Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd November 2018, 06:29   #21
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
The OAT pink, long life coolant as recommended by MGR, also proved to corrode gaskets over the long term
Can you share that link to the factual evidence?

In my experience the adhesive bond of the elastomer on the gasket gives way due to multiple heat and pressure pressure differentials between the cooling and oil system. Also the hydrocarbon in oil reacts with the bond/elastomer at temperature too, eventually weakening the bead of elastomer leading to oil and water mixing, the owner not observing this phenomenon and continuing to drive until the engine is clogged with mayo.
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2018, 14:47   #22
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGJohn View Post
Hmmmm.... Following reassembly of the cooling system on my ZT-T 1.8T, part of the long slow process of DIY renewal of the Clutch Slave Cylinder, I used BLUE antifreeze in the system this time where previously I used OAT. Consider this, it now has a Chinese MG6 engine which I know has only 25,000 miles on it. I wonder what the Oriental Manufacturer recommends for their version of the Former Rover Group's K-Series.

This thread has reminded me about the negative comments some here and elsewhere have about using OAT as recommended by the Manufacturer MG-Rover. My ZS 120 since new in 2003 has always had OAT and that has only been changed once in the now over fifteen years of ownership. The family love that MG ZS and I'd like to keep it going for them for another ten years.

I'm now wondering if I should drain, flush and fill it it with the BLUE stuff.

I considered using Blue Coolant when i had HGF repairs done - I opted to go for OAT - hoping to gain some experience of my own r.e any future gasket Failure and potential cause.

I have fresh OAT here to refill upon completion of my current required repairs.

the Gasket removed had only been fitted for 2 years and around 20k miles - no sign of any damage to the Gasket Elastomer - so i'll stick with OAT for now.

Could it be that OAT not changed at the recommended intervals and left in the system too long causes a reaction with the Elastomer bond if coolant has a limited lifespan it suggests a change in it's properties and chemical structure ? and possibility for adverse reactions ?

the longer lifespan of OAT could encourage some folks to view routine coolant change as unnecessary

Paul.
Sheraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2018, 15:14   #23
biffa75
Trader

Mk1 2004 tourer cdti + MK1 2003 Saloon CDT

Wow! Thank you all for the informative replies. I must say, i really like the idea of the 1.8 just for the cheaper tax and running costs. I have studied photos of when other owners of tue k series have had headgasket issues and dont find it off putting.

Im drawn to the 1.8 as they do come up cheaper than the v6 and imagine clutch and cambelts are much cheaper than the diesel and kv6 models.

Thanks
Rob
biffa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2018, 15:36   #24
Gazmo65
Loves to post

Volvo S80

What about using waterless coolant, this stops any pressure build up
Gazmo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2018, 15:39   #25
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGJohn View Post
it now has a Chinese MG6 engine which I know has only 25,000 miles on it. I wonder what the Oriental Manufacturer recommends for their version of the Former Rover Group's K-Series.

the info i've seen suggests the MG6 is spec'd with OAT at factory.

it's funny how there is no Mass Media Hype surrounding these modern cars fitted with the K-Series - not that I'm paying much attention - however everyone and their Dog heard about Rover and their "sure to fail" Headgasket on the K-Series....... hmmmm

Paul.
Old 2nd November 2018, 23:14   #26
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

I must have replaced a dozen k serie hgs by now.
Of all these, probably only two were failed, the rest were "just in case" or on owners insistence.
I think the elasomer did used to fail, around 8 to 10 years, maybe 80k miles. Oat does eat steel, does it affect elasomer? I don't know.
If the liners are just proud,, square with the block face, the head isn't soft, and more critically, and most likely to be an issue, is the radiator and water pump are OK.
The 1.8k will never be a high boost mile muncher, but std engines with good cooling systems will do 100k plus with no issues. Just don't take any shortcuts if youaveto rebuild one.
minimutly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2018, 23:46   #27
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

I've had a few Engine/Performance issues in the 3 years i've owned my 1.8t - However, especially this last jumped timing belt/Piston damage (My fault ) I've been surprised each time I've had an issue, how well the K-series deals with it it's not as dainty and brittle as folks "Believe"

Even with damage my Car only stopped running/driving (and better than most Cars) when I removed the Cylinder Head - Ok I may have been fortunate not to have suffered too much Piston/Valve damage - still, my Experience of the K-Series goes against the "Urban Myth" and reputation (based on hearsay) often spread r.e the K-Series.

K-Series development
https://youtu.be/K4u6lCgKtpo

A wee bit of tweaking
https://youtu.be/0QJwG__gAxY

https://youtu.be/kPbzuvwzNB4

Paul.
Old 3rd November 2018, 02:41   #28
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheraton View Post
Don't believe the HYPE

the K-series is a GREAT Engine

OR - buy into the HYPE and go for a "BulletProof BMW" Chain Driven Diesel

Paul.
It really isn't hype Paul. My diesel has done 397k miles and the engine has never been apart.

A couple of sensors, starter motor brushes, and alternator slip ring brushes have been replaced along with a serpentine belt idler bearing and, apart from service items that is it.

If anyone has a K Series that hasn't been apart at similar mileage then post it up and we can compare the two.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2018, 15:01   #29
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
It really isn't hype Paul. My diesel has done 397k miles and the engine has never been apart.

A couple of sensors, starter motor brushes, and alternator slip ring brushes have been replaced along with a serpentine belt idler bearing and, apart from service items that is it.

If anyone has a K Series that hasn't been apart at similar mileage then post it up and we can compare the two.

I think it IS HYPE was the Diesel Engine fitted in our cars ever used in a BMW

I'm not having a dig at the Diesel - just the HYPE - it's a "BMW" Engine so MUST be "Bulletproof"

my Brother in law Scrapped his BMW a while back due to HGF

the K-Series (along with input from Good Folks here) Inspires Confidence in relatively inexperienced folks like myself to learn about the technical aspects of the Engine and Invites the DIY approach to repairs

it's also the tidiest looking in the Engine Bay of a 75/ZT with plenty of access

it's the Lightest Engine in the range too - I recently read of others experience
of Understeer being an issue in the 75 this must be a V6/Diesel thing ? - I've only driven my own 75, seems to be near perfect 50/50 weight distribution - and does NOT suffer from Understeer - OK Once in the Snow
when i'd only had the Car a couple of Months.

Paul.
Old 3rd November 2018, 21:08   #30
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

There must be some significance in the fact that when Trikey asked for members to join the Moon Club (cars with over 225,000 miles) all of the 22 were diesels bar 1 KV6 190. It would be interesting to see 4 years on, the distribution of engine types among new members, but looking at recent contributors, diesels are still by far in the majority.
Perhaps we should just say that the K series suffered from overheating problems, or fluid mixing problems above what an owner, however clueless, might reasonably expect. That way, we can lay the blame for the general acceptance by the garage trade (and they should know) that they had to repair overheated and mayonnaisy K series engines more than most others, on any one of several design, engineering, or manufacturing faults in engines fitted to a range of cars, including Lotuses and Land Rovers.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote