperro Harbour.
Photo 2. Looking across the entrance to Polperro Harbour.
Photo 3. Laura at Minack Theatre.
photo 4. The stage is set at the Minack Theatre.
Photo 5. Laura at the cider farm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC2803.jpg (137.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC2818.jpg (130.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC2852 (2).jpg (135.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC2872.jpg (141.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC2972.jpg (127.3 KB, 27 views)

onen hag oll

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 18th October 2021 at 12:46.. Reason: Photo information.
Old 3rd November 2021, 14:40   #574
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool More visitors...........................

............................ arriving on the 23rd October. My friends from Kent. I had done an extra shop but Lisa had ordered a home delivery, to me, via Tesco's. That turned up at 16.00, I couldn't believe how much she had ordered. Anyway boxes emptied and the goods were left out on the counter.

I had prepared a chicken casserole in the slow cooker earlier in the day, and my mouth was watering. I was expecting them to be with me by 17.30 but it was nearer 18.45 before they got to me. They got held up by road works, car accident and a traffic jam on the A303 at Stonehenge.
Still they were here, kettle on whilst they got unpacked. I had made up all the beds including the camp bed for their son, John Louis, to sleep on.
I put some spuds on to have with the casserole.

After dinner we washed up, John Louis was allowed some sweets before he turned in for the night a bit later than his normal time of 20.00. Nearly 21.30 before he settled down. Both John and Lisa were tired after the long trip so both decided to turn in at about 22.30.
I had a large single malt and cleared up the last bits in the kitchen before I turned in.
Now I'm sleeping on the Z bed in the spare room. Last time I used it about a two years ago one of the slats broke. And again another of the slats snapped. Too late to repair so it was an uncomfortable night for me.

Sunday.
After breakfast we all went to Looe in the Bear. Weather was gorgeous with blue sky and warm sunshine. We walked up the West side of the harbour then retraced our steps and went around the East side towards the beach. John Louis was feeling a tad unwell with a sore throat but brightened up once on the beach. Him and his Dad went rock climbing. Lisa and I stayed on the beach.

We bought pasty's for dinner, and found a café to have a spot of lunch. Then another wander around. Found a chemist to get some child's Lemsip and some Strepsils for John Louis. Then a trip into the amusement arcade for a bit of light hearted fun. Won nothing.
We headed back to the Bear for our trip home. Stopped off at the Copley Arms in Hessonford for a pint.
Home to heat up the pasty's, I fried off some potatoes that were left over from the day before. Cooked a sprouts as well.

John Louis turned in early, He had his Lemsip in bed.
Then it was cider, gin and malt whiskey time. Boy! They sure can drink. I only had a few ciders and two single malts. Then I went up to repair my bed. Should have done it earlier but I forgot. But I made a temporarily repair. Must have done it right as I slept right through.

Monday.
We was off to Polperro, in the Land Rover. Same route as going to Looe but through and out the other side. Only about 5 miles further on. Parked up and we walked down towards the harbour in the warm sunshine. John Louis was feeling better. Again we went either side of the harbour before finding our way onto the beach for a stone skimming competition. John Louis is very competitive, and does not like losing. So John and I had to fail on the last throw.

Found a pub to have some lunch but we was too late to order food. So we went with out.
Drove home via Seaton to have a walk along the beach. There are always at least two footballs carried in the Landy. So that was a game of football on the beach. Again we had to let John Louis win, otherwise we would still be there.
On the way home we stopped off at Codfathers in the Street to get fish n chips to eat at home. Bloomin' ansum as well.
More falling down water was consumed after John Louis went to bed.

Tuesday.
Off to Charlestown in the Landy. Visiting the shipwreck centre. Well worth a visit. But boring when you are an eight year old. Still Lisa kept him busy.
Charlestown is where Poldark is filmed along with the cliffs of Cornwall. All the country house shots are filmed in Bristol.
So there is lower section of the harbour to walk round. Plenty of places to eat scattered around. We stopped at HarbourQ and had the most amazing pulled pork with dirty fries meal. It was huge, and all three was was beaten by the meal. John Louis had some Taco's, and they were too much for him.

We carried on walking around till I missed my step and my right knee connected with the cobble stones. I thought I had broken my knee by the amount of pain I was in. But John and Lisa got me to my feet. A café stallholder came over with a chair for me to sit on. Then she very kindly bought me a glass of water to drink. John is a trained first aider and he had a look at my knee, which was very swollen.
Next thing I know there was a couple of paramedic's there. They had been called to a earlier incident at the harbour.

