Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd November 2006, 16:08   #1
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Default Would you buy a CDT FBH remote control ?

Feelers for the market?

Following the annual rush of, what is a FBH, how do I test it, can I convert it to a Parking Heater type threads that start around September I have been approached by someone who has been toying with the idea of producing a cost effective simple add on box that might even fit neatly inside the gap at the front of the battery box to automate the FBH and convert it to a parking heater.

It would also offer a secondary function of providing an easy way to operate the FBH occasionally in the warmer months to keep it healthy

The Box would contain a remote receiver which would latch a manually adjustable timed on/off relay (say 15 minutes min to 30 minutes max) for the FBH and a second relay to optionally operate the ATC panel this could potentially operate after the FBH has been running for a few minutes to get the water heated first

It would have three or seven wires to connect up depending on what the owner wished to do.

In its simplest form it would have just three wires to connect up, one to ground one to +12v and one to the FBH and would I hope be a simple five minute installation. This would pre heat the engine but not the passenger compartment but obviously instant heat would be available as soon as the ignition was turned on.

Optionally there would be the opportunity to run the other four wires provided from the engine bay into the passenger compartment to turn on the ATC panel. As you know I have done this a few times already and running the cables is very easy but takes quite a while to do.

Price would be in the £75-£125 bracket (certainly less than a T80 plus bits and bobs) depending on what it cost to buy the various bits put it together and make the exercise worthwhile i.e have enough profit for a beer or two

Reason for this post, would there be enough interest for me to follow it up?
Remember for most owners automating the FBH is a relatively easy DIY exercise anyway but from the various threads a relatively plug and play option may be attractive to many owners.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2006, 16:34   #2
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

Keith

Sounds good - I'd be interested in the parking heater bit, not too worried about the atc - depends on the difference in cost as to whether it's worth it - this time of year I'm at work before the temp gauge gets above 1/4 (I commute less than a mile, but I need the car several times a day, that's my excuse), so not only is the heater still cold, it can't be doing the motor much good either.

Hope there's room enough in the battery box for this and the Tu3 that's already there!

Thank you for your research

Malcolm
baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2006, 17:02   #3
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

The cost would be the same I don't think it would be sensible for the sake of a couple of quid to produce one without an ATC switching option so it would be at the owners discretion whether they wanted to run the extra cables or even pay some one else to do it.

Yes I was thinking the same thing, would there be room for TU3 and receiver
I think that's a yes but (there is always a but) have you noticed the battery box gets pretty warm inside when the FBH is fitted (running or not) so we don't want to cook things by putting anything hard up against the wall of the battery box, I have my synergy in there and wrapped up in pipe lagging and that is a nice tight fit.
Old 23rd November 2006, 17:26   #4
Rufras
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDT

Keith,
I think this is a brilliant idea, I too have looked at doing this to mine but there seems to be a lot of conflicting advice on the threads and this has made me unsure. I know a lot of people on here would go for the convenience of a simple plug in box.
Rufras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2006, 18:15   #5
madone
Posted a thing or two

none

Keith

Count me in for the plug and play if you perfect one
madone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2006, 21:42   #6
Simon
Banned

-

Well, although I don't count for one of these boxes as I'm a petrol engine blokey, I do feel a vote on behalf of those of us who like easy options. I personally think that if such a plug 'n' play device was available, it would be widely recieved with many interested people.

:lol:

Last edited by Simon; 23rd November 2006 at 21:42.. Reason: Typo's
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2006, 00:04   #7
welly
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDT Auto Conn. SE Saloon

Keith

I would definately be interested in this, a couple of questions though.

What sort of range for the remote?
What sort of lead time would we be looking at?

Pete
welly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2006, 08:32   #8
simonsmith
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Rover 75 FBH Remote

You can include me in for a remote timer please.
simonsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2006, 10:12   #9
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Quote:
Originally Posted by welly View Post
Keith

I would definitely be interested in this, a couple of questions though.

What sort of range for the remote?
What sort of lead time would we be looking at?

Pete
Early days Pete, a bit of background, a friend of mine has just gone into Semi retirement and is now doing freelance electronic development and prototype work. We were down the pub speculating if there would be a market for the CDT fan control/test unit Dee Cee developed and I mentioned there was also an opportunity to develop a parking heater solution as long as it was cheaper than the Webasto one and was a lot less hassle to install.

The range of any remote would be dependant on what is commercially available and within Budget. Rover Ron has already identified a Maplin device that may have adequate range but whatever was used it would be unlikely to have the range of the Webasto T80 type remotes which can be up to 300M, but should be enough to allow operation from indoors over a short range.

At the moment there is no lead time because it is just an idea, and ideas grow for example the same unit could also optionally have a built in clock based timer. I have the timer in my car but I have never ever used it that is because I don't use the car for a regular commute so only ever use the remote. For other people that leave and go home exactly the same time everyday the remote may be less attractive than a fixed timer.
Old 24th November 2006, 10:27   #10
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

Thanks again Keith, this time for the comment about wrapping the Tu3 - mine's just stuck on the inside of the batt box, right next to the Webasto!

Tomorrow's job is to move and/or insulate it

Malcolm
baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote