Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

View Poll Results: What do you do in stop start traffic
keep in drive with foot on brake 24 34.29%
keep in drive with hand brake on 5 7.14%
put in neutral with foot on brake 14 20.00%
put in neutral with handbrake or no brake 27 38.57%
put in park 3 4.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29th June 2019, 18:21   #21
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,431 Posts

In the summer in Weymouth I put it in park apply the handbrake, get out lock the door do a bit of shopping have a coffee in the cafe' then go back to the car move 10 metres and repeat..
At other times I pop it into neutral and keep my foot on the brake unless it's more than a minute or so then I use the handbrake but always into N.
Cheers
Old 29th June 2019, 19:12   #22
livinginthepast
Regular poster

rover 75 tourer

According to the manual...diesel models automatically select neutral from a drive gear if the vehicle is stationary and the brake applied. Drive will reselect automatically when the brake is released. Haven't noticed mine doing this!
livinginthepast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2019, 20:00   #23
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
Dip $&*t drivers see no brake lights that means go to them.
i hope like clf you take your foot the brake once the car behind has stopped.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2019, 20:34   #24
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

I drive a Volvo 740 automatic as my other car and if I'm stopped at lights then I'll put in Neutral and put the handbrake on. I've never believed that it's good for an automatic to sit idling in gear for any length of time, leading to overheating of the torque convertor.

I also drive a bus with a semi-automatic box and again it's not recommended to leave idling in neutral as it leads to overheating of the fluid flywheel.

I think more modern autos select neutral when stationary so I suppose it's not an issue with these.
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2019, 20:39   #25
Ennine
Posted a thing or two

Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvo View Post
I drive a Volvo 740 automatic as my other car and if I'm stopped at lights then I'll put in Neutral and put the handbrake on. I've never believed that it's good for an automatic to sit idling in gear for any length of time, leading to overheating of the torque convertor.

I also drive a bus with a semi-automatic box and again it's not recommended to leave idling in neutral as it leads to overheating of the fluid flywheel.

I think more modern autos select neutral when stationary so I suppose it's not an issue with these.
Very bad idea to leave DSG or powershift type boxes in gear when stopped for any length of time. Always neutral and handbrake for me whatever auto box it is.

How to: Replace touch screen Navall II

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ennine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2019, 20:45   #26
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvo View Post

I know some don't, I can feel the back going down as the car tries to move forward so its into park......will have to remember to use nutral

macafee2
Old 29th June 2019, 20:48   #27
ZedTeeT
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

I always put autos into N when stationary, always have. I started many years ago when my older cars would get hot in traffic due to the load on them sitting in drive. If its just a momentary stop I will just use my foot brake, but any longer and its handbrake on. I think people are getting lazy behind the wheel as modern cars are so molly codling and do everything for you.
85/C Capri 2.8i Special. Mine 29+ years.
82/X Talbot Tagora SX V6. Restoration project.
11/11 Hyundai I Load CRDi. Van....... nuff said.
ZedTeeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2019, 20:50   #28
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

about 60% of you keep your foot on the brake but I'm uncertain of the accuracy. At least one has said they take their foot off once the car behind has stopped and I don't know how that was voted. I would hope that all would take their foot off once the car behind has stopped so you don't dazzle the driver behind at night. If not, I hope you will now give it some consideration.

macafee2
Old 29th June 2019, 21:05   #29
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
about 60% of you keep your foot on the brake but I'm uncertain of the accuracy. At least one has said they take their foot off once the car behind has stopped and I don't know how that was voted. I would hope that all would take their foot off once the car behind has stopped so you don't dazzle the driver behind at night. If not, I hope you will now give it some consideration.

macafee2
there is another reason for removing your foot. Especially if you have braked hard enough to heat the discs a lot, keeping the pads to the disc may cause it to warp as the heat will take longer to dissipate at that point.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2019, 21:10   #30
myfirstrover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 cdi

I know that the council bin lorry drivers are told to put it in neutral whenever they can , to stop the gearbox from overheating
myfirstrover is offline   Reply With Quote