Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st March 2016, 10:34   #1
ozrover
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Bore Wash

I have a bad case of cylinder/bore wash with fuel in the engine oil and cylinders, and on the plugs.

Apart from an oil change, dropping cap full of oil in each cylinder, is there anything else I'm missing in rectifying the bore wash with the KV6?

Does pressing the accelerator to the floor cut fuel to the engine in the 75?
ozrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2016, 18:10   #2
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

Can you isolate which cylinder? It may be a stuck open injector, or if it affects all, the coolant temp sensor.
minimutly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2016, 06:40   #3
ozrover
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Just to confirm, P0131 (O2 Sensor Bank 1 and sensor 1), is the first oxygen sensor (from the front of the car), right across the radiator?

Replaced it with a new one but still getting P0131.

Instead of an error being too rich, its now reporting (P0171) too lean on bank 1.

Guessing next port of call is Map sensor?
Old 22nd March 2016, 06:52   #4
Chuckles
Gets stuck in

NOW a Club Tourer was 1999 - 75 2.0Ltr Connoisseur SE petrol Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrover View Post

Instead of an error being too rich, its now reporting (P0171) too lean on bank 1.
I found this to be the MAF sensor.
Membership #1896
Don't take life so seriously.... it is not permanent!
Chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2016, 09:33   #5
ozrover
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

The cause were the new NGK Iridium IX spark plugs (BKR6EIX-11 3764). They had 1.1mm gap, however that seemed way too large.

I changed to Bosch spark plugs with 0.7mm and that resolved most of the issues relating to the bore wash. I guess it's weak coil pack since 1.0mm is the official gap?

Only getting the lean fuel error now. Tried cleaning the MAP sensor with contact spray, will try a new one now.
Old 24th March 2016, 12:50   #6
TomRS
Posted a thing or two

Mk1 ZT 190 - Mk2 ZS 180 - Mercedes E63 AMG S - Ford Ranger Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrover View Post
The cause were the new NGK Iridium IX spark plugs (BKR6EIX-11 3764). They had 1.1mm gap, however that seemed way too large.

I changed to Bosch spark plugs with 0.7mm and that resolved most of the issues relating to the bore wash. I guess it's weak coil pack since 1.0mm is the official gap?

Only getting the lean fuel error now. Tried cleaning the MAP sensor with contact spray, will try a new one now.
Bore wash is where excess fuel wears away the cylinder liners and or damaging the piston rings.
What your describing i dont think is actually bore wash rather just over/under fueling due to a failing coil pack/map/maf sensor.

I'd be very careful driving it round with a lean fuel error thats a ticket to disaster, running lean causes excess heat which can lead to headgasket, pinking/detonation etc.. which is not good for an engine.
If its overfueling then equally you'll end up washing the bores and ring meaning the piston will be "slack" in the bore and you'll end up using more oil and loosing compression/power it'll also lead to heavily contaminated oil as the fuel leaks past the rings and into the oil.
TomRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2016, 15:53   #7
ozrover
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRS View Post
Bore wash is where excess fuel wears away the cylinder liners and or damaging the piston rings.
What your describing i dont think is actually bore wash rather just over/under fueling due to a failing coil pack/map/maf sensor.

I'd be very careful driving it round with a lean fuel error thats a ticket to disaster, running lean causes excess heat which can lead to headgasket, pinking/detonation etc.. which is not good for an engine.
If its overfueling then equally you'll end up washing the bores and ring meaning the piston will be "slack" in the bore and you'll end up using more oil and loosing compression/power it'll also lead to heavily contaminated oil as the fuel leaks past the rings and into the oil.
Cheers for the response Tom. I'm getting P0300 along with the lean fuel error now.

Can I eliminate coil pack because its not citing specific cylinders in the misfire and just throwing out P0300? (that's what I've read)

Ironically, the fuel gauge has now gone from the correct level and stuck in middle position. Should I consider replacing the fuel pressure regulator?
Old 24th March 2016, 21:46   #8
rrobson
I really should get out more.......

75 tourer cdti, MG ZS 180, nissan terrano & 1.8t rover 25

If you've got bad bore wash, then you need to isolate the reason why.
Also, once the problem is sorted, ideally you'll want a new liner (or a re hone at least) and potentially new rings. Not a small task but if you've got fuel entering the oil then you'll have a job sorting the cylinder without a strip down.

VIS motor tester avalible to local members

Injector removal tool and auto gearbox pressure tester now available
rrobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2016, 18:30   #9
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Isaac,

You say that you have fuel in the engine oil and on the plugs. You need to find out why the engine is over-fuelling. The sparking plugs cannot be the problem.

You report that your fuel gauge is malfunctioning. This may be a coincidence or related.

Have you checked that your ECM is not immersed in water in the plenum? If that's OK then consider the IAT/MAP sensor as Chuckles has said. The data from this determines the fuel injector opening period.

But your earlier thread raises different, apparently unresolved problems. What is the history of your car Issac? How long have you had it? Low compression, oily plugs, fuel in the sump are the sort of symptoms which would be associated with an engine which has been badly abused.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 25th March 2016 at 18:37..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2016, 19:12   #10
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

If its the map sensor it would affect all cylinders, it will smoke, stink, and make your eyes water.
minimutly is offline   Reply With Quote