And they had seen me fall. I hobbled up to the ambulance where my knee was examined. And being a diabetic I was also checked over about my blood sugars. Blood pressure and temperature taken. All ok, but my knee was the main problem. But it was not broken. So they strapped it up and they then drove the ambulance around to where the Landy was parked. They gave Lisa strict instructions about how to see how I was at home. Any concern then phone 111 or 999.

I felt an absolute idiot in tripping up like that but glad I was with friends to help me. When we got home John and Lisa wanted to swap the beds around to I could sleep in my own bed. But I said there was no need as I would sleep on the couch downstairs. "No you are not", said Lisa. So they swapped my Z bed with the camp bed. John Louis was happy with that.
John made me a hot drink and I was given painkillers and sent off to bed. Where I slept for 10 hours straight.

Wednesday.
I was going to drive the Bear to Tintagel with them but they both said NO to that. John looked at my knee, and the swelling had gone down and a bruise was starting to come out. He took the strapping off and that made it feel better. I managed to get into the shower ok. That refreshed me. They wanted me to rest at home but I said I would come along but just wouldn't do so much walking up and down the cliffs.
As it was the castle at Tintagel was off limits owning to adverse weather conditions.

But we still made a day of it. Lisa made me take some more painkillers. I don't like taking them as they make me so tired. But the biting wind kept me awake. I did go up the hill to look over the towards Merlin's cave. The rest of them climbed further up. I then decided to go down towards the café and the loo's. They caught me up up at the bottom. So after a wee and a cuppa they was going down to the beach. I stayed where I was, with another cuppa.

Once they came back i was made to travel back up to the town in the shuttle bus, a Land Rover Defender. They came too, I was glad for the ride as I doubt very much I would have made it. We had a wander around the town but I was really feeling very tired, and the knee was playing me up. But I kept quiet.

We then drove up to Boscastle, I have such fond memories of here with my Val. I managed to walk as far as the harbour wall. They went down to the beach, not a proper beach as of such. Then whilst they climbed back up and went to the harbour I phoned pub to book a table for dinner. Most of the usual ones were fully booked but the one at St.Domonick had a table available at 19.00.
When they came back I told them that we had a table booked.

I was made to sit down halfway back, and John would bring the Landy down to collect me. Lisa sat with me and told me off for walking too far. I must admit I was feeling it for walking as far as I had. Then the Landy was there. Once in the warm I wanted to sleep but John kept me awake as I was the navigator. We made it back to the "Who'd Thought It Inn" in good time. Had a lovely meal and a couple pints of Rattler.

Then home to a warm house. I had put the heater timer on before leaving this morning. John Louis was very chatty this evening, a sure sign he was back to normal. He loves reading amongst his other interests of football, swimming, karate, cubs and more football. He plays for the Dartford under 11's and trains at the Gillingham under 11's ground. He has won countless trophies at football. Not bad for a 8 year old. Mum and Dad don't push him to do more but leave him to make up his own mind at what he wants to do.

Once John Louis went to bed out came the gin's. Lisa said that I had a choice of a couple of painkillers or a gin or two. But they amount to about the same, so I went down the gin path. The knee was feeling better after 5 gins but I turned in soon after. They too turned in as they were going home the next day and didn't want to leave to late.

Thursday.
I got up fairly early, showered and had my breakfast. The phoned for a cab to take me to the garage to collect Strawberry. It had been towed in a week earlier after the gearbox actuator had failed. The SMART garage had phoned me yesterday to say it was ready. So Strawberry was home before any of my guests surfaced. I told them that the garage had dropped it off otherwise I would have got another telling off for going to collect her.

Then it was time to say bye bye. John Louis thanked me for a lovely stay, neither Mum and Dad had asked him to say that, and it came as a surprise to them as much as me when he said it. I know it's daft but I could feel the tears welling up. Lisa gave me a huge hug and she also had a few tears. John gave me a man hug and told me to get a doctors appointment about the knee.
And with that they was gone.

They sent me text to say that they got home in a shade over 5 hours.

It took me nearly 3 days to sort the beds out and put the spare pillows, duvets and blankets away. 3 lots of washing done in the same time. I love having guests but oh! the clearing up afterwards.
My doctors appointment is in 2 weeks time.

There is other news but I'll post that up soon. Plus I'll get some photo's posted up as well.

Thanks for reading.

Keep safe.

onen hag oll

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 3rd November 2021 at 14:47.. Reason: Spellin'
Old 18th November 2021, 12:10   #575
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool I have unexpected news from........................

........................................ England.

