Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th December 2020, 07:40   #21
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I think they got back about 8-10 bhp, may not sound much but it is the difference between a car having what is claimed and not having what is claimed. Also I understand that a vehicle loses bhp over time through wear and tear of components. This would lead me to believe that a brand new engine with a remap will have the new claimed bhp but an old engine that has already lost bhp due to wear and tear, cannot get to that new engine remapped bhp. Is this the crux of the "dispute", worn engine with reduced bHP and not a new engine with all it's bhp?

I have a 160 remap, my car is insured as if it has 160 BHP, if it has 140 BHP I am not sure I am bothered as the car goes well enough for my driving style and pulls the caravan along so much better which was the reason for a remap.... mind you a CDT needs something to help it along

macafee2
I am only disputing the number. It is better than stock. If the majority of cars can't achieve it, it shouldn't be advertised as it is. I wonder what the quoted torque is of the 160 map though? Torque is what you really feel.

My 5 series is remapped, dynod and the next limiting factor is the gearbox map, it pulls the fuelling back when you hit 550nm of torque, I wondered why it appeared to hit a wall at 550nm and found out the gearbox needs an xHP map to remove the limit.
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2020, 08:53   #22
kitt
Avid contributor

BMW F30 Had a MG ZT

Ok let’s be clear here, is a remap worth it, YES it is

Are there different remaps out there, yes there is, are they all called a 160 remap, well most yes.

So I had my car already come with a remap and yes it was faster than stock, I had already got one of Arctic’s magic EGR bypass’s. Then I had one of Jamie’s remaps (Not called the 160) and with the new map the car was even faster. I then added a manual boost control and run another 5psi on the turbo, this now kicks ass and pulls from the bottom to the top of the rev range.

Jamie compared my original map with the general “160 map” and it was identical, so I had been running that map which was a good map and felt quick, but jamie’s map had something extra and you could feel it straight out the box it just made the car more responsive and quicker.

If you ask anyone from the Midlands Nano meets that’s had a Jamie remap they will all say the same as myself, well worth getting it done, but yes you will also need to have a car that’s well maintained for example if the EGR or Manifold are full of muck and the intercooler “O” rings are gone no amount of remapping will give you more power.

Downside to remapping – NONE….
kitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2020, 10:37   #23
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiewelch View Post
I wonder what the quoted torque is of the 160 map though? Torque is what you really feel.

Increasing the maximum bhp is only going to be felt with a screaming engine and that's not what diesels are all about.

Simon
Old 7th December 2020, 10:42   #24
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post

Increasing the maximum bhp is only going to be felt with a screaming engine and that's not what diesels are all about.

Simon
On a CDT it is also very noticeable when pulling a heavy weight such as a caravan. On a CDTI, still noticeable but not as much

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2020, 11:01   #25
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

Quote:
I am only disputing the number. It is better than stock. If the majority of cars can't achieve it, it shouldn't be advertised as it is. I wonder what the quoted torque is of the 160 map though? Torque is what you really feel.
Still plugging you own stuff and knocking others Jamie some things never change

Which particular 160 map are you talking about? If you really knew, you'd know there's more than one 160 tune

As I've said before there can be huge differences between identical cars with similar mileages and service history.

This can be down to a lot of things, how the car has been driven and even which grade of engine was fitted at the factory! That can have the biggest impact as all engines are dyno'd on assembly as you should know

We've never "advertised" the map at all and we never claim it will provide 160 what we have shown is that it will improve performance and driveability and that it has produced those figures on owners cars when they have had them independently tested

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.

Last edited by BigRuss; 7th December 2020 at 13:28..
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2020, 11:26   #26
Alf Best
Avid contributor

MG-ZTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitt View Post
Ok let’s be clear here, is a remap worth it, YES it is

Are there different remaps out there, yes there is, are they all called a 160 remap, well most yes.

So I had my car already come with a remap and yes it was faster than stock, I had already got one of Arctic’s magic EGR bypass’s. Then I had one of Jamie’s remaps (Not called the 160) and with the new map the car was even faster. I then added a manual boost control and run another 5psi on the turbo, this now kicks ass and pulls from the bottom to the top of the rev range.

Jamie compared my original map with the general “160 map” and it was identical, so I had been running that map which was a good map and felt quick, but jamie’s map had something extra and you could feel it straight out the box it just made the car more responsive and quicker.

If you ask anyone from the Midlands Nano meets that’s had a Jamie remap they will all say the same as myself, well worth getting it done, but yes you will also need to have a car that’s well maintained for example if the EGR or Manifold are full of muck and the intercooler “O” rings are gone no amount of remapping will give you more power.

Downside to remapping – NONE….

Interesting post Jon, I wonder how, or indeed why Jamie could have compared what was programmed originally to your car to a "general 160" map.

I was of the understanding that any programmed information in the car's ecu was pertinent to the car it was from, so how can a comparison be made or am I missing something?

I would suggest given the private message I received from Jamie last evening which pointed towards a petty dispute with another trader on this forum, which included references to a third party, whom you have plugged here previously (the person from Leominster who fitted your car with the manual boost controller just in case you are wondering), so all in all nothing has been said here that would not point towards an "old pals" network at play, with a concerted attempt at discrediting other peoples products in order that your own take precedence.

This is just as it appears from outside the frame by someone making an observation that every time one type of remap is mentioned, Jamie pops up and immediately starts talking it down, surely if his own remaps are so much better then that should not be necessary.

I don't know you, Jamie, or indeed anyone else from this forum as I've yet to attend a meet, for all I know he could be a nice young bloke, however given the way he conducts himself here, if I felt I was in need of more power from my car, he would be the very last person I would approach.

