Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 8th September 2017, 20:36   #1
neilll
Gets stuck in

MG ZT,MG ZT-T

Default How far without alternator

Hi all,
Had a charging fault on my way to work tonight and would like to know how far do you think it is possible to drive with a fully charged battery and non functioning alternator. The journey would be about 10 miles avoiding motorway, no lights,heaters etc. The car is a manual 190 saloon.I know its a bit of a how long is a ball of string question but has anyone tried or experienced it.
Thanks
Neil
neilll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2017, 20:42   #2
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilll View Post
Hi all,
Had a charging fault on my way to work tonight and would like to know how far do you think it is possible to drive with a fully charged battery and non functioning alternator. The journey would be about 10 miles avoiding motorway, no lights,heaters etc. The car is a manual 190 saloon.I know its a bit of a how long is a ball of string question but has anyone tried or experienced it.
Thanks
Neil
I made it about 15 miles without lights on etc on a dieseler once. . I think petrol would be less

Take a spare battery just in case?
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2017, 20:44   #3
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

A few years ago my wife and daughter were just under 40 miles away from home when the battery light started coming on and off then on constantly. All electrical items were switched off and about 10 miles from home had to drop to sidelights. They made it home although the battery was only abut a week old.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2017, 21:21   #4
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Earlier this year I drove from Swindon to Stourport on severn when my Alternator failed It was a distance of 70 miles but I had nothing running in the car and it was in the day light.And for the last couple of miles it went into limp mode as the systems started to shut down.

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2017, 21:40   #5
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

When mine packed up on the diesel 75 a few years back we were in Edinburgh.

I switched off everything electrical and managed the trip home. Car even started the next day with no problem but I remember changing that alternator was a NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- of a job to do.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2017, 21:50   #6
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Travelled from Boscastle to Bude in my Rover SD1 3.5 one night when alternator gave up the ghost. Only used lights for a couple of miles from Boscastle to main road. Rest was done tailing a car back to the outskirts of Bude.
Old 8th September 2017, 21:52   #7
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Driving my wifes mini (petrol) a month or so back and the power steering failed. I didn't realise at the time that the fault was caused by a dead alternator, so I continued my journey (had little choice really) and made a little over 15 miles with radio and climate control going in blissful ignorance.

Air con switched itself off after (I would guess) around 10 miles, but other than that the car was still running nicely at journeys end until I switched it off. Then it wouldn't re-start - flat battery!

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2017, 22:25   #8
neilll
Gets stuck in

MG ZT,MG ZT-T

Thanks for your advice folks, if I can`t see any obvious faults I will give it a go with a spare battery in the boot.
Neil
neilll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2017, 22:31   #9
Tam
Posted a thing or two

05 ZT+, 04 ZT+, 64 P6 2.0, 74 P6 V8s, 75 P6 V8, 92 214Si, 04 25 Td, 02 Defend , 05 ZR 105+ x2

A few weeks back my charge light came on about 10 miles from Berwick upon Tweed. Made it to Berwick UT and then returned to about 5 miles the North side of the Fourth Road Bridge. Where limp mode kicked in and I had to swap the new battery I had purchased in Berwick upon Tweed.
Old 8th September 2017, 22:52   #10
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilll View Post
Hi all,
Thanks
Neil
I've had a read through this thread, and not one person has suggested that you check fuse number 14 in the passenger compartment fusebox, and as the V6 alternators are fairly robust, I would suggest it may be an idea to do that rather than see how far you get before the car dies

Second row from the left, fifth fuse up 5 Amp

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote