Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th October 2020, 16:44   #11
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
Thanks for the detailed reply. If you have another look at my post 2 you’ll see I advised using Toaf together with a used BCU. Your your own post speaks of a replacement BCU but requires a T4, could be bodged with Toaf but it wouldn’t work properly.
I have no idea if Toaf is capable of programming a virgin diesel ECU, I don’t have a diesel or any interest in one, however I’d be surprised if this knowledge is confined to a select few T4 owners. The Poles, unlike the Swedes, do run diesels and despite their absent have been busy with remaps etc. There was even talk of a Android version but sadly they’ve stopped posting here.
But, back to the BCU and not the used one but the new one. Wouldn’t it be possible for someone to back up their own BCU, send the OP the file for him to restore to his virgin BCU with Toaf?
Anyway I was pleased to see you say that Toaf is a handy piece of software, there was a time on here that only Phil-T4 could get away with saying anything positive about Toaf.

Regards
That’s cool, I was only referring to programming a new one. Not a second hand one. I’d imagine the Toaf backup and restore would only work properly if the bcu was the exact same model, but I’m not sure if a Toaf backup backs up everything, or just the settings that Toaf can change. I don’t know Toaf well enough to comment. Like I’ve said, I’m not knocking Toaf as a useful tool, just I doubt it can program a Virgin unit as well as a T4.

Easiest thing for a new bcu is to plug it in and let the T4 do its thing and reconfigure it. If the original is faulty but still talks to the diagnostic then the ecu replacement procedure should be used which copies across all remote fobs.

I’m not going to argue anymore, I think I’ve made my stance quite clear. Toaf works, T4 works. T4 can program is Virgin units properly, Toaf may be able to program them well enough to function and then get the car to a T4 to finish the config.
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2020, 21:31   #12
MickeyV

MY ZT

All's well that ends well, the icing on the cake is that the car passed its MoT, couple of advisories but am just glad to have th old thing back in the land of the living!
MickeyV is offline   Reply With Quote