Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 6th August 2020, 09:59   #1
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Default Headlights aiming too high?

Hi all, I'm after a bit of help. A few weeks ago coming home from work at night my headlights seemed to be higher than normal, and oncoming cars flashed me a few times, think they thought I had my main beam on.
I had a look the next day and the back end of the car was sitting low, 2 snapped springs, I've replaced them for the same spec and so it's now sat back at normal height. I've not driven at night since to see if the lights were now normal again, until last night, where I found once again they aim too high. Using the manual leveller on the lowest setting they look about right.
Parked up in front of a flat wall and the pattern looks about right, higher on the left, then in the middle an angled line, down to the right hand beam. So whatever is causing it is affecting both lights.

I changed the front bumper a while back, and can't remember but may have removed the headlights too and refitted. Could they be put back wrong and thus point upwards? Or is there anything else that could cause this? I don't really have the space here to try and get the car far enough away from the garage door to try and align them myself, and I can't see how they'd both go out of alignment by the same amount.

Thanks for any help...
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2020, 10:18   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

If the adjuster wheel on the dash raises/lowers both beams, then the internal motors inside the lamps are working correctly. However, if you need to turn the wheel all the way 'down' to get the correct beam height, then I'd suggest adjusting the default position using the mechanical levelers on the rear of each lamp. You need an allen key or hex bit to turn the white adjusters. the inner ones adjust the up/down and the outer ones change the left/right position of the beams.

These set the basic beam positions and the interior wheel allows further trimming according to the suspension loading.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2020, 15:30   #3
TeeCee
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

If adjustment required:

1) Park up to wall with lights on.
2) Chalk an X on the wall at the angle where the level bit of the dip beam and the uptick to the left meet.
3) Back up 20 yds.
4) Adjust lights until angle is on the X again.

Alternatively.... check rear upper suspension arms for rot. That's what was wrong with my old tourer when the lights started pointing skywards.
Old 6th August 2020, 22:55   #4
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
If the adjuster wheel on the dash raises/lowers both beams, then the internal motors inside the lamps are working correctly. However, if you need to turn the wheel all the way 'down' to get the correct beam height, then I'd suggest adjusting the default position using the mechanical levelers on the rear of each lamp. You need an allen key or hex bit to turn the white adjusters. the inner ones adjust the up/down and the outer ones change the left/right position of the beams.

These set the basic beam positions and the interior wheel allows further trimming according to the suspension loading.

TC
Thanks, the motors are working, they do the down and back up at startup, and they move when I use the adjuster wheel. They are just both aimed too high, and I can't see how they'd both go out of adjustment by the same amount. I've attached some photos below of the beam pattern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeCee View Post
If adjustment required:

1) Park up to wall with lights on.
2) Chalk an X on the wall at the angle where the level bit of the dip beam and the uptick to the left meet.
3) Back up 20 yds.
4) Adjust lights until angle is on the X again.

Alternatively.... check rear upper suspension arms for rot. That's what was wrong with my old tourer when the lights started pointing skywards.
Thanks, upper arms are corroded, and will be getting replaced imminently but when I replaced the springs a couple of weeks ago, they were flaking but with some poking they still seemed firm. Only 1 small hole under where the springs sits in the arm, on 1 side of the car.

I've found the guides to adjusting headlights, but I haven't really got the space to get that far away from the garage door.

Heres a few photos of the beam pattern, 1st is adjuster at the lowest setting, about 20' away from the garage door.
2nd is about 6' from the door, lowest setting.
3rd is 6' from the door but on the highest setting.
The height difference between lowest and highest at 6' is about 1 brick.

I might pop to a local garage tomorrow and see if they could adjust them on the thing they use for MOT's.

Old 7th August 2020, 07:54   #5
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

To be honest, I've been aligning my own lights for ages and never had anyone flash me and the MOT guys never say anything.

My general rule is that the line I have circled on your image in yellow is straight, doesn't go up, and doesn't go down, just a nice straight line. This method hasn't failed me and they are normally then adjusted at the maximum that is allowed

The think is as well, is that you've got reflector lights, so they do appear a bit brighter to oncoming traffic than projectors do. They don't tend to do concentrate the light as well as it is using the silver reflective insert in the light to form the beam, then all this light is coming out the entire lens. As opposed to just the projector lens inside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8aQocr3l.jpg (42.7 KB, 22 views)
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2020, 08:28   #6
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude666 View Post

I've found the guides to adjusting headlights, but I haven't really got the space to get that far away from the garage door.

Heres a few photos of the beam pattern, 1st is adjuster at the lowest setting, about 20' away from the garage door.
2nd is about 6' from the door, lowest setting.
3rd is 6' from the door but on the highest setting.
The height difference between lowest and highest at 6' is about 1 brick.

I might pop to a local garage tomorrow and see if they could adjust them on the thing they use for MOT's.

Best way to test the headlight aim is to do one at a time, cover one over with a blanket or something.

Looking at those photos, it would appear that one beam is lower (or higher) than the other. The beam on these headlamps is a Z pattern so should have a flat top on the nearside.
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2020, 09:01   #7
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Like this

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2020, 09:16   #8
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Are we talking projectors or reflectors here? If reflectors, a bulb isn't upside down is it? Or projectors, the lever is in the correct position
3rd scenario, factory xenons, self leveling arms upside down
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2020, 09:21   #9
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Thanks, I'll have a go over the weekend. They are projector headlights, LH was new from Rimmers last year, RH could do with a clean as it's going cloudy again.
I've only ever set the headlight on my bikes before, and that was easy, done in the garage, drew a couple of lines on the cupboard door and it was done. I'll get some tape and try doing the markings on the garage door, I've had a measure up and I reckon I can just about get the car 25' from the garage door if I park just outside the gates.

They are projectors, what lever are we talking about? I fitted a new LH headlight unit last year, and then it passed it's MOT, not sure how a lever would've got knocked between then and now.
Old 7th August 2020, 09:44   #10
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude666 View Post
Thanks, I'll have a go over the weekend. They are projector headlights, LH was new from Rimmers last year, RH could do with a clean as it's going cloudy again.
I've only ever set the headlight on my bikes before, and that was easy, done in the garage, drew a couple of lines on the cupboard door and it was done. I'll get some tape and try doing the markings on the garage door, I've had a measure up and I reckon I can just about get the car 25' from the garage door if I park just outside the gates.

They are projectors, what lever are we talking about? I fitted a new LH headlight unit last year, and then it passed it's MOT, not sure how a lever would've got knocked between then and now.
Take the rubber cap off dipped beam the lever is to the side of the unit. Can't remember if it should be up or down for UK
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote