Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th February 2021, 14:59   #1
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts
Default Scam Alert !

I spotted similarities with this, which I saw some time ago:-

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1520550

Don't get caught out.

Last edited by roverbarmy; 5th February 2021 at 02:08.. Reason: ID
roverbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2021, 15:55   #2
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

My dear old Dad ( RIP) gone done out of 3 grand for a Fake Mecedes using this sort of thing.. His was paying a fake Escrow company ( there are loads out there) and a non existing delivery company .

Never told me , only found out after he passed away, was probably too embarassed to say ..

C
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2021, 16:42   #3
picky747
Gets stuck in

ROVER

I came across one this week, advertised on Facebook marketplace so messaged for more details and he replied asking for an email address to send more information, thats when he stated the vehicle was in Sweden and it was too expensive to register the uk vehicle there telling me he was a policeman to give his story more credence. The price was too good to be true for what it was so alarm bells were already ringing!!
picky747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2021, 18:31   #4
ryszard
Gets stuck in

Moonstone diesel,X351 Jaguar and now MG ZT 260

Hi,I had the same scenario when enquiring about a Sunbeam S7 motorbike on the bay listings,same procedure,located in Scotland but if I pay to have it transported and not happy with it would get full refund.The advert still appears regularily on the bay,it usually has two seperate bikes listed one after the other,been going on for months.The photos are always the same.After several e mails I just stopped responding.Rrgards Ry.......
ryszard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2021, 19:04   #5
Mogodon
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 135+ Diesel Auto Mk2. Nisan Micra 1.4 SVE Auto.

I spotted a really nice caravan on ebay that was obviously a scam (they specifically said no contact via eBay !!!!!) and msg'd asking whee to to view ����.

Predictably it was in the Scottish Highlands to which I replied it was no problem, as I have a car delivery company that delivers to Scotland twice a week and will hitch a ride with my delivery driver and will detour to view, and if as described will happily pay cash and take straight away on my now empty low loader.

Again predictably, viewing not possible as he (the seller) was working abroad and the caravan was being held by the delivery company who wouldn't allow viewings.

I sent a last msg thanking him for his time (wasted) but I never buy such an item without being able to view.

Never got another reply ��������������
Plenum spyhole mod. Powerflow backbox. 11 spoke alloys repainted Black Sparkle. Black Expansion tank. Drivers side cup holder. PPD carpeted heater box sides. Illuminated sun visors, PPD Door reflectors. PPD Seatbelt lower mount bolt covers. PPD Drivers grab handle. Cubby rechargeable torch and power socket. FBH retro-fitted. FBH engine pre-heater mod done. Electric rear Sunblind. Tow bar. Flip key. MGR towing mirrors and Saloon roof bars.

Hand Built in Birmingham

Last edited by Mogodon; 4th February 2021 at 19:09..
Mogodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2021, 20:25   #6
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn CDT Tourer, 75 Conn SE V6, 75 Conn V6, 75 Conn CDTi Tourer, ZS 180

This scam was detailed on 'Rip-off Britain' the other morning:

Item is priced far too cheaply (a VW camper in this case) to draw buyers in - alarm bells need to start ringing.

Photos sent to the buyer by email, but no opportunity to view in person due to covid.

Delivery company will deliver the vehicle to your door and a full refund if not completely happy (yeah, yeah....)

Then the scammer sent an 'ebay invoice' which turned out to be a screen shot that was amended....

Lady decided all was safe, paid her money, then no sign of the van and no knowledge of it at the delivery company, money has gone.

My opinion - ALWAYS go to view it yourself, if you can't, don't buy and keep your money in your account. Another will turn up eventually
Old 4th February 2021, 20:38   #7
Mogodon
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 135+ Diesel Auto Mk2. Nisan Micra 1.4 SVE Auto.

I would NEVER even contemplate buying a car / caravan / campervan without being able to view it, touch it and test drive / tow it in person.

Not even from them online showroom companies like Kazoo.
Plenum spyhole mod. Powerflow backbox. 11 spoke alloys repainted Black Sparkle. Black Expansion tank. Drivers side cup holder. PPD carpeted heater box sides. Illuminated sun visors, PPD Door reflectors. PPD Seatbelt lower mount bolt covers. PPD Drivers grab handle. Cubby rechargeable torch and power socket. FBH retro-fitted. FBH engine pre-heater mod done. Electric rear Sunblind. Tow bar. Flip key. MGR towing mirrors and Saloon roof bars.

Hand Built in Birmingham
Mogodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2021, 20:55   #8
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn CDT Tourer, 75 Conn SE V6, 75 Conn V6, 75 Conn CDTi Tourer, ZS 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogodon View Post
Not even from them online showroom companies like Kazoo.
Unfortunately, we live in a changing world. Nowadays, children & young adults see everything being ordered from their phones on the sofa, and delivered by a man in a van - takeaways, shopping, white goods, household items, just about everything....

And over the last year or two, cars as well. Kazoo, Cinch, Heycar, etc. Well, I guess it means your bum can stay firmly on the settee whilst eating your KFC and flicking through Netflix
Old 4th February 2021, 23:00   #9
Tenesmus
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

I bought a Sterling unseen from eBay and the seller saying he'd drive it down. And he did, and I gave him a lift to the railway station in my SLI.

It was Keith Adams though
2005 Connoisseur 2.5 auto SE Tourer in BRG with Sandstone Beige and Black piping interior (the 2nd of only 7 Rover 75s produced 5th November 2004, and it’s the 244th of 303 facelift British Racing Green 75 tourers built worldwide). All I've done is add Rover walnut gear knob and handbrake...

2016 Vauxhall Viva SL (Father Jack) "assisted manual" (auto) in purple. Going rusty underneath already...

Tenesmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2021, 23:36   #10
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

I get e.mails, phone calls and texts all the while from scammers. How do I tell? Because I can. Call it a wide experience of people through out my 81 years. I have met face to face scammers and they all have one thing in common. Either they are trying to sell you something you don’t really want, but they are very plausible with their story. They are trying to sell you something that you want, but they don’t have it with them at the moment. They guarantee that it fully working. That, if it is jewellery it is hallmarked.I even have scams come from Italy. Easy to spot when you know what you are looking for. Perhaps I was brought up in a time /area where you learnt from your parents what was going on. Today I think that little nuance is missing for various reasons. Just remember, if you think it’s a scam, it more than likely is. They rely on catching you off guard, and the main thing, GREED of the person they approach. Something for nothing is what most people want, and they know it.If it’s to cheap, walk away or tell them to stick it. Learn from other people’s mistakes.