Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th November 2019, 18:03   #1
Mettymatty

Rover

Default Flywheel Questions

Hi,

I've noticed on some modded 1.8 turbos people talk about using a Freelander flywheel when swapping to a PG1 box.
Is this flywheel actually any different to any other non DMF 1.8 k derived parts or is it just that is uses the larger 228mm clutch? All the 1.8 flywheels including VVC and Freelander flywheels I have seen are stamped PSD10107 so presumably they're all the same part?

Can anyone confirm the crank trigger pattern on the 75/ZT is the same pattern used (in terms of spacing and angle) as other post circa '96 Ks? I realise that the pattern is on the edge rather than the face of the flywheel and that a hall senser is used, its just the trigger pattern I'm inteterested in please?

Thanks
Mettymatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2019, 08:57   #2
Mettymatty

Rover

Right, I've just confirmed with a salvage yard that a 1.8 manual freelander flywheel is stamped psd10107. - The same as all other 1.8 k series of that era.

I'm beginning to think that this whole 'Freelander flywheel upgrade' is a bit of an internet myth or mis-communication.

As far as I can tell from cross referencing part numbers ANY 1.8 k series using a PG1 box would be able to use the larger 228mm clutch not just a freelander.

Is there anyone with hands on experience that can tell me if I'm wrong please and why? TBH it's been a few years since I dabbled with the K series but I'm looking to swap out my old VVC lump for a modded 1.8t and this information would really help.

Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 10:27   #3
Mettymatty

Rover

Further research suggests it could be down to the drillings and dowelling for fitment of the clutch but I'm still struggling to notice a difference from pictures.

There appear to be 6 bolts fitted at approx 60 degrees apart with 3 dowels fitted; one centred between every other bolt by the looks of it.

Does anyone have a 1.8 flywheel they can physically check as its not easy going off pictures?

Also if anyone has a dual mass flywheel could they check the trigger pattern on the edge?

Thanks.

Last edited by Mettymatty; 6th November 2019 at 12:52.. Reason: Added a question.
Old 7th November 2019, 09:34   #4
Mettymatty

Rover

I've also found another part number (PSD 102450) but info for it is scarce.

It appears to be an older part number and there is a suggestion that this may be for an earlier flywheel that was smaller.

I'm surprised that nobody on this forum is able/willing to comment as I've seen posts on here as well as other mg rover forums of people discussing/using this modification.

The only conclusion I can draw from my research and without physical parts to compare is that all 1.8 flywheels of circa '96> are stamped PSD 10107 and are probably the same overal size but they may be drilled and dowelled differently to accept different size clutches.

If anyone has any form of 1.8 flywheel (solid or DMF) some pics and dimensions would help to determine any differences.

Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 13:53   #5
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

You need any post MEMS 1.9 flywheel, my personal choice is the Freelander version as to maximise the clutch plate and cover diameter.

The pattern of the reluctor is different completely on the 1800 variant of R40, and the NNN000500 ECM isn't suitable to be used with the flywheel you intend using with the PG1 gearbox.

As a result, you will need a MEMS 3 from a CVT 25/45 I cannot be sure of the part number NNN100743 seems to ring a bell, and this can be reprogrammed to be suitable with the turbo engine.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2019, 17:44   #6
Mettymatty

Rover

Thank you for your reply Brian.

When you say the pattern of the reluctor is different, are you refering to the physical pattern machined/cast in to the wheel or do you mean the ecm signal?

According to the description and operations manual pdf on this site. The trigger pattern is the same as most of K's albeit on the edge rather than the face of the wheel?

I realise that the reluctor signal on R40 is Hall derived and gives a digital type 0-5v pulse signal rather than a fluctuating wave form that the earlier 2 wire sensors produce. This can easily be adapted with a small circuit to suit the NNN000500 ecm so that the earlier crank sensor can be used and the waveform adapted to suit the 75/ZT ecm.

Are there any other differences to be aware of if not the above?

I appreciate your assistance with this.

Many thanks