Elizabeth and her son Thomas plus the in-laws are moving to Portugal. That has come as a shock. But it seems that the in-laws have a second home there. Owned for over 35 years, and Elizabeth had holidayed there with her late husband to be. It is a villa on the outskirts of Nazare and is not far from the beach. The in-laws were spending more and more time there, and were thinking of moving there anyway. But the pandemic put everything on hold.
So the plan is for Elizabeth and son will stay with the in-laws for a few months then she will look for property to buy.

A new life, and a new start in a new country. Best decision for their future. And they are flying out on December 21st to spend Christmas there. So I'll be travelling up to London to say my goodbye's on 11th December. I might have to come up by train as I'm still having problems with my right knee after my fall.
I have been to the doctors and now I'm waiting on a letter for an appointment at the hospital for a x-ray/examination. Meanwhile my knee is strapped up again.

Roger and family are back in Brazil. But they are free, no charges. But they have had to surrender there passports. Not that will stop Roger leaving the country as corruption is rife their. I have not heard from him.

In other news.
Banana has thrown a "steamy" hissy fit. But at least we have a new relay/fuse board fitted which seems to have cured the electrical issues.
Strawberry is back in the garage for work. And following from the phone call today looks like I'll be scrapping the car as it needs too much money spent on it.
Bear is running ok. Just need to get the windscreen washer motor fixed.

I'm gradually getting the back garden cleared up, but not easy with this dodgy knee. But if I take my time then it will get done. Planted out a new bush in the side garden, and the front garden is looking colourful. Had a few dry days so I have managed to get the grass cut in the back garden.

In between all this I'm sending out the club calendars, 14 so far, with 8 gone to Holland. I drove up to Sparkford to meet up with Reebs to collect the calendars, I also dropped off a box of club stuff for him to sell on the club stand at the NEC. Now waiting for Reebs to give me a time to meet up again to collect the rest of the calendars plus collect whatever stock he has left.
Running the shop helps to keep my mind active.

To be continued..............

onen hag oll
Old 23rd November 2021, 14:51   #576
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Well, I wasn’t expecting this news…………..

………………………………. Seems that Elizabeth has already flown out to Portugal along with her son. They are going to get the house ready for Christmas. So my trip to London is doubt now, unless she comes back which I cannot see happening. Still life must go on.

Matt has taken the Smart car back and given me my money back, which will come in handy as now the Bear has thrown its dummy out of the pram. Booked in for repair at the Mercedes garage. I was very impressed by the guvnor’s honestly concerning the Pink One.

I drove Banana up to Sparkford yesterday to meet up with Reebs to collect the balance of the calendars and collect the NEC Club Shop stock. Beautiful day but that wind was very cutting. Reebs brought his V6 ZT. He has posted up a photo in the General page of the two Monograms parked together. Banana ran sweet on the 193 mile round trip.

Knee is still playing me up, taken the support off as it makes me itch. But been slapping on the Deep Heat cream just before I go to bed. Makes it easier to walk the next day.
I cannot believe that I have been in Cornwall three and a half years now. Seems like I have lived here a lot longer than that.

Off to meet a friend tomorrow in Looe. Last time we met was about 5 years ago at the MG-Rover meet in Whitsable in Kent. Mike has a Trophy Blue ZT. He is on holiday in Devon with some of his family. Be good to catch up. I might even take a camera with me. I’m hoping the pasty shop is open as I fancy a nice pasty for my tea tomorrow.

Keep safe and thanks for reading.

onen hag oll
Old 18th December 2021, 14:59   #577
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool December, the month I dread………………

…………………………. Never been able get it out of mind “the what if’s”. Almost 11 years since my Val took the hands of the Angels. 11 years ago tomorrow, my birthday, I had to make that decision to stop the drugs and to turn off the machine. Not an easy decision to make on your own. I only consulted one person, Michael my brother-in-law. He said that he would respect my decision. We went through “the what if’s” but at the end of the day it was for the best that I would have to let Val go.

The doctors said that she would slip away after about 36 hours, but they obviously didn’t know my Val. It was almost 72 hours before she let out a little sigh and slipped away. I had been by her side for the last 11 days, trying hard not to leave her side,. I only went home once in those 11 days. Long enough to have a shower and a change of clothes. I even brought clean clothes back with me so I could change into clean without leaving her side.

The nurses kept me watered and fed, I never asked them for this. But being nurses they were doing what they do best. Val had visitors from the care home staff. Who came and sat beside her and chatted away. At these times I stayed at her bedside, but nodded off for a short while. A couple of times I awoke to find a pillow under my head and a blanket over me.
Michael would come in on his way home from work. Miles out of his way as he lived in North London and we was in West Essex. But he came to chat with his sister.

