Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 1st August 2020, 21:28   #1
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts
Default Thanks to Lates600

Just like to thank Leighton and Paul for giving me and two friends a master class in timing belts replacement today on the KV6
They had it stripped down in no time at all. The belts were last changed in 2009, so 11 years and around 80,000 miles covered. I have to say I was surprised at the condition of the timing belts, especially the the two rear belts. They looked new. No wear on the teeth. No cracking when the belts were folded backwards or forwards between the teeth. The large timing belt , although at first appearances seem the same, when the belt was folded teeth inwards, slight cracking began to appear on the smooth outer side. The teeth were ok and no cracking when bent backwards. The worst one was the auxiliary belt, which as usual, was beginning to crack on the ribbed side when bent backwards.This was also 11 years old. They had all been fitted by Lates in 2009.
One of the things that Leighton pointed out to me while dismantling the parts to do the belts was...................when my son had a new alternator fitted, about 4 years ago, the garage that fitted it, ran the belt the wrong way round the idler from the alternator to the crankshaft.Over the top of the idler instead of inside the idler then outwards to the crankshaft.No wonder it used to make a noise louder than usual. He also showed me that the reason there was a clunk when putting it in Drive , was because the teardrop lower engine mount had given up the ghost.I thought it was a solenoid fault in the gearbox.Also, after using a different m.o.t. test Centre for the first time in around 30 years, Lates also showed me that one of the rear wishbone mounts had also gone to their maker. No advisory was recorded. Yea I know, it might not have been in that condition at the mot the end of June, but this one really had gone.