Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12th October 2021, 12:23   #1
al_dente
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Fixing damaged wiring caused by EGR leak

Hi folks,

I posted on another thread about some issues that have been caused by an EGR bypass that I recently installed (https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...&postcount=427).

Photo...

I have fixed the broken EGR pipe by removing it and fitting a blanking plate on the back of the engine where the EGR pipe was connected.

However, I am now left with a car that only runs in limp mode - the throttle doesn't seem to do anything and it stays at about 1200 rpm. The dashboard shows a 'check engine' light.

The split EGR blew hot exhaust gases onto the side of the engine and as you can see from the photo has melted some of the inlet manifold and wiring to the fuel rail pressure sensor. The manifold damage is cosmetic, but I will swap it for a replacement. To fix the wiring, it's been suggested to me that I replace the engine wiring harness. They're not too expensive on ebay. Has anyone done this before? I was wondering how easy it is.

Another option is to just replace the melted wiring. I assume that when I remove the inlet manifold, there would be a reasonable amount of room to get at the wiring and splice in (with solder) a replacement section of wiring and connector. This means less disturbance to the rest of the wiring harness.

I'd be interested to know what people think about this - is one option preferable over the other do you think?

Cheers,

Al
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210907_085601.jpg (133.1 KB, 108 views)
al_dente is offline   Reply With Quote