Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11th December 2020, 15:05   #12
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
The coolant temperature is displayed as whole numbers only, whereas the ambient is calibrated in 0.5 degree jumps. So, if the coolant was actually at 7.5C, then the coolant display would show 007. Did you see 075 for ambient under Section 7.1 or did you read that from the standard dash screen?

If you had successfully logged into Section 7.0, I'd expect to see maybe 008 or 010 following an overnight stand after driving. This would be due to the high thermal capacity of the engine. If it had all cooled down to ambient over several days, yet it read 000 then it suggests it's at zero Centigrade. Maybe it was still cold from an overnight standng in freezing weather? Once down to say 0C, warming up to the daytime ambient at this time of year is unlikely to happen. There's not enough time before it's night and freezing again. It's far more informative to watch the temperaturte rise with the engine running so you can access how well the thermostat is performing.

TC
From a previous post it looks as if I did it wrong, hence I got 000.
I will try again and hopefully do it right.
It will be an eye opener if at 9 o'clock it is still "cold" as I do get warm air.
I will have to visit this thread after testing again and seeing what the diagnostics display tells me.
I do not want to fit a digital display and I do not want to run in diagnostics mode, I would like the original gauge to be accurate.

If I fit the other inline stat that is recommended in this thread and that opens when the water is hotter, what can I expect to see when it comes to the needle? Will it sit between 9 and 10 0'clock or will it rise to between 9 and 10 and then the stat opens and the needle drops to 9?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote