Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th July 2016, 09:35   #1
andre372
Gets stuck in

2001 Rover 75 Tourer 2.0 CDT manual Royal Blue (JFM)

Default Sandstone fabric/fleece

Hello all

Has anyone ever found a fabric or fleece material that is a perfect match to the Sandstone beige in our 75s?
I want to have my headlining, pillar trims and door cards refurbished but keep it as close to original colour wise as possible.
I went to a local upholsterer today and left him one of my spare sunvisors and I'm keeping the other one in the car.
He said that he's done it with different fabrics and leather but the best would be fleece (with a windstopper layer in between). I would prefer it not be that furry but if this is what sticks best...

Cheers
Andre

P.S. He has a 1937 Jaguar SS 100 in at the moment. It was brought to him from the UK and will later be taken back
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-07-15 10.37.56.jpg (134.7 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-07-15 10.38.08.jpg (133.8 KB, 90 views)
MODS: Front fog lamps, FBH timer switch, FBH OBD, boot and arm rest power sockets, cruise control, Powerflex lower arm bushes, illuminated vanity mirrors, high-line IPK, Symphony stereo + SLE, 160 remap, Revotec fan, 12N+12S, auto-dimming rear view mirror, rain sensor, volumetric alarm sensor, PDC, powerfolds, sports leather memory seats, passenger anti-trap sensor
TO DO: Tilt sensor, low coolant sensor, FBH GSM remote control, heated washer jets, front parking sensors
andre372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2016, 10:53   #2
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Can't help with your query , but thanks for the photos That is beautiful !
Old 15th July 2016, 14:17   #3
solarsailor
Posted a thing or two

75 Saloon 1.8T Club SE

I can't help with your enquiry either, but if someone from the UK has entrusted their vintage Jag to him then I'd say it's a fair bet he knows what he's talking about.
solarsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2016, 01:17   #4
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Thread moved to a more appropriate forum. Re-direct left in old.

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2016, 08:04   #5
Tourist
Loves to post

2004 Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Hi Andre,

I've replaced a lot of Rover headlinings, mainly from Maestros and Montegos, admittedly not Rover 75 (yet). I've always been able to find a match both in terms of colour and material at Woolies Auto Trim.

I think they are ok with posting worldwide and have provided samples for me by post in the past.

Good luck :-)
Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2016, 22:12   #6
andre372
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourist View Post
Hi Andre,

I've replaced a lot of Rover headlinings, mainly from Maestros and Montegos, admittedly not Rover 75 (yet). I've always been able to find a match both in terms of colour and material at Woolies Auto Trim.

I think they are ok with posting worldwide and have provided samples for me by post in the past.

Good luck :-)
Thanks, Simon. I'll e-mail them to see if they can help.

When you've replaced headlinings, which materials have you used? Foam backed?
MODS: Front fog lamps, FBH timer switch, FBH OBD, boot and arm rest power sockets, cruise control, Powerflex lower arm bushes, illuminated vanity mirrors, high-line IPK, Symphony stereo + SLE, 160 remap, Revotec fan, 12N+12S, auto-dimming rear view mirror, rain sensor, volumetric alarm sensor, PDC, powerfolds, sports leather memory seats, passenger anti-trap sensor
TO DO: Tilt sensor, low coolant sensor, FBH GSM remote control, heated washer jets, front parking sensors
Old 19th July 2016, 22:31   #7
Tourist
Loves to post

2004 Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

You're very welcome - yes I've only used products from their brushed nylon headlining range:

http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/c-93-brushed-nylon.aspx

They all have a foam backing of about 3mm. The last one I did was for my Maestro Vanden Plas which has a very (?) tasteful light coffee-coloured leather interior so the expensive cashmere one was the only option. It's great quality and looks superb even if I do say so myself!

I don't know if the headlining material would be any good for the door cards but they're very knowledgeable so would probably be able to advise.

You might be better off simply buying a good condition set of replacement door cards and replacing the headlining separately.

I noticed that in your original post you were choosing based on what sticks best - again ask Wollies about adhesives because there are a few options. The best one I've used comes in a paint-type can and is a gloopy stringy substance but it's good for the high temperatures you get in cars in summer. This one:

http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/p-1263...-adhesive.aspx

I've just checked and they can't send adhesives internationally but that gives you an idea of what you're looking for...

Good luck with it :-)

Last edited by Tourist; 19th July 2016 at 22:44..
Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2016, 07:12   #8
Valkman
Avid contributor

ROVER SE 75 CDTI

Another option is to go to the scrap yard. I bought a donor car and at the moment I am replacing the rear door card cloths with mine. They have damp marks but like the front ones I did they should come up perfect. I am only using the cloth as there is marks on the other plastic parts so a bit of plastic welding is required for mine. The cloth on the older car is also a better match than my newer mark II.
Valkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2016, 13:59   #9
andre372
Gets stuck in

Right, the samples were posted by Woolies on the 21st and arrived today, very quick.

Unfortunately, none of these match the Sandstone in our cars

I bumped into the man doing the upholstering today at a gas station buying coffee and showed him the samples, too. He hasn't found anything so far but promised to keep eyes open.
He also said the material should stretch a bit more than these samples do, to successfully (i.e for it to last years) mould it into the sun visor recesses etc.

I think even if I found a good set of door cards (would have to be ordered from abroad, all local ones have been with open doors for at least 5 years) these wouldn't last long either.

Do you have any more suggestions where to look?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-07-25 14.36.00.jpg (138.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-07-25 14.36.10.jpg (139.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-07-25 14.36.49.jpg (137.0 KB, 17 views)
Old 26th July 2016, 09:41   #10
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre372 View Post
Hello all

Has anyone ever found a fabric or fleece material that is a perfect match to the Sandstone beige in our 75s?
I want to have my headlining, pillar trims and door cards refurbished but keep it as close to original colour wise as possible.
I went to a local upholsterer today and left him one of my spare sunvisors and I'm keeping the other one in the car.
He said that he's done it with different fabrics and leather but the best would be fleece (with a windstopper layer in between). I would prefer it not be that furry but if this is what sticks best...

Cheers
Andre

P.S. He has a 1937 Jaguar SS 100 in at the moment. It was brought to him from the UK and will later be taken back
Beautiful car, but I don`t think the tow ropes are strong enough
Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote