Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st October 2021, 11:03   #162001
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Morning all, I had a chat with Andy this morning this morning. He's coming in November and we will call to see for a coffee then, I'm looking to see you them Andy
Old 1st October 2021, 11:51   #162002
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Has anyone put the heating on yet? It feels chilly today, some issue with our boiler - there is hot water, but its not getting through a metal valve in a pipe, so we have booked a heating engineer to visit tomorrow. Chatted to Rod about the heating, as yet he has not put it on
Yes, Phil, heating on here as required for the last week or so. I run it on the lowest boiler setting throughout the summer too for an hour a month or so and sometimes longer and more often depending on need. I think that it is a false economy to let the house go too cold at any time, wallpaper can start to loosen and it creates an environment for nature to try to gain the upper hand with things like mold.

Our system failed a couple of years ago and I was not confident in the ability of the pros??? we paid to look at the problem. I eventually bit the bullet and ended up sorting it myself albeit with more than a little help from google and youtube. Like most people do, as I suspect, we regarded the central heating system as fit and forget but not anymore as a result of that experience. Ours simply gunged up, they all rust internally regardless of any inhibitor within them. A big clue is in the word inhibitor, it merely inhibits corrosion but does not stop it. Dissimilar metal corrosion is the main problem and whilst having a magnetic filter fitted to the system certainly helps with this problem in protecting the boiler it does not stop a lot of the gunge from resting and building up in the radiators and other parts of the system.

The only proper solution to this problem is to have the system cleaned and flushed and after looking in horror at the cost of having it done professionally?? and realizing that it should be done at more regular intervals I went for the diy option. Spent a few hundred quid on the equipment but view that against the prices given on the net for a central heating clean/flush. It then begins to look cheap plus I now have the kit to repeat the job in the future which I intend to do at around 5/yr intervals as per a car's cooling system when filled with oat. Crazy when you think about it, most people pay more respect to the servicing of a cars cooling system than they do to their household heating system.

Edit: Blimming heck Richard, you posted while I was typing this. Hope you are keeping ok

Last edited by WillyHeckaslike; 1st October 2021 at 12:21.. Reason: Double edit corrected.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2021, 14:58   #162003
Shonkie
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Default I'm Back.

Hello everyone.

I have returned after spending most of the last year making a classic Ford Cortina Estate base model road worthy after sitting idle since 1977. The car not me lol.

The 75 has been an absolute work horse since and it needs quite a bit of TLC. The dreaded Mot is due and I am concerned about failure as one of my rear wheels keeps squealing and I found one of my front alloys is dented... yes dented. The handbrake is pointing skyward once again and the rubber engine mounts are failing including the hydro mount leaking

Other than that I'm Tickety Boo
Shonkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2021, 15:00   #162004
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Fixing the rover should be a doddle after restoring an old ford 👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 1st October 2021, 15:23   #162005
Shonkie
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Working on the 75 scares me. Stupid I know.
Shonkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2021, 20:24   #162006
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonkie View Post
Working on the 75 scares me. Stupid I know.

Nothing to worry about, it’s just like an old Ford with a load of extra wires 👍
Old 2nd October 2021, 06:39   #162007
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Morning everyone

Chucking it down with more to come.

Was supposed to be going out to investigate the lanes around here in the roller skate. Might clean the oven instead.

233,320. New rear tyres on order for BBB.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2021, 07:51   #162008
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Morning all.

Had a beautiful day yesterday. Glorious sunshine and a good chat with Rich.

Good to hear you yesterday mate and glad things are still improving. Looks like we might be up later in October, so I'll be booking that cuppa sooner rather than later and Quizzie's looking forward to her fuss.

Day 2 of helping our younger son move house. Looks like numerous trips to the tip - if they'll let me - as the previous occupier has left a "bit" of rubbish. I'm thinking 3 maybe 4 tourer loads .

Wish us luck

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

Last edited by AndyN01; 2nd October 2021 at 07:54..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2021, 09:57   #162009
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Morning all Wet Wet Wet here again & more rain forecast, Had to get the wet vac machine out yesterday to dry out of the garage, The heavy rain has been relentless here over the last few days.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2021, 11:53   #162010
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post
Yes, Phil, heating on here as required for the last week or so. I run it on the lowest boiler setting throughout the summer too for an hour a month or so and sometimes longer and more often depending on need. I think that it is a false economy to let the house go too cold at any time, wallpaper can start to loosen and it creates an environment for nature to try to gain the upper hand with things like mold.

Our system failed a couple of years ago and I was not confident in the ability of the pros??? we paid to look at the problem. I eventually bit the bullet and ended up sorting it myself albeit with more than a little help from google and youtube. Like most people do, as I suspect, we regarded the central heating system as fit and forget but not anymore as a result of that experience. Ours simply gunged up, they all rust internally regardless of any inhibitor within them. A big clue is in the word inhibitor, it merely inhibits corrosion but does not stop it. Dissimilar metal corrosion is the main problem and whilst having a magnetic filter fitted to the system certainly helps with this problem in protecting the boiler it does not stop a lot of the gunge from resting and building up in the radiators and other parts of the system.

The only proper solution to this problem is to have the system cleaned and flushed and after looking in horror at the cost of having it done professionally?? and realizing that it should be done at more regular intervals I went for the diy option. Spent a few hundred quid on the equipment but view that against the prices given on the net for a central heating clean/flush. It then begins to look cheap plus I now have the kit to repeat the job in the future which I intend to do at around 5/yr intervals as per a car's cooling system when filled with oat. Crazy when you think about it, most people pay more respect to the servicing of a cars cooling system than they do to their household heating system.

Edit: Blimming heck Richard, you posted while I was typing this. Hope you are keeping ok
Hi Steve, its good to hear you have been putting on the heating when needed and thank you very much for explaining about getting the system cleaned and flushed. You must saved yourself a small fortune doing the work yourself ......

The engineer visited from Gas Plus and said it is a faulty blender valve. After he left, his firm emailed us with a written quote for a replacement valve at £300 inclusive of call out and installation costs. We rang them back and said to go ahead, order the part and set a date for the installation next week. Until then, no heating and no hot water, so we are wearing our winter woolies. Its not too bad as we are on the top floor, 4 floors up and the flat has good insulation.

How are you keeping?
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote