Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd August 2020, 12:50   #11
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Just like to thank Leighton and Paul.....
Do you mean Pete?
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2020, 17:42   #12
ADO282
Banned

ROVER 75 Connoisseur

I think David was sensible to have the belts changed, he also mentions his main belt had deteriorated in addition to the fact the rear belts appeared to be fine.

I've owned two cars over the years (not Rover, both Renault) where the belt has failed before the mileage limit, but in excess of the time interval recommended for replacement.

Because I've no interest is writing off the car, and I have no evidence the belts have been changed recently on my car, I intend booking it in to Beech Hill Garage in Reading to have the belts replaced by their skillful technicians.

I find it interesting that people would be happy to run their car otherwise than in accordance to the manufacturers recommendations, I'm not.

Although I'm quite happy to tackle most jobs, I have neither the tools, nor the inclination to replace these on my driveway.

The fibreglass reinforcement cannot be inspected, and there is as far as I'm aware no non destructive test for such, so erring on the side of caution is a much better course of action than shelling out for a replacement engine.

Chris
ADO282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2020, 21:01   #13
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
Do you mean Pete?
Sorry Pete. Yes it should have been Pete. I blame the keyboard not the operator.����
Old 3rd August 2020, 21:11   #14
bl52krz
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Sorry Pete. Yes it should have been Pete. I blame the keyboard not the operator.����
I put the info up as an observation not a recommendation.
I would always get the belts changed according to the manufacturers time and mileage limit. If I remember correctly, a Swedish member I think it was for some reason had to change his belts and found that the main timing belt had a gash on the edge of it. He said he thought it may have been caused by a stone or something like that had got behind the guard and caused it. It’s called NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-’s law I think. Manufacturers recommendations are there for a reason. Usually well founded. I think my son ,and in retrospect myself, was very,very lucky.
Old 3rd August 2020, 21:24   #15
bl52krz
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
That's the right question to ask Malcolm. David's belts "looked new" after 11 years (80,000 miles) and mine showed no signs of wear after 19 years (90,000 miles) so what's your conclusion from that evidence?

I discovered that it's actually the tensioner and idler pulley bearings which pose the threat. They won't wear unless rotating so do that on a mileage basis. We need more evidence to determine approximately when that should be.

Simon
I think that the gist of what I found, was that the recommendation of 6 years,90,000 Miles, may be the best to follow if you do not use the revs that are available all the time. Both my son and I are not ‘race track’ drivers, and that might have something to do with it.
Old 22nd August 2020, 18:49   #16
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

I would say that the 90000 miles / 6 year recommendation was made my MG Rover to cover the majority of variables. Obviously there are those cars that will fall outside of this.

I remember Les (SMC Trading) reporting cam belt failure on his around 60000 miles and approaching the 6 years.

Fitting 'new' belts on ageing vehicles brings in new variables again. How 'new' is every new cam belt now? I'm sure there will be quite a quantity of 'new' parts that have been waiting on a shelve in a stock room for quite some time.

Worrying to hear the post on the Gates belt. I always though Gates were best of the best.
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2020, 11:48   #17
BoroRover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
i doubt it....

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk
I think it's most unlikely too.
BoroRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2020, 13:56   #18
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon190 View Post
.... How 'new' is every new cam belt now? I'm sure there will be quite a quantity of 'new' parts that have been waiting on a shelve in a stock room for quite some time.
Are the boxes date stamped?

If these belts only fit 75s & ZTs then they could have been on the shelf since 2005 or earlier. On the other hand if they fit more modern cars as well then they're likely to be newer (or even actually new, i.e. made in 2019 or 2020).
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote