Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Club Classifieds > Items Wanted
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd September 2008, 11:48   #1
BigJacko
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer 2.0 V6 Club (2002)

Default WANTED - door mirror unit, passenger side (skull-cap version)

Hi all,

Since having my door-mirror kicked off by some thoughtless drunken moron, I am desperate to see if I can source a replacement mirror unit. Happy to pay, if the price is reasonable, and would accept new or secondhand.

Its part number is CRB002180 and it's the more modern type - also known as the Skull-Cap style, I think (i.e., not the original style known as the Bullet).

I'm not bothered about obtaining a skull-cap cover itself (though if anyone has a good-nick JBH Wedgewood Blue 2 going spare or for sale, I'd have it, of course!), but I am very interested in obtaining the mirror+electric motor unit. Non-powerfold, to match with my driver's side, but I'm open to ideas!

Thanks in advance for any help. I've just discovered that my MOT is due on the same day that my wife is due to give birth to our firstborn, so I'm all of a panic now, trying to get things sorted. Otherwise, I'd probably try Mac's mirror-fix - but tbh, I really don't think I'd manage it in time! My hands are rather full at the moment as it is!

Hope someone can help.
Old 3rd September 2008, 11:53   #2
actros
Subscribed Member

20lt 75conny se Damson red

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJacko View Post
Hi all,

Since having my door-mirror kicked off by some thoughtless drunken moron, I am desperate to see if I can source a replacement mirror unit. Happy to pay, if the price is reasonable, and would accept new or secondhand.

Its part number is CRB002180 and it's the more modern type - also known as the Skull-Cap style, I think (i.e., not the original style known as the Bullet).

I'm not bothered about obtaining a skull-cap cover itself (though if anyone has a good-nick JBH Wedgewood Blue 2 going spare or for sale, I'd have it, of course!), but I am very interested in obtaining the mirror+electric motor unit. Non-powerfold, to match with my driver's side, but I'm open to ideas!

Thanks in advance for any help. I've just discovered that my MOT is due on the same day that my wife is due to give birth to our firstborn, so I'm all of a panic now, trying to get things sorted. Otherwise, I'd probably try Mac's mirror-fix - but tbh, I really don't think I'd manage it in time! My hands are rather full at the moment as it is!

Hope someone can help.
If you got to the (ROVER BREAKERS .COM) they may have one if not look on ebay theres some time on there.
Old 3rd September 2008, 12:03   #3
BigJacko
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by actros View Post
If you got to the (ROVER BREAKERS .COM) they may have one if not look on ebay theres some time on there.
Nothing on Ebay at the moment, but I'm looking constantly via RSS. Didn't know about RoverBreakers.com, but will check it out. Thanks for the tip, Actros. I did email Les at SMC last week, but alas they had nothing.

So - if anyone has one actually available, or knows for sure where I can get one, I'm still desperate to know.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10th September 2008, 14:20   #4
BigJacko
Avid contributor

Just a short note to say thanks again for the tips, especially to Actros, and to let folks know that 'the want' is now satisfied!

I managed to source a perfect quality secondhand chrome-covered skull-cap style mirror on Ebay for fifty quid, and simply re-used my original Wedgewood Blue skull-cap which wasn't too damaged.

In terms of contrasting prices, Roverbreakers wanted £80+VAT+Postage for secondhand, or £100+VAT+Postage for a brand new one,

Meanwhile, XPart/Premier wanted more than £200+VAT for a new one (body only, not even with a skull-cap), and that was including our club-member 10% discount! Shocking to think these units were on the XPart 2005 price list at around fifty-five notes brand-new (presumably +VAT), isn't it? Is it inflation, or simple greed, I wonder?

I queried the XPart/Premier price with them (because the older, pre-skull-cap, bullet versions were always in the £150 region, even in 2005, and I wondered if they'd quoted for the wrong type), but I'd given the part number, so there shouldn't really have been any confusion. Alas they didn't bother to reply with an explanation. So I can't say XPart came out looking all that impressive to me, in the end.

And finally, huge thanks again to Mac, whose 'How To' contained enough information on mirror removal for me not to mess anything up or even scratch the paint or drop a screw into oblivion! Another perfectly resolved incident for which the club can rightfully claim responsibility for bringing us all together! Well done, lads. Still say it's the best £3 I ever spent!
Old 10th September 2008, 14:49   #5
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Door mirrors are currently £192 + VAT a side or
£224 + VAT per side for Power-fold without covers of course.