That Christmas is a blur, apparently I attended a Christmas Carol Concert at the Dome on Christmas Eve. No memory of that. I stayed with friends in Kent over Christmas. (We are no longer friends but that is another story. People can be so cruel at times). I have no recollection of that Xmas, none at all. I was given Xmas presents but cannot tell you what I got. I even got up from eating Xmas dinner and wandered off. I was found sitting in the garden, in the snow. No idea how long I was there. Brought back into the warm and sat in the chair by the fire as I was shaking. Given a hot toddy but I have no recollection of any of this.

There are photos of me sitting with others, but with a far away look on my face. At one point my friends considered phoning for an ambulance as they could see the change in me. I was going into deep shock. Whilst they phoned 999, I wandered off again only to be found in the kitchen washing up, and making a pot of tea.
The ambulance arrived, the paramedics sat me down and gave me a cup of tea. They both chatted to me like we had been friends for years, yet I didn’t know them. I vaguely remember that conversation as we got talking about cars.

Next thing I remember was waking up in bed, I had my PJ’s on. But no recollection on how I got there. It appears that the paramedics persuaded me to go to bed. They helped me to get undressed and into my PJ’s. Then they gave me a “magic” drink. Full of sedatives. I slept for almost 13 hours.

This year I have missed my Val more than any other year barring the first one. I have cried a few times this December.
So it came as a shock to be phoned on the 7th December to be told that my good friend Allen aka Ratty was in hospital having suffered two heart attacks. They “lost” him for nearly 3 minutes before they got him back at A&E in Liskeard. Then it was blues and two’s to Derriford.
So the came tears once more.

Then Allen phoned me two days later saying that he was ok and would be home by the weekend, as it turned out he was staying in for at least another 5 days owing to a couple of blood clots.
But once home he phoned to let me know all was ok with the world. The tears were those of relief.

More sad news and that of my neighbour, Paul at no.26. He had been suffering from MD, he had a stroke 2 years ago. Then he contracted Motor Neurone Disease. It was heartbreaking to see his health slowly declining. His wife was constantly going back and forwards to the doctors, then the hospital. Back in March this year the specialist said that he had about 2 years before the end, yet less than 9 months later and he was gone.

So you see why I don’t like December much.

There is other news which is more cheerful but I’ll leave that to another day.

So have a Merry Christmas and keep safe.

onen hag oll
Old 24th December 2021, 15:49   #578
JohnnyBG
Avid contributor

ZT-T

Thanks, good to know you're not the only one, so: Dad Died Christmas Day 15 odd years ago. Hell of a drive from North Yorks to Selsey. Mum into St Richards at Chi. Died 21 February following Christmas, on wife's birthday.

I get by through remembering they only ever wanted my happiness, not my tears. Keep your chin up.

JohnnyBG
JohnnyBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2022, 12:13   #579
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Absolutely no regrets……………….

………………………….. on this day 4 years ago I put my flat, in Barkingside, up For Sale. It means I have been in Cornwall for three and half years. Where has that time gone? Look what has happened in the world since then. And not forgetting those that we have lost in that time.

News from England, not anything new other than Elizabeth and family are now living in Portugal. Unless they come back to England for a visit it will be very doubtful that we will meet again. I don’t have a passport nor do I want one either.
They have settled in ok and all there furniture is now with them. Elizabeth has made arrangements for her late fathers cars and motorcycles to be shipped over in the next few months. 2 classic Alfa Romeo’s in mint condition. The bikes consist of a Triumph Bonnevile, BSA and a Suzuki. Elizabeth has been riding the Suzuki in England.

As for Roger, now that is a mystery. I thought he was back in Brazil. But it seems that him and family are now living in India. No idea why he should be living there. I have not heard anything from him for sometime. But Elizabeth keeps in touch.

Banana appears to be cured of all her problems and now has another 12 months on her MOT. As for the Bear the problems are mounting up. I had planned on selling the car this year. But that’s on hold till we can get her fixed.

Allen is gradually getting back to being fit again. He had two heart attacks back in December
The first attack was in the car, Val made him drive to the A&E unit at Liskeard where he suffered the second attack. They lost him for 3 minutes but got him back. Then it was blues and two’s back to Derriford hospital. He had two stents put in. Spent a further 10 days in hospital before being allowed home.

I spent Christmas with them. Then on the 29th we travelled by train to Penzance for a overnight stay in the Premier Inn. We was joined by Debbie, Paul, Matt, Shirley, John and Nina. We got the bus into Mousehole to see the Xmas lights. Had a pint in the pub. Then got the bus back to Penzance and into the Wetherspoons for food. The restaurant at the hotel was closed for evening meals but would be open for breakfast.

