Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd December 2009, 13:47   #1
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts
Thumbs up KV6 Induction Kit - My DIY Alternative

Having been researching for a Induction Kit for my 160 V6 for a while and could not justify or afford a K & N kit I decided to source myself an alternative with very pleasing results.

(all prices approxamiate ebay minus delivery for basic comparrision)

A basic K & N normal replacement element filter kit costs 35 pounds for the KV6!

A K & N Gen 2 kit costs 179 pounds for the KV6!

A K & N Apollo / Typhoon kit costs 149 pounds!

My alternative kit, with perfect fitting for all parts having done a bit of time on research cost me 52 pounds all in! Presenting the end result from my very dirty engine bay.

I have been EXTREMELY happy with the result, and have now done 900 miles since fitting and felt that i could give a fair review of it.

The car sounds very impressive now, from idol the car is no louder than normal and is far from that cheap booming sound. On light acceleration, again the car is slightly louder, but those not used to their cars would no hear the difference. There has been no preformance loss in the slightest and ive had no issues with the open cone in the engine bay.

However, upon anything more than half throttle and after 3500rpm the car sounds transformed. A good solid strong noise, that remains very constant until the limiter.

Preformance is significently noticable. Throttle responce has improved, especially in high gears at lower sub 3000rpm where I felt the car lacked compared to the 190 I had driven before and the car is much happier to rev.

Overall, anyone with a KV6 160 you MUST get yourself one or something similar, the difference is shocking and really emphesises how restrictive the standard 160 air box is.

This simple kit has really encouraged me to compensate for the 160's restricted exhaust and that is next on the cars mid february.

The bumper will be coming off soon, so I will be uprating the shannon pipe, fitting mesh for additional air ducting and im currently making a heat sheild also from an old battery tray.

-----------------

The list of parts for those wishing to do the same are as follows for this perticular kit, I have also included photos for a referance of before fitting also.

1 - 19mm - 45 degree elbow Silicon Hose pipe Black - From Ebay shop http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Redline-Auto-Extreme

1 - Breather Filter 25mm (Oil/Crankcase/Air) Medium - From Ebay shop http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/800bhp/

1 - 76mm to 70mm Silicon Hose elbow reducer Black - From Ebay shop http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Redline-Auto-Extreme

1 - K&N Style Induction Kit - From Ebay shop http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/ZORIN-...__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 14:04   #2
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

That looks soooooo tempting, and it's xmas

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 14:57   #3
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

Dont let the photos fool you, the cone is flipping large and a dam wide diameter also. If anyone is considering it, be careful, there are a lot of alternative kits on ebay, but silicon hose with varying wall widths and such can make it more awakward finding adaptors and such.

My large 70-76 mm hose has a 5mm wall each side, and fits perfectly without usage of the adaptors.
Old 23rd December 2009, 16:52   #4
Cymrudragon
I really should get out more.......

MGZTT2.5 V6 190+ SE 2002

You can get stainless hoses with the breather nose. with a rubber bush flange Looks nice and the ss sets it off , with the other ss parts.
An example of many from www.spairsworld.com.uk
Cymrudragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 18:00   #5
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Excellent bit of parts research , and really looks the business !
Anyone see any reason why this wouldn't perform well on the 2 litre 150 bhp version , which wouldn't require quite the same volume of air ?
Old 23rd December 2009, 18:11   #6
simon1981
Regular poster

MG ZT+ 180 and rover 620ti

dam it i just got the K & N Gen 2 kit costs 169 pounds for the KV6 +£10 posting from larkspeed
simon1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 20:17   #7
nopainnogain
Avid contributor

rover 75 2.0 v6-low 9 second pro street 100e

are you not expecting any problems with the cone filter letting water into the engine,when i have driven at motorrway sppeds in heavy rain and i open the bonnet,my stock air box and the front of the battery tray are soaked,this is exactly where your filter is.
nopainnogain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 22:28   #8
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

Quote:
are you not expecting any problems with the cone filter letting water into the engine,when i have driven at motorrway sppeds in heavy rain and i open the bonnet,my stock air box and the front of the battery tray are soaked,this is exactly where your filter is.
This is Northern Ireland mate. Rain is a way of life.

Genuinely havnt had any problems and had been checking every day. We had some truely awaful rain, sleet and snow the last few weeks when ive had her.

On the plus side, I dont have to worry about water in the shannon tube now.

Quote:
Anyone see any reason why this wouldn't perform well on the 2 litre 150 bhp version , which wouldn't require quite the same volume of air ?
The 150 kv6 / the 160 kv6 share the same sized air element and air box as the 190 kv6. The only standard difference is the size of the air intake from 70mm to 80mm and the restrictive throttle trumptet inside the box itself, unlike on the 190 kv6.

The cone ive shown above is slightly larger surface area of cone than a standard K and N.
Old 23rd December 2009, 22:51   #9
black olive
I really should get out more.......

260 SE vin 214 ( last mark 1 260 )

looks good. I went down a similar route with my zs180, but pointed the filter downwards, put it in a length of polypropylene central heating duct with end caps, and added a 4 inch cold air feed from under the wing. the difference was amazing
Old 6th March 2010, 16:06   #10
Mike V
Avid contributor

MG ZT 190

looks like a good mod but have you had any issues with heat sink? I think some kind of heat shield would help.
Mike V is offline   Reply With Quote