Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 17th February 2018, 02:07   #1
biffa75
Trader

Mk1 2004 tourer cdti + MK1 2003 Saloon CDT

Default Returning a sleeping 75 to the road after a year

Hi all,

Well my 75 ownership was cut short just a few months into ownership due to fuel and tax costs however a deal was struck between my parents and a car swap took place an they have owned the 75 ever since. However my parents then were granted a mobility car due to my mothers disabilities and as the 75 began showing problems and mot looming. It has subsequently been parked up for just over a year without an mot.
Its a Y plate pre-project drive 2.0v6 connie. About 10k miles before being parked up the previous owner had replaced the clutch and belts etc and was a really good example.

Anyway back to the point my parents are now wanting to get the rover back on the road for my dad and heres the issues..

Abs warning light on constant with abs tremble through the pedal whenever breaking

Central locking 'bounces' when trying to lock using the fob. Usually taking several attempts before the doors are actually locked.

Airbag warning lights on * going to check under the seats*

Knocking from front suspension believe it could be a knackered bush or ball joint. Drop links done not long before being parked.

Any ideas on these areas?.
Managed to find a good usable pair of rear lower arms at upullit with good bushes a few months ago. So rear suspension arms wont be a problem.

Havent had chance to look at the car as yet but more looking for an idea of where to start hunting first

Thanks
Rob
Old 11th September 2018, 10:10   #2
biffa75
Trader

Just to update this,

We will be starting work over the next few days towards getting this big ol' rover on the road once again.
Just to update here, this is my dads car (originally mine but swapped vehicles due to running costs). It has been sat on their driveway for over a year without an mot and my dad has been looking at all kinds of rubbish and myself, my brother and mother are secretly working on the rover to stop him buying another car.

Rob
Old 11th September 2018, 10:44   #3
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffa75 View Post
Just to update this,

We will be starting work over the next few days towards getting this big ol' rover on the road once again.
Just to update here, this is my dads car (originally mine but swapped vehicles due to running costs). It has been sat on their driveway for over a year without an mot and my dad has been looking at all kinds of rubbish and myself, my brother and mother are secretly working on the rover to stop him buying another car.

Rob
Good luck with the project. Your ABS issue is going to be a sensor issue. The trick will be to find out which wheel.

Assuming your speedo works it wont be front right, and if your cruise control works if wont be front left, after that you will need to look on here for a thread showing how to test sensors using a multimeter to track down which wheel it is.

Once you know that, it is either the sensor, or the wheel bearing. Plenty of advice available in the forum to help you get it sorted.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2018, 19:37   #4
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Save the guesswork, BigRuss is in Liversedge and will be able to pinpoint the causes of the problems without fuss or drama

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2019, 22:48   #5
biffa75
Trader

Small update, unfortunately not a lot has been done since I last posted. The car has all its rear suspension subframe etc removed and is on a set of stands. However my parents have decided against getting it back on the road now and have asked if I want it for £200.
Currently I'm considering it myself as the previous owner had the clutch and belts done. Currently has around 115k miles on the clock but with new rear lower arms and bushes, springs and dampers front arms and drop links and new brake pads and discs and shoes and welding on the sills at the rear and a full service and new tyres all around and new keys ( still have no keys as the only key has been lost). I'm trying to decide whether it's worth it or not. It is a 2001 pre project drive Connie V6 manual. Bodywork isn't too bad other than the odd scratch and the welding which we can sort ourselves..
If we did buy it, we would keep it. But we and the wife are trying to save for a deposit for our first house..
Decisions... Decisions
Old 22nd January 2019, 07:05   #6
Dawn
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

Well the very worst the airbag can be is the sensor under the seat whichbyou can usually get from traders on here for about £15. The ABS you really need it plugging in for. Only you know your money situation enough to make rhe call, though.
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2019, 09:15   #7
biffa75
Trader

Oh, well that's one job ticked off the list if that's the case.. had this previously with a few cars. Appears to be quite a common issue amongst most makes.
This is true, It would be nice as I had myself been considering a p6 after we had saved up the deposit. However the 75 would be a little easier to live with for daily use. I think I'm going to go for it in fairness as it was my wedding car.
Old 22nd January 2019, 18:23   #8
e668ecp
I really should get out more.......

Range Rover Evoque and ZT V8 SE

Agree.. visit BigRuss or PM to get him over. He is a star!
e668ecp is offline   Reply With Quote