Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th June 2020, 13:11   #11
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts
Default U.S. Freeze Bank Accounts

"The US authorities say they have frozen the assets of six Nigerian nationals for cyber fraud amounting to about $6m (£4.7m).

The fraudsters targeted American individuals and small businesses in an "elaborate scheme’’ of romantic fraud or by impersonating business executives.

They allegedly received illegal money transfers and manipulated their victims to access their usernames, password and bank details.

Some victims of romance scams were targeted through emails and social media.

The US authorities say the majority of those affected were women, the elderly and those who had lost a spouse.

The whereabouts of the suspects is unknown, but authorities say all their property and interests in the US have been blocked. How much this amounts to is unclear.

American citizens have also been prohibited from dealing with the fraudsters.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the fraudsters had taken advantage of technological advancements to target vulnerable Americans.

In August 2019, the US charged 80 foreign nationals, mostly Nigerians, for the attempted theft of $46m through internet fraud.

Last year, the US Treasury Crimes Enforcement Network said it had received more than 32,000 reports involving almost $9bn in attempted theft schemes targeting US financial institutions and their customers. "
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2020, 14:42   #12
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

And here, DFiD is to be closed entirely with the responsibilities and all funding decisions transferred to The Foreign and Colonial Office so that that crooked administration can be monitored under very different conditions. We hope.

Mind you, a certain A. Blair was the last one responsible for the DFiD to be returned by separation from The F & CO purview, it gets swapped with every change of government colour.

Maybe this time it might stick and go some way to stopping the magic roundabout that feeds so many useless articles from their sinecures that makes a mockery of accounting law.

Just waiting now for some idiot to start a row about Nigerians being victims of racism.
Old 17th June 2020, 15:39   #13
KLM
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Club CDT

Black Fraud Matters.

Kev.
KLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2020, 22:48   #14
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
Quite like to see how this pans out. Coming through the FBI, not necessarily always noted for thoroughness and careful judgement, although they use the caveat ‘with most of them located (my bold) in Nigeria’, it seems curiously linked to other current US offshore shenanigans. Other origins are hinted at so conclusions may be a bit previous. While the mind boggles at examples of the naivete (sorry, no umlaut on this box) of victims, I suspect a high percentage will be elderly – even more cruel.
You are surely getting your diacritical marks mixed up, is it not a diaeresis over the "i"

After reading the story this was a nice quote.........

One of the victims, a Japanese woman named FK in court papers, was conned out of $200,000 after being contacted by a fraudster identifying themselves as US Capt Terry Garcia who wanted to smuggle diamonds out of Syria

Really? I hope they don't give that particular con "victim" their money back......Oh I didn't realise that someone attempting to smuggle diamonds, might be in any way dishonest

Brian

P.S. I'm a Nigerian prince, would you like to assist me in moving $20000000 out of the country in return I shall give you 1% , all I ask is you deposit £100000 in my offshore account
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2020, 12:44   #15
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

[QUOTE=marinabrian;2819759]You are surely getting your diacritical marks mixed up, is it not a diaeresis over the "i"
QUOTE]

Please excuse the snip!.....

Thanks Brian! To explain my curious use of non-words for emphasis...and the lack of a proper range of keyboard buttons...

I can’t find an “i” in the post that would need qualifying! However, my bracketed reference to umlaut was to the immediately preceding word naivete which I believe, to correctly use with due respect to its origins, should have the necessary mark over the final e (to sound as ‘ay’ as in the French).

In support of this guff of mine I give you my rapidly grabbed source with the following: ‘...a vowel which has been altered in the German...., two dots put over a vowel which has been altered.....English plurals showing internal vowel modification...’ In this instance the mark should be a sloping slash? English, being derived from the Germanic languages, makes homage to our historical influences despite current references to statuary being defaced!

Anyway I take with humility and gratitude the compliment of being read! Some, in the forgettable past, have called me pompous and arrogant, seemingly unaware of my desire for purity of expression rather than copy vague and amateurish sarcasm! Thankfully, not for quite a long time now. Thanks for your welcome suggestion!

Last edited by wraymond; 19th June 2020 at 12:58..
wraymond is offline   Reply With Quote