On the latter point, I would wholeheartedly agree with you, my own ZT-T was transformed following the cleaning out of the EGR, and inlet manifold along with the intercooler o rings and new hoses I fitted on recommendation after I had a running issue diagnosed locally.

Finally "Rogue" made a very salient point earlier in this thread for which I thanked him, where he pointed out his employer takes a dim view of downselling a competitor in order to gain a sale.

In the past when I employed salesmen, if I discovered they were employing those type of practices, they were immediately hauled into the office and given a dressing down and warned that any repeat of this type of behaviour would result in immediate dismissal.

That is why I feel so strongly about the selling practices being employed by Jamie, they reflect badly upon him, and by association the services he is providing irrespective of how good they may be.

Alf
Alf Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2020, 11:42   #27
Alf Best
Avid contributor

MG-ZTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRuss View Post
Still plugging you own stuff and knocking others Jamie some things never change

Which particular 160 map are you talking about? If you really knew, you'd know there's more than one 160 tune

As I've said before there can be huge differences between identical cars with similar images and service history.
This can be down to a lot of things, how the car has been driven and even which grade of engine was fitted at the factory! That can have the biggest impact as all engines are dyno'd on assembly as you should know

We've never "advertised" the map at all and we never claim it will provide 160 what we have shown is that it will improve performance and driveability and that it has produced those figures on owners cars when they have had them independently tested

Russ

Thanks for that clarification Russ, I see I'm not the only person to notice sharp selling practice going on here.

If I read this right, then my own car which is a 135 could be tested on a dynamometer and produce the figures that were claimed by MG Rover, and another seemingly identical car produce less even when new?

It is also interesting to see that people who have had their car upgraded by you, and then have gone on to have them tested independently and they have produced the figured as stated, yet the tone of the previous posters in this thread would suggest this is not the case?

I've no foot in either camp here, but given the balance of probabilities I know whom I'd be inclined to believe.

Alf
Old 7th December 2020, 12:02   #28
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf Best View Post

If I read this right, then my own car which is a 135 could be tested on a dynamometer and produce the figures that were claimed by MG Rover, and another seemingly identical car produce less even when new?

It is also interesting to see that people who have had their car upgraded by you, and then have gone on to have them tested independently and they have produced the figured as stated, yet the tone of the previous posters in this thread would suggest this is not the case?

Alf

Yes Alf that's correct there were two main grades of engine fitted from what has been told by an ex-mgr employee.
Red and Blue were the two designations don't ask me which way round they were but it's on here somewhere
The better output ones were supposed to be fitted to the better spec cars but in the later years they used anything they had

Due to Photobucket's greed many of the photo's disappeared showing the results and many of those that posted them have moved on so we can't ask them to resubmit them. But some of the results are available if you search thoroughly enough, can take a bit of time though.

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.

Last edited by BigRuss; 7th December 2020 at 13:37..
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2020, 13:39   #29
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf Best View Post
Interesting post Jon, I wonder how, or indeed why Jamie could have compared what was programmed originally to your car to a "general 160" map.

I was of the understanding that any programmed information in the car's ecu was pertinent to the car it was from, so how can a comparison be made or am I missing something?

I would suggest given the private message I received from Jamie last evening which pointed towards a petty dispute with another trader on this forum, which included references to a third party, whom you have plugged here previously (the person from Leominster who fitted your car with the manual boost controller just in case you are wondering), so all in all nothing has been said here that would not point towards an "old pals" network at play, with a concerted attempt at discrediting other peoples products in order that your own take precedence.

This is just as it appears from outside the frame by someone making an observation that every time one type of remap is mentioned, Jamie pops up and immediately starts talking it down, surely if his own remaps are so much better then that should not be necessary.

I don't know you, Jamie, or indeed anyone else from this forum as I've yet to attend a meet, for all I know he could be a nice young bloke, however given the way he conducts himself here, if I felt I was in need of more power from my car, he would be the very last person I would approach.

On the latter point, I would wholeheartedly agree with you, my own ZT-T was transformed following the cleaning out of the EGR, and inlet manifold along with the intercooler o rings and new hoses I fitted on recommendation after I had a running issue diagnosed locally.

Finally "Rogue" made a very salient point earlier in this thread for which I thanked him, where he pointed out his employer takes a dim view of downselling a competitor in order to gain a sale.

In the past when I employed salesmen, if I discovered they were employing those type of practices, they were immediately hauled into the office and given a dressing down and warned that any repeat of this type of behaviour would result in immediate dismissal.

That is why I feel so strongly about the selling practices being employed by Jamie, they reflect badly upon him, and by association the services he is providing irrespective of how good they may be.

Alf
The map section can be lifted from the ECU and compared within software, there is no encryption or anything like that possible. You can dump any EDC15C4 fitted to the 75 and read and compare the map.

People need to be given the option. And BigRuss, there are different maps, but of all the ones I have looked at they all seem to contain the same numbers... What torque figure should be expected from a typical map? I get there will be some lower and some higher, but the typical car, what sort of numbers should we expect?
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2020, 14:05   #30
Alf Best
Avid contributor

MG-ZTT

Quote:
The map section can be lifted from the ECU and compared within software, there is no encryption or anything like that possible. You can dump any EDC15C4 fitted to the 75 and read and compare the map.

People need to be given the option. And BigRuss, there are different maps, but of all the ones I have looked at they all seem to contain the same numbers... What torque figure should be expected from a typical map? I get there will be some lower and some higher, but the typical car, what sort of numbers should we expect?

So say my figures as my car is completely standard are 129BHP and 300Nm of torque, how does that compare to what you are offering Jamie?

What figures would a custom remap achieve, and at what cost?

I would be also interested in what Russ has to say too

It is all hypothetical in my case of course, but interesting nonetheless to hear it from the technical bods.

Alf