Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st September 2021, 07:38   #1
mbev51
Banned

Removed

Default Domestic heating supplies

Hi, I’ve just ordered more firewood for our wood burning stove, should have enough for the winter now, used wisely. Will also be topping up the c/h oil tank shortly. My aged parents only have gas c/h, they seem to use the radiators even in the summer! Luckily they also have a fireplace/chimney that I could sweep and recommission in a hurry. I feel confident that we can survive the winter even if fuel supplies are interrupted. With any luck things will be fine and gas supplies will continue uninterrupted albeit at a higher tariff.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2021, 07:43   #2
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default Good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbev51 View Post
Hi, I’ve just ordered more firewood for our wood burning stove, should have enough for the winter now, used wisely. Will also be topping up the c/h oil tank shortly. My aged parents only have gas c/h, they seem to use the radiators even in the summer! Luckily they also have a fireplace/chimney that I could sweep and recommission in a hurry. I feel confident that we can survive the winter even if fuel supplies are interrupted. With any luck things will be fine and gas supplies will continue uninterrupted albeit at a higher tariff.
It might be an idea to sort out the parents chimney whilst it's still reasonable weather. I'll be using a mix of coal (supertherm) and wood for the not too cold evenings but, I'll just be using the coal when it gets really cold. I get five days or so out of a 20kg bag of coal, the fire is still glowing the morning after and I'm kicking the covers off in January! The chimney is like a free radiator going through the bedroom.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2021, 13:25   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

we are almost all electric, there is a log burner but I dont think that will be much use for the Sunday roast

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2021, 14:29   #4
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,431 Posts

Anyone thinking about going down the log burner/open fire route may like to have a read of this.

What types of fuel are being banned and when?
Sales of two of the most polluting fuels, wet wood and house coal, will be phased out from 2021 to 2023:

Sales of all bagged traditional house coal (through retailers, supermarkets and DIY stores) will be phased out by February 2021
Loose coal sold direct to customers via approved coal merchants will end by February 2023
Sales of wet wood in units of under two cubic metres (such as at DIY stores and garden centres) will be restricted from sale from February 2021
Wet wood sold in larger volumes will need to be sold with advice on how to dry it before burning from this date
Manufacturers of solid fuels will also need to show their products have a very low sulphur content and only emit a small amount of smoke
These regulations will apply in England only
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2021, 16:18   #5
mbev51
Banned

Removed

I’ve got a good reliable supplier of dry logs from a local estate. They are numerous others close by who do it as a sideline, I cannot see legislation affecting them.
Old 21st September 2021, 18:52   #6
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default And.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbev51 View Post
I’ve got a good reliable supplier of dry logs from a local estate. They are numerous others close by who do it as a sideline, I cannot see legislation affecting them.
The coal I mentioned `Supertherm`is suitable for use in smoke free zones as it burns very clean and has a great thermal value.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2021, 09:57   #7
mbev51
Banned

Removed

I’m a wood man, even though it’s a multi fuel stove, I only have Berber wood on it. My other c/h heating is oil. I have a backup lpg heater and electric portable radiators. I’ll have enough stocks in shortly to last the winter.