Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th November 2020, 08:53   #1
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts
Default Road charges to fill £40bn black hole?

It seems the penny might have finally dropped re the use of electric cars and the governments now stated aim of no more petrol/diesel cars sold after 2030.

It seems they have woken up to the fact that this puts at risk the tax revenue they take from us petrol/diesel heads.

Broken down this brings in £27.5bn pa in Fuel duty

Vehicle Excise Duty brings in £7.1bn

And VAT on fuel brings in £5.7bn

The Institute of Fiscal Studies reported that this was a “huge long-run fiscal challenge to government” in that the stated desire to cut carbon emissions to net zero by the middle of the century “means that revenue from fuel duty will completely disappear over the next few facades”.

Road charging seems to be the most likely option. My son bought a widget that sits on his dashboard and when he travels in France on toll roads, the tolls are automatically counted and he is billed each month.

He says it works well.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2020, 09:19   #2
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

I would have thought the simplest thing would be to change VED back to the old system of a standard fixed rate "road tax" (as we used to call it).

I suspect you're right though, and some form of road charging will be introduced. The deficit will have to be made up somehow, that's for sure.

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2020, 09:21   #3
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

I read that all commuter routes with twice daily traffic jams will be getting levied the most along with work place parking place levies being implemented also.
Most new cars will have the V2X (vehicle to everything) 5G chips & GPS in them which will automatically bill your account where you have driven.
The new Euro Cat 6 (d) emission standards starts on 1-1-2021 with 80kg/kM the limit. My hybrid Kia Niro is 95kg/kM so I'm wondering if VED will be going up at the start of next year

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto

Last edited by Lancpudn; 16th November 2020 at 09:50..
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2020, 09:44   #4
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

You would have to increase VED to several thousands of pounds per year to make up for all the lost fuel revenue.

With the rise of electric vehicle sales this had to come, because as it stands at the moment you can charge your car for free if you have solar panels - so free electricity and zero VED = free motoring.

It is exactly this combination that has prompted one of my friends to order an electric car.
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2020, 10:06   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-45 View Post
You would have to increase VED to several thousands of pounds per year to make up for all the lost fuel revenue.

With the rise of electric vehicle sales this had to come, because as it stands at the moment you can charge your car for free if you have solar panels - so free electricity and zero VED = free motoring.

It is exactly this combination that has prompted one of my friends to order an electric car.
I wonder how long it will take them to recover the cost?

It was obvious something would be done to make up the shortfall in Government income from the loss road fund licence and fuel duty from newer cars.
Will those using petrol and diesel pay yet again, we pay via fuel tax, we pay via road fund licence, will we now have to pay via tolls?
Roads that do not attract a toll will probably become busy as people look to avoid the toll if only certain road attract the toll.

Even the score, apply it only to electric and those already on reduced road fund licence

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2020, 10:09   #6
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

I've just been reading about the upcoming Euro Cat 7 emission standard could de facto ban cars with combustion engines as early as 2025 https://www.electrive.com/2020/11/16...ions-standard/

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2020, 13:54   #7
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

My brother in law is actively looking at leasing an electric Renault, not sure of the model. He claims the lease cost will be less than his spend on petrol. The government will not stand idly by and let motorists get cheaper motoring. Something will be afoot for sure in the corridors of power to smack us all down again when the timing is right!
Just wait until 2040 when they discover that the massive EMF's created inside electric cars have induced millions of motorists with electrohypersensitivity.
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2020, 14:55   #8
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,431 Posts

Am I correct in thinking that (at the moment) you can only have an electric car charging point fitted if you have your own off road parking, ie garage or driveway. I suspect that 50/60% of car owners have no option but to park on roadside or in communal car parks, has anyone even given this a thought?
Add to that that they (electric vehicles) are useless for anything more than a short commute to work or popping to the shops and I fail to see how they can replace petrol/diesel powered vehicles for longer journeys or freight carrying.
Without doubt cars/vans/trucks will need to have a different source of power in the future but I don't see the alternative power source being battery driven.
Old 16th November 2020, 15:54   #9
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmk View Post
My brother in law is actively looking at leasing an electric Renault, not sure of the model. He claims the lease cost will be less than his spend on petrol. The government will not stand idly by and let motorists get cheaper motoring. Something will be afoot for sure in the corridors of power to smack us all down again when the timing is right!
Just wait until 2040 when they discover that the massive EMF's created inside electric cars have induced millions of motorists with electrohypersensitivity.
When you say lease, do you mean lease the car or lease the battery? Not sure if Renault are still doing the latter, but if that's the case then it's an option to avoid. That arrangement meant that the car owners were tied into a contract which required them to get subsequent owners to sign up for the battery lease, making it difficult to sell on and potentially leaving the car owner with an ongoing monthly lease even if they were no longer using the car. In the event of a write-off, they would have to pay Renault to dispose of the battery. Probably worth advising him to double-check this before signing anything.

As a couple of people have mentioned above, it's to be expected that if the revenue from petrol & diesel is no longer available, the coffers will have to be filled some other way. Some model of road pricing is likely in the medium term. Whether that cost to motorists will be offset by the fuel savings of running an EV remains to be seen - as a rule of thumb, the running costs for an EV should be less than 20% of those for an ICE, so there's at least there's some wiggle room.
A Nigerian mother of three
andymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2020, 16:06   #10
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
Am I correct in thinking that (at the moment) you can only have an electric car charging point fitted if you have your own off road parking, ie garage or driveway. I suspect that 50/60% of car owners have no option but to park on roadside or in communal car parks, has anyone even given this a thought?
No, nobody's thought of that at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
Add to that that they (electric vehicles) are useless for anything more than a short commute to work or popping to the shops and I fail to see how they can replace petrol/diesel powered vehicles for longer journeys or freight carrying.
Without doubt cars/vans/trucks will need to have a different source of power in the future but I don't see the alternative power source being battery driven.
The new MG 5 estate is good for 200 motorway miles between charges, more in mixed driving. There are several other examples of EVs with similar or greater range - premium level saloons like the Polestar 2 or the Tesla Model 3, mid-size hatchbacks and crossovers like the VW ID3, Skoda Enyaq or the most recent Nissan Leaf, superminis like the Peugeot 208e, Vauxhall Corsa E or Renault Zoe and so on. All of these are capable of more than a short commute.
A Nigerian mother of three

Last edited by andymc; 16th November 2020 at 16:16..
andymc is offline   Reply With Quote