We left the next day and home on the train. Matt & John and wives had travelled down by car. So we said our goodbyes before getting back onto the train back to Saltash. Debbie had left her car at the station. So she gave me a lift home. Then she dropped her Mum n Dad off before driving back to the station to collect Paul. Think he had started walking home so not sure if she met up with him.

I had a X-ray on my knees, been having a fair bit of pain just lately. Apparently I have Osteoarthritis. Need to lose weight and get plenty of exercise. So the diet has started and whilst the weather is dry I’m back to doing my walks.
When I first moved here it used to take me 60minutes to walk into town, I now can do the same walk in 30 minutes. So that’s a good improvement.

Yesterday I had drove to Bude and done a 4 mile walk along the canal and across the beach and up onto the cliff path. The weather was stunning, temperature hit 17 degrees.

So NO GOING BACK………………………

Many thanks for reading. Catch up soon.

onen hag oll
Old 15th February 2022, 14:24   #580
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool The unexpected letter……………….

…………………………………………… that arrived today.

Some of you may remember that back in November 2017 I received a letter from my niece informing me of the death of my big brother David, her dad. Not only did the letter contain the news of his death did, but news that the funeral had also happened as well. A massive double shock that lead me having to cancel my trip to Scotland that year.

I have never got to the bottom of why I was never told that he was ill or his death and the funeral. Trying to get the information out of my sister in law was a nightmare. She agreed to meet me at her solicitors twice, but failed to turn up. The letters that I sent to her address, and to the solicitors were all returned to me unopened.

I even went to the house only to find a For Sale sign, no one in either although the furniture was still there. I asked a couple of neighbours but they said they had no idea where my sister in law was. I suspect they were told not to tell me. I did think about driving to my niece’s house in Sussex but in the end I didn’t bother.
Then about 18 months back I got a phone call via my mobile from the her solicitors asking me if had I moved as the letters sent to my old address, in Barkingside, were being returned unopened. I informed the solicitors that I had indeed moved, and they had been informed. I could even prove it as they had sent me a letter to my current address.

Anyway the phone call was that my sister in law wanted to speak to me on the phone via the solicitors. She wanted them in on the call in case I got angry and might start getting abusive. Me? Abusive? That was water under the bridge for me now, but I would still like the truth.
I agreed to the phone call but I would like my solicitors to be present. Her solicitors said that would be ok.

But of course I could not go my solicitors office because of the lockdowns. But I phoned them and they said we could do the calls via Zoom. I got back to her solicitors with the information. A date was set, but my sister in law failed to attend the meeting. And that was the last I heard.

So roll on till this year. Whilst sorting through a box I found in the garage I came across a load of photos that I had totally forgotten about. Many of the photos were when my late father was in the conflict fighting those pesky foreigners across the channel.
But I also came across loads of photo’s of my brother and his family, including a few photo’s of his first wife, Carole.
So I sorted through all the photo’s and those of my brothers I put in a envelope along with some of David’s swimming certificates that were there.

I sent the envelope off to the address I had of my niece in Sussex. I sent a covering letter explaining about the photo’s, I also sent my new address. I did write saying that the letters I had sent to her Mum were returned to me unopened. I just wanted to know the truth. I had received a note from my niece back in 2019 telling where my brothers ashes had been scattered. And I did visit the cemetery near Chichester to pay my respects.

So imagine my surprise when today a letter arrived from my niece, I hadn’t expected a reply, and in the letter she thanked me for a reminder of the memories from the past. Also thanking me about the swimming certificates as she had no idea that they existed. But imagine my surprise when in the letter she said that my brother’s ashes HAD NOT BEEN SCATTERED, Her Mum hadn’t decided what to do with them yet.
But in the letter she said once Mum had made up her mind they would let me know, and perhaps we could meet up for a coffee at that time.

I toyed with the idea of getting in touch that I had a note from Melanie, my niece, telling me that they had been scattered, and that I still had the note informing me. But I have left it at that. I’m very doubtful that I would be told on what it would happen. More than likely a few days after, of course it it is true. It’s all very confusing.

Also in the letter my niece told me that they had no idea how ill my brother was, which totally contradicts the first letter that I got. In that letter it tells me he was diagnosed with incurable cancer. And in this letter received today my niece has told me that my brother had said not to tell anyone, including me, that he’d had died.
I find that very hard to believe as we was very close. I may never know the truth.
We will wait and see.

There is other news but I’ll leave it for now.

Keep safe, meet up soon. Thanks for reading.

onen hag oll

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 15th February 2022 at 17:41.. Reason: Spellin’