Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th February 2015, 14:05   #11
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige B View Post
I only use a microwave at work for snap break...never really liked them , nothing to do with scare stories etc. prefer warming things in oven or on hob...Know what you mean though Harry with the toasters LOL ..warburton is a nuisance to toast , along with proper shaped uncut from bakers.
The scare stories, are just that, scare stories - there is unlikely to be any appreciable leakage unless the oven is damaged in some way or the door interlock deliberately defeated.

You can buy leakage detectors. If you test a microwave oven for leakage, then your mobile phone during a call, you will see there is much more to be wary of in your mobile phone use.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2015, 18:13   #12
Mr Bone
Gets stuck in

75 Cdt. VW Touareg V6 Tdi. Galaxy 1.9Tdi (x2). R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige B View Post
I only use a microwave at work for snap break...never really liked them , nothing to do with scare stories etc. prefer warming things in oven or on hob...Know what you mean though Harry with the toasters LOL ..warburton is a nuisance to toast , along with proper shaped uncut from bakers.
I think the problem with Warburtons etc is that toasters have got smaller. A slice of Warbys toastie used to fit in my mums toaster, and I cant see why they would make the loaves bigger, so it must be the appliances.

Is there an EU standard for toast size.
Old 8th February 2015, 00:02   #13
desperatedan
Regular poster

contemporary SE CDTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by lathbury View Post
I have a Daewoo microwave, it starts, the turntable turns but it won'the heat anything up, can I fix it or is it for the skip?. Thanks, John.
Normally this is just a high voltage diode, the magnatrons don't pack up. If you are opening the back this will not break any seals as these are on the door. Use a mulitmeater and check to see if open circuit. You will see it, its a dirty great big diode. Don't run the microwave with the back removed. P.s you can get replacement s on flee bay but make sure it is rated for microwave use as the voltages are a lot higher than normal.

Last edited by desperatedan; 8th February 2015 at 00:06..
desperatedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2015, 14:03   #14
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by desperatedan View Post
Normally this is just a high voltage diode, the magnatrons don't pack up. If you are opening the back this will not break any seals as these are on the door. Use a mulitmeater and check to see if open circuit. You will see it, its a dirty great big diode. Don't run the microwave with the back removed. P.s you can get replacement s on flee bay but make sure it is rated for microwave use as the voltages are a lot higher than normal.
Its a Magnatron, developed by the British during the war for high frequency high resolution 10cm radar for night fighters.

The stored DC in there can be 2 to 4Kv, which is absolutely lethal. The caps are fitted with a discharge system, to allow the HV to safely leak away, but commonly these safety devices do fail. So I would never suggest the inexperienced delve into microwave ovens. Is it ever worth risking your life, for the £50 cost of replacing them, when you don't have much of a clue?

Me, personally I do, but then I am well aware of the risks and the precautions to take. Our present oven failed last year, so I dived in armed with a means of making sure the HV cap was fully discharged before starting to get too involved. As it happened, the fuse for the HV transformer had popped. Ten minutes later it was fixed from my fuse stock and at no cost. That was a £150 oven and well worth my effort to at least take a look.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 8th February 2015 at 14:08..
Old 8th February 2015, 16:40   #15
jonathan63
This is my second home

CDTi Conniosseur SE HLNav Tourer and a Personal Line CDT Conniosseur SE Tourer..for the time being.

We use a Toshiba that SWMBO brought back from Liberia in about 1980. Works perfectly and weighs a ton.
jonathan63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2015, 16:58   #16
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan63 View Post
We use a Toshiba that SWMBO brought back from Liberia in about 1980. Works perfectly and weighs a ton.
Which weighs a ton, the SWMBO or the microwave

Old 1st October 2018, 13:08   #17
OliverTailor
Spammer. Banned.

Rover 75 Saloo

Personally I have had a normal microwave for years, but am now thinking of buying a convection Microwave Oven. Any recommendations?
BTW the spam links I inserted into my forums posts have been removed and I am now banned.
OliverTailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2018, 13:31   #18
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

I think their definition of microwave cooking is incorrect. Microwaves raise the temperature from the inside, so they cook from the inside to the outside.

Other ovens raise the outside temperature which cooks inwards.
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2018, 16:58   #19
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWIL View Post
I think their definition of microwave cooking is incorrect. Microwaves raise the temperature from the inside, so they cook from the inside to the outside.

Other ovens raise the outside temperature which cooks inwards.

We have a combi, but have only ever used it as a simple microwave. Microwaves only cook from the inside, to a limited extent. The deeper the RF has to penetrate, the weaker they become, so really they do cook from the outside in to some extent. It is wrong to suggest they cook entirely from the inside, wrong to say the cook from the outside - its a mix.

You can see this if you boil water in a glass container and watch it through the window. It will first come to a boil around the circumference and only at the side where the magnetron is. Spread of heat deeper is via conduction/convection. So you get items in the microwave boiling over on the outside, yet still frozen in the middle.

Microwaves heat things up by 'jangling' the water molecules about, hence why cooking food with high moisture works so well.

A normal oven cooks / heats food by heating up the outer surface only, then heat spreads deeper by conduction/ convection.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 1st October 2018 at 17:03..
Old 1st October 2018, 18:37   #20
Ennine
Posted a thing or two

Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverTailor View Post
Personally I have had a normal microwave for years, but am now thinking of buying a convection Microwave Oven (a definition on convection microwaves) . Any recommendations?

Recently purchased a new Panasonic combination. Superb bit of kit. No turntable so very easy to keep clean. Have used combination units for years. I have a whirlpool VIP here that I bought in 1997 and it's still going strong, only needed to replace the mica panel three of four years back

How to: Replace touch screen Navall II

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ennine is offline   Reply With Quote