Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th September 2019, 07:20   #11
Mogodon
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 135+ Diesel Auto Mk2. Nisan Micra 1.4 SVE Auto.

I'll just put my two penneth and experience here on this subject then.

Found that both rear arms were holed and rotten on the ZT, and (at the time) was unaware of all this about the Indian arms, so ordered a pair of "genuine" replacements.

They arrived all bagged up, MGR stickered and hologramed, and did raise an eyebrow when I saw the "Made in India" on them.

Anyway, along with the fitting kits I bought, I passed them to my trusted local garage, who does all the work on my MG and (in my case, happy to fit supplied parts as long as they are genuine) and if they have any problems or concerns, are straight on the phone to me.

Dropped the Zed and parts off in the morning, and got a call mid afternoon to say all done and ready for collection with all the old parts in the boot if i wanted them.

They never raised a concern about poor fitment or quality, so I guess i must have been lucky with mine.
Plenum spyhole mod. Powerflow backbox. 11 spoke alloys repainted Black Sparkle. Black Expansion tank. Drivers side cup holder. PPD carpeted heater box sides. Illuminated sun visors, PPD Door reflectors. PPD Seatbelt lower mount bolt covers. PPD Drivers grab handle. Cubby rechargeable torch and power socket. FBH retro-fitted. FBH engine pre-heater mod done. Electric rear Sunblind. Tow bar. Flip key. MGR towing mirrors and Saloon roof bars.

Hand Built in Birmingham
Mogodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2019, 08:11   #12
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogodon View Post
I'll just put my two penneth and experience here on this subject then.

Found that both rear arms were holed and rotten on the ZT, and (at the time) was unaware of all this about the Indian arms, so ordered a pair of "genuine" replacements.

They arrived all bagged up, MGR stickered and hologramed, and did raise an eyebrow when I saw the "Made in India" on them.

Anyway, along with the fitting kits I bought, I passed them to my trusted local garage, who does all the work on my MG and (in my case, happy to fit supplied parts as long as they are genuine) and if they have any problems or concerns, are straight on the phone to me.

Dropped the Zed and parts off in the morning, and got a call mid afternoon to say all done and ready for collection with all the old parts in the boot if i wanted them.

They never raised a concern about poor fitment or quality, so I guess i must have been lucky with mine.
You were not "lucky" garages will "fit" what you supply them if they are being paid to do so.

In standard form, a safety critical component where welds are incomplete, that require modification to fit correctly are not good at all

It should be mentioned, I am not a mechanic, I am an engineer, and view components differently to the way a garage employing parts fitters view them.

A local member took a set of these to a trusted and respected motor engineer to be fitted, and he refused to do so.

That in itself speaks volumes to me

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2019, 08:47   #13
Best_of_British
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer & Arden Green Project

Have we got a timeframe for the new parts? I begrudge spending £120 on tat Indian arms, but these will hopefully be cheap as chips when the correct specifications ones come out. £60 per side is what they are worth and will put my tourer back on road.

Sent from my MI 5C using Tapatalk
Best_of_British is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2019, 10:12   #14
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

I think, sadly, many parts are suffering.

Like the replacement cam sensor that I fitted.

Just looking at it, it does not have to quality of the original.

I think they should stick to making cotton goods.

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2019, 14:08   #15
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
Problems like this are common in the classic car world. The problem is we are our own worse enemies. When you ring up for a part we ask the supplier is that the best price they can do? Of course this gets back to the manufacturer eventually so they are made cheaper and cheaper.

What we should be asking for on any parts we buy for our cars classic or modern is what part comes with the longest guarantee? I will now only fit Delco Remy alternators, 36 month warranty for example. I am fed up with replacing alternators that have just lasted 13 months. Yes they might only be half the price of the Delco Remy unit but I like things to last.

If you are lucky enough to be able to afford a new car it comes with a 3 year warranty, in that time there will probably be a few niggles that need sorting but you wont be replacing an exhaust or battery for example. Anyone who has fitted an exhaust or battery on there car recently is probably going to have to replace it again in the next 3 years.
It's very true, everyone wants cheap, but we end up with rubbish.

If and when my car needs anything, I really would like it to be fitted in the knowledge that it should never need doing again.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2019, 14:48   #16
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

MG ROVER

Made in Britain 👍👍
Old 5th September 2019, 15:05   #17
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
MG ROVER

Made in Britain 👍👍
To be fair it never was really, lots of bits are sourced from all over the world.

At least back then we had some sort of quality control.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2019, 16:38   #18
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
I recently bought a "genuine" MG- X Part Hydromount.. Turns up with made in China stamped on it.
I hope you sent it back and got a refund Ian? If every time we got a load of c**p from a supplier or an OEM one so said, but wasn’t, and we sent it back and told them that a complaint was going to Trading Standards forthwith, it might wake them up a bit. People are getting to complacent with receiving ‘bent’ and not fit for purpose items.
Old 5th September 2019, 17:03   #19
neilbaker86
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
I hope you sent it back and got a refund Ian? If every time we got a load of c**p from a supplier or an OEM one so said, but wasn’t, and we sent it back and told them that a complaint was going to Trading Standards forthwith, it might wake them up a bit. People are getting to complacent with receiving ‘bent’ and not fit for purpose items.

Hear hear.

If everyone backs all this rubbish back on to their suppliers, maybe they will get the message.
neilbaker86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2019, 17:23   #20
ZedTeeT
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Or they might just stop making the parts altogether because it's just not worth it...........
85/C Capri 2.8i Special. Mine 29+ years.
82/X Talbot Tagora SX V6. Restoration project.
11/11 Hyundai I Load CRDi. Van....... nuff said.
ZedTeeT is offline   Reply With Quote