Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st August 2020, 09:13   #1
GeoffWW
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer Connoisseur SE Auto, Also fully restored Mk 2 1966 MG Midget

Default Driver's door lock problem

Hi All,

I wonder if any of you have had my present problem and what was the cause and remedy?

Using the central locking fob, it locks all the 4 door locks.
Unlocking the car with central locking fob, with one press or two driver's door stays locked whilst the others unlock.

Manually, using the key inserted into the driver's door-lock barrel, this unlocks the door.
Also, the lever release inside the car releases the driver's lock.

Is this likely to be an electronic fault, not in the door parts, but in the electronic controls behind the glovebox?

Any help would be welcome.

Thanks in advance,

GeoffWW
GeoffWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2020, 09:20   #2
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Most likely to be the actuator inside the door & I had the exact same happen on my ZT-T.
Fitted a used one & job done.

Door panel etc needs to be removed to access. a bit fiddly but not too bad a job, you might require some door panel clips though if they break.

Used ones are available & are plug & play.

Last edited by mh007; 1st August 2020 at 09:22..
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2020, 09:34   #3
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Typical symptoms of a failing unlock motor in the drivers door actuator. they always show themselves first on the operation of the key fob.
Easiest fix is to replace the door actuator which although can be fiddly is not hard to do.

NB: On the drivers door actuator there is a bar nicknamed the dogbone bar because of its shape that MUST be reconnected when you fit the new actuator. Without it being fitted you will loose the ability of being able to lock or unlock the door with the key, not good if you ever have a flat battery with the doors locked.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident

Last edited by stocktake; 1st August 2020 at 13:15..
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2020, 10:20   #4
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

Yes as above, sounds like typical door actuator failure.
Can be awkward to do as you have to do everything by feel as you can't see.
As Dave says it's important to get the dumbbell piece located properly on replacement otherwise you won't be able to use the key to lock or unlock the car.

Drop me a p.m. if would would like me to have a look if this is something you would not like to attempt.

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2020, 11:50   #5
GeoffWW
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer Connoisseur SE Auto, Also fully restored Mk 2 1966 MG Midget

Wow..... Thank you all for your speedy replies. I just wanted to rule out the electronics behind the glove box which you have all confirmed.

I have had a bit of experience of working inside the door after, which I did myself, to avoid loosing the car, when another car came into my driver's side requiring both doors to be replaced, 2 years ago.
'
I still have a large box (it was the packaging for a 'Gtech vacuum cleaner) full of all the door parts from my old door, apart from my original lock, which I swapped over on to the replacement door, the faulty one on the car now. I still have the replacement door's lock unit.

BigRuss, - will this lock unit be swappable or will it need to be T4'd to work with my keyfob? Or is their something in the lock, like the chip in the keyfob which will need swapping over for my fob to work?

Once again, thank you all for your speedy replies which are all agreeing with one another.

Geoff
Old 1st August 2020, 13:20   #6
Lee T
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

The actuator is plug and play, no need for a T4.
Old 1st August 2020, 13:40   #7
GeoffWW
Loves to post

Since my last post above, I have looked in my box of spares from the other door and have found what I thought would be my replacement lock.
Unfortunately part of the black plastic moulding at the top where it is inline with the keyhole has been broken. I have taken some photos but I am not sure as to how I can upload them.

Following your offer of me sending you a PM BigRuss, I think I will send you the photos to you if I am unsuccessful here. I was wondering whether the broken bit can be replaced by the same piece removed, with care, from the present faulty lock. I have put a green ring around the break.

I have also drawn 4 blue arrows pointing to what appear to be tiny electrical contacts. Are these electrical contacts and what purpose do they serve?

BigRuss, I have tried uploading the photo without success, so I will send it on a PM to you.

Again, many thanks,

Geoff.
Old 1st August 2020, 13:44   #8
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffWW View Post
Since my last post above, I have looked in my box of spares from the other door and have found what I thought would be my replacement lock.
Unfortunately part of the black plastic moulding at the top where it is inline with the keyhole has been broken. I have taken some photos but I am not sure as to how I can upload them.

Following your offer of me sending you a PM BigRuss, I think I will send you the photos to you if I am unsuccessful here. I was wondering whether the broken bit can be replaced by the same piece removed, with care, from the present faulty lock. I have put a green ring around the break.

I have also drawn 4 blue arrows pointing to what appear to be tiny electrical contacts. Are these electrical contacts and what purpose do they serve?

BigRuss, I have tried uploading the photo without success, so I will send it on a PM to you.

Again, many thanks,

Geoff.
Have a read Geoff https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=159955
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2020, 14:04   #9
GeoffWW
Loves to post

Hello Suzublu,

Thanks for your help in getting a photo up on to the forum. I will have to go and print it off for reference as I go through the various stages.

Geoff.
Old 1st August 2020, 15:23   #10
GeoffWW
Loves to post

Going through your method, Suzublu, I get to step 4 and then get a message "Uploaded file is not an image". I did not try the "Reebs method" you attached , because you seemed more confident in yours, so will have a go at the "Reebs method"