Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th March 2021, 18:28   #21
rontug
Loves to post

rover 75 Club SE cdt 2001

Worked for me, But sure you can get better nowdays Its been ten years since I done mine, I've had no problems. I would recommend two layers of plasterboard but, Honestly it works. read all the information on acoustics and frequencies till I got a headache, Got that fed up with the noise, got it all done in a couple of days, No problems since
rontug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2021, 18:40   #22
rontug
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Thank you, very interesting and useful. It looks straightforward as well.

Thanks very much for the information. That's really helpful.
I may have a go myself as it sounds quite straightforward.
Does no more nails really work? I remember years ago using it to fit skirting board and it all fell off!

You've given me some confidence that all is not lost so thank you.
Worked for me, Been ten years since I done mine no problems. Still have the same neighbours. you do need to remove skirting board to get right down to the floor boards and any coving to get up to cieling . Go for it. I would put two lots of plaster board up, all together it should only be a maybe and inch and a half thick at the most. Its all about breaking up vibrations
Old 6th March 2021, 12:25   #23
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontug View Post
Worked for me, Been ten years since I done mine no problems. Still have the same neighbours. you do need to remove skirting board to get right down to the floor boards and any coving to get up to cieling . Go for it. I would put two lots of plaster board up, all together it should only be a maybe and inch and a half thick at the most. Its all about breaking up vibrations
Thank you.
That will definitely work on one side. (The noisy side) but not on the other as the door is right against the wall.

We need to do something because it's driving us both mad to the point where we're talking about moving which isn't really practical at the moment.
Old 6th March 2021, 13:13   #24
rontug
Loves to post

Quote:
Thank you.
That will definitely work on one side. (The noisy side) but not on the other as the door is right against the wall.

We need to do something because it's driving us both mad to the point where we're talking about moving which isn't really practical at the moment.

Just try it, I didn't plaster,' just used heavy duty lineing paper, then decorate as normal. make sure you fill all gaps. we went thru the same process couldn't move didn't want any arguments with next door, and like I said they have no idea that we have sound proofed the wall. you;ll be amazed
Old 6th March 2021, 19:02   #25
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default Yes, I've done it.

Quote:
Hello,
I moved house a few years ago to a 1970s built terrace in a little village. It's a lovely house, with plenty of space. It was perfect.

However, I can hear every single sound from next door.
It's really getting us both down. It feels like a home invasion.

With home working, it's incredibly hard to concentrate.
Further to that, I'm worried that they can hear us.

I want to get the wall insulated and was wondering if anybody else had done similar and if so, how did you do it?

I've seen some kits, but they will take up six inches of the room. That won't work because of where the doors are.

Prior to lockdown, it didn't bother me too much. I was leaving home at 5.00am and getting home at 8.00pm.
My partner had mentioned it, (as she works from home anyway) but I didn't realise the extent of it until I started working from home too.

Any advice or suggestions?
I did it in every alcove of my house and the backs of the unused fireplaces, I first got some DPC and tile battens, the DPC goes behind the battens to stop any moisture getting into the wood at anytime. The tile battens are 25mm and the 25mm foil backed insulation board (Kingspan) fits between them and falls level with the battens, you then use the Blue acoustic wall boards to cover the insulation prior to skimming over with plaster. The difference is incredible and I can hardly hear the loudest noises from next door, they have three dogs and five cats, two teenagers and I hear almost nothing. The process also enables me to turn up my music or TV as they can't hear my loud sounds.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2021, 19:18   #26
theoldcodger
the Old Codger

Rover 75 Saloon

Smile Party walls

I am a building clerk of works so I can give a definitive observation.
Since the mid 50's all party walls were built with a cavity. The problem with sound passing through was because the floor joists supporting the first floor penetrated right through the brickwork leaf of the cavity wall & as these joists were not sealed with mortar properly the sound from the other property sailed through unhindered. Since then construction has learned to build properly & insulated cavities were introduced in the late 70's together with joist hangers which meant the brickwork was not penetrated. Insulating the cavity is the only solution, which will reduce the sound but not completely.
theoldcodger is offline   Reply With Quote