Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 27th October 2020, 17:47   #1
Rp61973
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTI Classic

Default Wanton Car Destruction

Just checked out a few breaking 75s and MGZTs on the Bay of Flea. Checking the registrations and the MOT records, some of these cars are low mileage (70K) and from the photos apparently have little wrong with them. Some of them even have current MOTs.

I can understand breaking one of these if, in the case of one car on there, the sills were corroded and the rear subframe and suspension arms were a bit paper doily, so repair is not economically viable.

Is it just the case that some people prefer to profit out of breaking an otherwise perfectly usable example of one of these fine cars?

Just seems a wanton waste to me when my Brother has spent some time trying to track down a low mileage example.
Old 27th October 2020, 18:06   #2
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,431 Posts

Simply because there are very few used car dealers who would want to put a ZT or 75 on their forecourt because in general Mr Joe public car buyer won't buy a car that has no dealership back up for servicing etc..
These cars are rapidly becoming an enthusiasts only purchase and very often any 15 - 20 year old Rover 75 trade in will go to either the local auction or directly to a breakers irrespective of MOT etc.
Sad statement but that's the way of the world

Last edited by Ian G; 27th October 2020 at 18:26..
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2020, 18:07   #3
LeRich
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Cont SE 1.8T

It's the classic case of the cars being worth more in parts than complete, all the more when a big repair bill hits. All mainstream cars go through this phase, particularly when they're as undervalued as the 75 and ZT.
Old 27th October 2020, 19:32   #4
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

To breakers a car is money, their job. Enthusiasts may cringe and I am a bit like that with old vehicles and machinery, but my children would not bat an eye lid and old things being scrapped.

My stuff to my children is probably rubbish but my stuff are prized possession's to me

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2020, 19:40   #5
Adam2003
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Connoisseur

Default Wanton Car Destruction

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
To breakers a car is money, their job. Enthusiasts may cringe and I am a bit like that with old vehicles and machinery, but my children would not bat an eye lid and old things being scrapped.

My stuff to my children is probably rubbish but my stuff are prized possession's to me

macafee2

My 75 was saved from the breakers and scrappers, as if I hadn’t have bought it that was the only place it was going. I bought it for £500 and it had overheating problems, and below average condition exterior and interior. It had gone down a path of just having fuel put in and not had much care. I’m slowly but surely getting it all sorted, and there are young enthusiasts out there like me. My 75 is one year younger than me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Adam2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2020, 19:45   #6
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

Can’t save them all I’m afraid and they’re hardly at the top of the desirability list of most people
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2020, 19:55   #7
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

This thread title’s one reason I stopped watching Top Gear years ago.
Old 28th October 2020, 08:48   #8
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
...... Mr Joe public car buyer won't buy a car that has no dealership back up for servicing etc..
These cars are rapidly becoming an enthusiasts only purchase......
Totally agree.

It's a bizarre situation.

There's examples which are often mistaken for "Jags" in the view that "Jags" are great and lovely and a highly desirable car to have but "Rovers" are a pile of tat and the faster they find their way to the scrap yard the better.

Yet we know that trying to find a modern replacement is a really difficult thing to do. My Passat is a thoroughly efficient, effective and competent car - but it just isn't anything like getting into my 75. It's currently on eBay while the 75 has just had a new ITP.

I wonder what might have been if they had been if they'd been put together with the care and attention to detail that we lavish on our steeds and had the reliability of a Toyota.

In some, rather sad, ways it helps us as there's a steady supply of cars that can be saved at very little money and/or a supply of bits to help us out or upgrade to a higher spec.

Enjoy them while we can.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

Last edited by AndyN01; 28th October 2020 at 08:53..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2020, 09:23   #9
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn CDT Tourer, 75 Conn SE V6, 75 Conn V6, 75 Conn CDTi Tourer, ZS 180

Unfortunately, there are currently more 75/ZT's left than people that want them, hence why cars get broken for bits.

If you've been trying to sell one complete for many weeks/months and had no interest, I guess you can't really blame people for wanting to 'maximise their return' by breaking the car for spares.

Nowadays, most buyers are opting for something shiny and new on a monthly PCP, instead of picking up a spanner and changing rear wishbones...

The positive side of this is that useful parts get sold on to be reused, rather than the whole car being wasted in the crusher.

Last edited by Sonic ZS; 28th October 2020 at 09:26..
Sonic ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2020, 11:00   #10
picky747
Gets stuck in

ROVER

Breakers help keep the rest on the road.
picky747 is offline   Reply With Quote