Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd June 2019, 21:41   #1
Mogodon
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 135+ Diesel Auto Mk2. Nisan Micra 1.4 SVE Auto.

Default Not MGR but a surprising observation.

SWMBO wanted to pop into our local posh supermarket and having no desire to go in myself took a walk round the car park.

Some very nice motors in there and the surprise was how many premium brand (BMW, Audi VW's) around 3+ yrs old were sitting on cheapo Chinese budget tyres (Zeta, Rotalla, Autogreen, Event) when I thought top of the range, high end car owners would be putting on premium tyres.
Plenum spyhole mod. Powerflow backbox. 11 spoke alloys repainted Black Sparkle. Black Expansion tank. Drivers side cup holder. PPD carpeted heater box sides. Illuminated sun visors, PPD Door reflectors. PPD Seatbelt lower mount bolt covers. PPD Drivers grab handle. Cubby rechargeable torch and power socket. FBH retro-fitted. FBH engine pre-heater mod done. Electric rear Sunblind. Tow bar. Flip key. MGR towing mirrors and Saloon roof bars.

Hand Built in Birmingham
Mogodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2019, 21:56   #2
Madderz
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Cut backs i suspect......
You can't shop at Waitrose, finance a BMW and afford premium tyres
Madderz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2019, 08:08   #3
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

It's all about the look - not the substance.

Look at me......

I've got a posh new car......

I wannabe famous for being famous without actually doing anything to warrant it.

Oh, and if I fall off the road because I've chosen to buy cheap tat tyres well..... that'll be someone else's fault .

Hands up all the bikers on here who put cheapo tyres on their bikes.

Let me guess at nobody because that credit card size contact patch is the last thing between you and your bits meeting the tarmac. Focuses the mind and the buying decisions very quickly.

Andy.

Last edited by AndyN01; 23rd June 2019 at 08:11..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2019, 08:12   #4
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

I'm totally with you on this one. It's staggering how top end cars can be reduced to poor handling bangers by fitting naff tyres. Owners are just deluded if they think they've got something special.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 23rd June 2019, 10:12   #5
ZedTeeT
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

A combination of don't care and haven't got a clue about tyres. I mean, they're just tyres, they're all the same anyway.................

The trend seems to be drivers that haven't got any clue or any interest in the car that transports them and their family thousands of miles every year. If it stars then it's all good. If it doesn't, just get someone to fix it. Just like they do the washing mashine.

Times are changing, cars are turning into white goods.
85/C Capri 2.8i Special. Mine 29+ years.
82/X Talbot Tagora SX V6. Restoration project.
11/11 Hyundai I Load CRDi. Van....... nuff said.
ZedTeeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2019, 10:42   #6
Mogodon
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 135+ Diesel Auto Mk2. Nisan Micra 1.4 SVE Auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedTeeT View Post
A combination of don't care and haven't got a clue about tyres. I mean, they're just tyres, they're all the same anyway.................

The trend seems to be drivers that haven't got any clue or any interest in the car that transports them and their family thousands of miles every year. If it stars then it's all good. If it doesn't, just get someone to fix it. Just like they do the washing mashine.

Unfortunately, and it pains me greatly, that both my OH (Nissan Micra), Son (Fiesta van) and Daughter (Seat Mii) are all of the above opinion that "its just a bit of metal to get you from A to B.

If I didn't organise MOT's, tax and do weekly checks and organise servicing and repairs, oh, and clean them in sure they'd be oblivious to the fact they would soon be driving around in filthy dirty death traps, likely with no tax or mot.
Plenum spyhole mod. Powerflow backbox. 11 spoke alloys repainted Black Sparkle. Black Expansion tank. Drivers side cup holder. PPD carpeted heater box sides. Illuminated sun visors, PPD Door reflectors. PPD Seatbelt lower mount bolt covers. PPD Drivers grab handle. Cubby rechargeable torch and power socket. FBH retro-fitted. FBH engine pre-heater mod done. Electric rear Sunblind. Tow bar. Flip key. MGR towing mirrors and Saloon roof bars.

Hand Built in Birmingham

Last edited by Mogodon; 23rd June 2019 at 10:43.. Reason: Grammar
Mogodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2019, 11:13   #7
CCFMJL
Regular poster

MGF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedTeeT View Post

Agree

It's a sad state of affairs, but then you cant really tinker with them now the same as the old ones. The guy I use said that he gets folk coming in with a "John what's this noise ect". I think now and for the last good few years, people are scared and cant be bothered tinkering and fixing stuff ie as many say a white goods/throw away society.

But that's the way companies want it to keep their sales an profits up.

Edit...it's the same where I am and my mother, i'm the only one that does anything, it's embarrassing and that's what gets my anxiety and stress going then anger. But she says there's maybe some looking and saying god I wish I could do that and save a few quid instead of going to a garage all the time. But I see it as....oh he cant afford decent stuff and always fixing things to hell with that.

Last edited by CCFMJL; 23rd June 2019 at 11:18..
CCFMJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2019, 12:48   #8
vacuman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Probably most of those high end cars and 4x4's do little more than the school run and shopping trips anyway.
vacuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2019, 13:11   #9
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCFMJL View Post
Agree

It's a sad state of affairs, but then you cant really tinker with them now the same as the old ones. The guy I use said that he gets folk coming in with a "John what's this noise ect". I think now and for the last good few years, people are scared and cant be bothered tinkering and fixing stuff ie as many say a white goods/throw away society.

But that's the way companies want it to keep their sales an profits up.

Edit...it's the same where I am and my mother, i'm the only one that does anything, it's embarrassing and that's what gets my anxiety and stress going then anger. But she says there's maybe some looking and saying god I wish I could do that and save a few quid instead of going to a garage all the time. But I see it as....oh he cant afford decent stuff and always fixing things to hell with that.
I don't give a damn if others think I'm poor, at least they wont break into my house. If they are so rich, why do they live in the same road as me?

I was once listening to two dads waiting while their children played football. They were taking about cars and what they had and I had a smile thinking to myself, I can "afford" both of those for cash. Of course with my old car, I could not one up them

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2019, 13:38   #10
CCFMJL
Regular poster

MGF

maca that's very true, i think a lot of it is trying to keep up with each other ect, i'm poor also and like you say if they are so well off, why are they on the same street . Then again they are probably up to the eyes in debt hence the arroganace of most of them when driving but that's another debate.

I know i shouldnt give a shecht but I kind of do as i'm the only one as I say that does things. But as you rightly say, fek them and just get on with stuff, well what i can do.

The only thing i'm really wary of now is lying under it, even with axles and a old wheel/tyre ect i'm still wary.
CCFMJL is offline   Reply With Quote