Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th December 2020, 22:07   #11
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Exactly Brian, they expected people to change cars every 3 to 5 years.
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2020, 22:28   #12
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn CDT Tourer, 75 Conn SE V6, 75 Conn V6, 75 Conn CDTi Tourer, ZS 180

Unipart Samson (there was no 'p' in the brand name, Brian ) came in either red or blue cases to denote the length of warranty
Old 29th December 2020, 07:08   #13
ardvark
Al

75 CDTI Tourer Auto

The reason my name is spelt with one A is that when I first got my name many moons ago I didn't realise it was spelt with 2 A's. When my better half pointed it out to me it was to late to change things. So I decided to keep the spelling mistake as a conversation point. But basically I couldn't spell being a single brain celled Ardvark 😜
Old 29th December 2020, 15:04   #14
Mogodon
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 135+ Diesel Auto Mk2. Nisan Micra 1.4 SVE Auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
My guess if you need a replacement in the warranty period they will do there best to wiggle out. I purchased something similar about 10 years ago for my classic car, it came with a 4 year warranty and after 40 months it was starting to struggle. The company said I would need to return it at my expense for it to be tested and if found to be faulty I would be refunded the postage and a replacement would be provided, the cost of shipping a battery with acid in it was nearly a third of what I had paid originally so I didnt bother.

I would like to know why the original battery that comes with a new car usually last 6 or 7 years but even the best quality replacement rarely does.
Same here, had a Bosch fail 28 months into its 36 month warranty.

Company said I would have to courier it back to them at my expense for testing and if found to be faulty would be refunded a proportion of the purchase price as only replaced in the first 12 months of warranty.

I also didn't bother.
Plenum spyhole mod. Powerflow backbox. 11 spoke alloys repainted Black Sparkle. Black Expansion tank. Drivers side cup holder. PPD carpeted heater box sides. Illuminated sun visors, PPD Door reflectors. PPD Seatbelt lower mount bolt covers. PPD Drivers grab handle. Cubby rechargeable torch and power socket. FBH retro-fitted. FBH engine pre-heater mod done. Electric rear Sunblind. Tow bar. Flip key. MGR towing mirrors and Saloon roof bars.

Hand Built in Birmingham
Mogodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2020, 15:57   #15
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

How strange, I'd never heard of these batteries either, but the car I just bought has one fitted. It's going to be scrapped along with the car because my 3mth old Yuasa is going on.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2020, 17:09   #16
c-j2
Regular poster

MG ZT-T Diesel

Having had 16 years out of the Bosch S5 on my MGF, and 12 years and counting on the original battery of our city car runaround, I have high expectations of batteries.

However I don't have such high expectations of the return process should I ever need it! Therefore when the battery on my modern car (unnecessary stop/stop and smart charging complications requiring an EFB spec) showed signs of failing after less than 6 years, instead of buying remotely from Tayna as I had with other batteries, I opted to buy the best I could locally just in case I ever needed to claim via warranty.

As it happened, for the EFB I went with a Halfords battery and their 5 year guarantee - as best I could ascertain the Halfords branded batteries are actually manufactured by Yuasa.

Since fitting it in June it didn't hold charge long (dropping from 12.3 to 12 ish volts), even after long runs - or hooked up to a charging/conditioning unit. Having spent a few lockdown days confirming that the smart charging was working fine, and that there was no current leak, I popped into Halfords a couple of weeks before xmas to discuss.

Within a few minutes they had agreed to replace and ordered a new one in for me. I swapped them over the other day - resting voltages levels now looking good despite minimal journeies and overnight freezing temperatures.

Glad that I gambled on buying locally for the ease of return - I just hadn't expected to need the facility so quickly!

Whilst I think Tayna are great (and for all I know their return process could be awesome), it is worth considering buying locally if there is anything "extreme" about your battery needs (complex battery, occasional use etc etc).

Last edited by c-j2; 29th December 2020 at 18:26..
c-j2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2020, 17:15   #17
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic ZS View Post
Unipart Samson (there was no 'p' in the brand name, Brian ) came in either red or blue cases to denote the length of warranty
Forgive me, after all it was nearly 33 years since I bought it

And yes the red one was a three year warranty, and the blue ones the lifetime warranty and the price reflected this

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2020, 17:29   #18
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

I've a Bosch S5007 fitted to my car at the moment, I bought it from Costco and they never have issue with warranty.

If there is any reason whatsoever to suspect the battery is failing, then you simply take it back let them know it's faulty and they will refund the original purchase price.

You then go into the shop and buy another, brand new warranty period starts all over again.

I've only had to take one battery back in the past couple of years, one bought for a friends's Mk7 Transit, and it was no problem at all

The S5005 bought eight years ago for my 1800 failed after being loaned to a friend for his V6 when he left the damned thing to go completely flat when the car wasn't being used.

I really should take it to the tip rather than it cluttering up my porch

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2020, 20:23   #19
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
spelled with 3 As he seems to have dropped the first one though
C'mon !!!!----You know exactly what I meant.

COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2020, 09:25   #20
Mogodon
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 135+ Diesel Auto Mk2. Nisan Micra 1.4 SVE Auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
I've a Bosch S5007 fitted to my car at the moment, I bought it from Costco and they never have issue with warranty.

If there is any reason whatsoever to suspect the battery is failing, then you simply take it back let them know it's faulty and they will refund the original purchase price.

You then go into the shop and buy another, brand new warranty period starts all over again.

I've only had to take one battery back in the past couple of years, one bought for a friends's Mk7 Transit, and it was no problem at all

The S5005 bought eight years ago for my 1800 failed after being loaned to a friend for his V6 when he left the damned thing to go completely flat when the car wasn't being used.

I really should take it to the tip rather than it cluttering up my porch

Brian
Take it to the tip !!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOO 😲

Weigh it in at a local scrap merchants (EMR is mine), I weighed in 3 I'd been saving up and got around a fiver each back.
Plenum spyhole mod. Powerflow backbox. 11 spoke alloys repainted Black Sparkle. Black Expansion tank. Drivers side cup holder. PPD carpeted heater box sides. Illuminated sun visors, PPD Door reflectors. PPD Seatbelt lower mount bolt covers. PPD Drivers grab handle. Cubby rechargeable torch and power socket. FBH retro-fitted. FBH engine pre-heater mod done. Electric rear Sunblind. Tow bar. Flip key. MGR towing mirrors and Saloon roof bars.

Hand Built in Birmingham
Mogodon is offline   Reply With Quote