Some BMW/Jaguar and even the Mondeo (new Type) are near £300 each now. Wow!!
Earlier ones around the £80 - £100 mark though.

Another expensive one is the Interior mirror which is.....£127.50 + VAT!

Last edited by JohnDotCom; 10th September 2008 at 14:51..
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 15:11   #6
BigJacko
Avid contributor

Jon, your comment made me go check ThePart.com to see what I could find... curiouser and curiouser...

THe part I was looking for was CRB002180 (LH, elec-mirror unit, non powerfold, convex glass, pax side). Bear in mind this is the NEWER type (aka Skull-Cap), and there are (apparently) two types in circulation (the other being known as the Bullet, I think and having part number CRB110740 for the equivalent).

http://www.thepart.com/en/search/det...ml?id=34083047

Shows that Taggarts have two available for £51.40 - which is very close to the price I can see in my ancient 2005-vintage Electronic Parts List.

Yet Luffields have them on offer at £192, just like you said, Jon:

http://www.thepart.com/en/search/det...ml?id=35269050

And that's the price that XPart quoted me.

Now, to play my hunch, I went hunting on ThePart.com for the bullet version... which I had seen in my 2005 EPL for the higher price of around 150-200 quid, if memory serves.

Lo and behold at Taggarts, it's £195.87
http://www.thepart.com/en/search/det...ml?id=34083061

and a Luffields it's £192
http://www.thepart.com/en/search/det...ml?id=35269054

Something IS amiss, here, imho. The supply chain (and XPart/Premier itself) seems quite happily confused that the CHEAPER, fifty pound skull-cap mirror can be resold at the same price as the more expensive, older, bullet style mirror.

But clearly, this didn't always used to be so - and if you order the correct part number from some garages, you'll get it at the 'actual' price, rather than the 'bigger' price, it seems.

Very odd. I wonder how many other parts which have been substituted over the years are also being charged in similarly 'conveniently overpriced' ways?
Old 21st June 2009, 22:17   #7
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

Hi guys. Could anyone help me with the part number for the N/S later style wing mirror with powerfold. Thanks.

Ben
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2009, 11:22   #8
BigJacko
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon190 View Post
Hi guys. Could anyone help me with the part number for the N/S later style wing mirror with powerfold. Thanks.
Hi Ben

Your wish is my command!

Nearside (LH) later type (Skull-cap, not bullet), Powerfold comes back as:

CRB002100 (and is for car with VINs 225987 and later)

It's described in the parts catalogue by the full title:

Mirror assembly-electric control less cover exterior - LH, With power folding, convex, passenger side

Obviously, if your plastic skull-cap (the cover exterior part referred to above as not being included) is badly damaged, then you'll need one of those too! However, you may be lucky - I was able to prise mine off and re-use it on the new mirror assembly. Mirror-cover codes are different per colour, but they seem to work to a sensible format:

CRC100290XXX - where XXX is your vehicle's colour code. They're referred to on the parts list as "Cover-body colour exterior mirror- LH, <body colour name here>". Once again, this version here is for post-225987 VINs only, and only covers the LEFT side! Numbers are different again for older or RH side mirrors and covers, of course!

Price-wise, who knows... but my rather old 2003-vintage price list shows that the older bullet-style mirror assembly were worth around £260, whereas the newer model skull-cap assemblies were less than half the price, at nearer £104! Big difference! Bear this in mind when ordering... some X-Part dealers seem to get away with charging the older, higher 'bullet' price for newer, meant-to-be-lower-priced 'skull-cap' parts, while others have in the past played it straight and quoted the skull-cap stuff more cheaply. Check through ALL of the X-part listings (use the links above in my earlier posts, and work from there), and check every dealer! It may prove more cost-effective to get one shipped from the other end of the country, than to buy one from an opportunist locally!

This is also especially true when buying from EBay, too, so watch out. They almost exclusively seem to cite 'Bullet' prices for these things, in the hope that people don't know there's a difference.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Old 22nd June 2009, 16:10   #9
Typhoon190
This is my second home

Thumbs up

Thats a great help Neil, big thanks. Would love to have the bullitt powerfolds but I think the chances of me being able to find bullitt mirror caps in Typhoon are a bit slim. Paint is a tad expensive too.

I don't have these as standard at the minute. Hoping to fit them (with a lot of assistance of course). Managed to get a O/S powerfold for £60 off ebay.

Thanks again!
Ben
Old 22nd June 2009, 16:44   #10
Typhoon190
This is my second home

Over £280 new, without cap!