Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th December 2020, 17:50   #11
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
Where do many go for parts that are unobtainable or scarily expensive? Breakers, so they in fact are no more than second/third/fourth hand used parts.

The only thing stopping me from buying one or two cars for future reference is space and privacy to keep them under cover. Now, if I was a farmer...

I always thought that OEM meant Original Equipment Manufacture? Specifically not New Stock - this and all else was 'Pattern'.

26 days
Indeed Ray, I will always try to source OEM parts when I can, for instance oil filters from Mann + Hummel and either TRW or ATE for brakes, and always Gates Powergrip and Power Vee for timing belts and auxiliary belts.

If there are any makers marks from parts removed, then I try and obtain aftermarket parts from the same maker if possible.

What is sad really sad, are parts being parcelled up in boxes marked MGRover, or worse again SLP (Service Line Part, which reads as pattern) then sold on at exceptionally high prices.

We can take this Genuine MGR oil filter for the diesel as an example, pictured below along with the link.

LRF100150A

So I wonder what makes this filter cost £21 including VAT, but not carriage?

To be fair to Rimmer Bros, they offer a SLP alternative for £10.44 inc VAT, these are manufactured by WIX in Poland, a quality aftermarket filter.

LRF100150ASLP

Or even this pattern part at £5.70, which I would not be prepared to fit to any car I owned, or anybody else for that matter.

LINK

So none of these prices include carriage, which in the case of Rimmer Bros tends to be on the high side, this normally reflects the quality of packaging and choice of carrier I've found.

After all of this, shall we have the Genuine MGR offering for £21, the Genuine MGR SLP for £10.44, or the cheap and cheerful pattern filter for £5.70?

I can confirm the £21 filter to be the one supplied to MGR when they were in business, and what would have been fitted during production, or when serviced at a main dealer, so arguably the most genuine of the genuine parts, so is that the filter to buy?

Well the answer is yes and indeed yes, but do you want it in a plastic bag along with an MGR hologram sticker as it would arrive from Rimmer Bros, or would you want to buy this instead?

OIL FILTER

So how much mark up do we believe there to be in the £21 "Genuine MGR" filter, as opposed to the £5 delivered eBay filter?, and given the choices above which filter would you choose when you were planning to service your car?

If it helps any, I bought two filters from the eBay link to service my car, and that of my dad last week

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2020, 16:06   #12
biffa75
Trader

Mk1 2004 tourer cdti + MK1 2003 Saloon CDT

Thanks for the replies folks, it's much appreciated. I don't really have the means for a second or spare 75 at the moment, maybe in the future at some point.
Having thought about it, I do wonder if the 75 may see good parts supply, considering parts for triumphs and the like are still available (albeit perhaps not original and aftermarket but still).. with the 75 being the big last family saloon built by rover in Britain may help a little.

Thanks
Rob
biffa75 is offline   Reply With Quote