Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 8th April 2018, 17:56   #21
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Just a thought Simon, you may have the crankshaft 180 degrees past the mark ...
Brian, I'm devastated that you even considered that I might have overlooked that pitfall!

The pulley will be removed as soon as I can organise the necessary tooling and I'll carry out a thorough examination on the bench. But really, the idea of the notch is that it must be visible on a rusty pulley when fitted to the car and other members haven't reported any difficulty. I find it hard to believe that it has evaded both my eyes and my fingertip search!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jn12 View Post
...I have a good used one you can have FOC if you feel inclined to swap it.
Thanks for the kind offer John, but I hope that I won't have to take you up on it.

I'll post any interesting developments.

Simon
Old 8th April 2018, 18:43   #22
Ennine
Posted a thing or two

Ford

I'm sure you have already considered re-marking it yourself, once removed.
As I said before, I had the self same problem and to be honest the accuracy of the mark is rather poor anyway and does little more than show you are close. The locating pin is the foremost in accuracy followed by the rear marks.

How to: Replace touch screen Navall II

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ennine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2018, 20:15   #23
SD1too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennine View Post
The locating pin is the foremost in accuracy followed by the rear marks.
Thanks Nige. My special timing tools should arrive mid-week.

Simon
Old 16th April 2018, 12:53   #24
SD1too

Quote:
I'm sure you have already considered re-marking it yourself, once removed.
Here it is Nige:

The orientation of the pulley is how it would appear on the car with the engine aligned in 'safe' condition.
At approximately one o'clock is the groove which I made to correspond with the 'SAFE' arrow on the engine mounting plate casting.
You'll see that 130 degrees in an anticlockwise direction is a little notch in the pulley edge. I have removed the surface corrosion but there is no evidence of any wording as mentioned in RAVE. This notch is a mystery since it cannot represent anything useful on my engine.
Quote:
.. the accuracy of the mark is rather poor anyway and does little more than show you are close. The locating pin is the foremost in accuracy followed by the rear marks.
Agreed Nige. With the engine locking pin in place, I noted 2mm of rotational play in the mounting of the pulley. Behind it, the notch on the crankshaft toothed wheel aligns with the 'speech bubble', though not precisely:

Simon
Old 16th April 2018, 13:47   #25
Ennine
Posted a thing or two

Ford

That's really interesting. I wonder if it's possible the pulley escaped production without the mark or pressed so lightly it has now faded into oblivion. No matter either way now though.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 16th April 2018, 15:33   #26
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Here it is Nige:

The orientation of the pulley is how it would appear on the car with the engine aligned in 'safe' condition.
At approximately one o'clock is the groove which I made to correspond with the 'SAFE' arrow on the engine mounting plate casting.
You'll see that 130 degrees in an anticlockwise direction is a little notch in the pulley edge. I have removed the surface corrosion but there is no evidence of any wording as mentioned in RAVE. This notch is a mystery since it cannot represent anything useful on my engine.

Agreed Nige. With the engine locking pin in place, I noted 2mm of rotational play in the mounting of the pulley. Behind it, the notch on the crankshaft toothed wheel aligns with the 'speech bubble', though not precisely:

Simon
Simon you are going away off on a tangent with this one. I would suggest that you forget or erase the mark you have made on the pulley and use the small notch provided by Powertrain on the outside of the crank pulley which is currently sitting at between 8-9 o'clock.

As I have found out before the bubble mark on the oil pump is irrelevant.

You cannot be in the correct flwheel pin location. Fit the pulley back on, and turn the engine over to align the outer mark with the safe point and then try inserting the timing pin in the flywheel hole by turning the engine back and forth slightly to get it to engage and lock the engine.

Last edited by Lovel; 16th April 2018 at 15:42..
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2018, 15:34   #27
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
That's really interesting. I wonder if it's possible the pulley escaped production without the mark or pressed so lightly it has now faded into oblivion. No matter either way now though.
No it would never get through. The timing mark can be quite clearly seen between 8-9 o'clock.
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2018, 15:43   #28
Ennine
Posted a thing or two

Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
No it would never get through. The timing mark can be quite clearly seen between 8-9 o'clock.
I would most certainly agree on that score, but I am making the assumption that Simon has checked the pin is correct and rear pulleys are correct, also the inner (bubble) mark is correct If that IS the case then something is a bit cranky (no pun intended)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 16th April 2018, 16:02   #29
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Quote:
Simon you are going away off on a tangent with this one. I would suggest that you forget or erase the mark you have made on the pulley and use the small notch provided by Powertrain on the outside of the crank pulley which is currently sitting at between 8-9 o'clock.

As I have found out before the bubble mark on the oil pump is irrelevant.

You cannot be in the correct flwheel pin location. Fit the pulley back on, and turn the engine over to align the outer mark with the safe point and then try inserting the timing pin in the flywheel hole by turning the engine back and forth slightly to get it to engage and lock the engine.
Of course he can, and he is!
The outer mark is of no consequence at all. It is just there to help align the safe position.
The real points to concentrate on is the one on the small geared pulley in front. Get that on the mark, and you are in safe, where the pin can be inserted. Then align the marks on the back sprockets in straight lines each side, and the engine is timed!

And the 2mm you can move the assembly, is fine for aligning all, but once in motion of no consequence, as the assembly only turns one way, so the "slack" is taken up in the movement.
Don't confuse the issue

Last edited by kaiser; 16th April 2018 at 16:05.. Reason: "h"
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2018, 16:33   #30
SD1too

Quote:
You cannot be in the correct flwheel pin location.
The notches on the rear sprockets line-up on both banks Gary. As this point is reached, the locking pin snaps neatly into the flywheel. I have checked and the crankshaft cannot then be turned. RAVE says that this signifies that the engine is aligned correctly. Please have a look at my photographs here and tell me if they match your experience.
Quote:
The timing mark can be quite clearly seen between 8-9 o'clock.
If I align that with the 'SAFE' arrow on the engine mounting plate, the rear sprockets don't line-up!

Simon