Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 8th December 2020, 18:58   #31
myfirstrover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 cdi

My first Rover was a 600 diesel , great car , good engine , but age caught up with it and a lot of things started to wear out , wish I'd made more of an effort to keep it , still have a soft spot for 600s , my first 75 was a diesel that I bought near Edinburgh , BRG with starspokes , then a 1.8 auto in Cimarron green , non runner with a very wet interior , had to strip out the interior to dry it out , replaced the HG , good car but not much performance ! , then a Firefrost red auto diesel , another good car but one worn out suspension bush and bottom arm too many , final straw was the aux belt snapping and having to undo the engine mounts and jack up the engine to renew the belt , sadly I'm just getting too old to wrestle around under cars nowadays . Both diesels had a 160 remap from marinabrian and they transformed the cars .
myfirstrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2020, 19:29   #32
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

I’ve been buying a range of BL cars since 1982. Too many to list but the first was an Austin 1100 for just £35. Held together with P38.
In 2011 I bought an MG ZS and whilst reliable I found the MK2 version somewhat lacking in quality and quite a hard ride. Fancied something a bit bigger, more comfortable and better quality.
Saw an ad for a 1.8T club SE and snapped it up. Great car and only £500.
I’ve wondered why it took me so long to get one and have had 6 in total. No more now as they are too old and too rusty. I realise there are plenty of good ones in great condition but right now I need a modern daily drive with no big or continuous projects.
Old 8th December 2020, 20:10   #33
BoroRover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

My first two BL and Rover cars, an Austin 1100, showroom to scrapyard in 5 years, and an SD1 that was a total shed that was forever costing me a lot of money would be enough to put anyone off ever wanting anything to do with the marque again.
But I wanted an 800, and bought two, both Sterlings, the last one an 827 coupe. The latter being a totally brilliant car.
I went to see the 75 on its launch and had a test drive and a bacon buttie courtesy of Rover.
I was captivated by the style, looks, and comfort of the 75, and vowed to own one.
This I did in 2015 with a 1.8 non turbo which I did 44k in 4 years and thought it the " bees knees".
Then 2 years ago I got the chance of a CDTI in Copperleaf, I snapped his hand off. What a superb car. I totally love 75's.
BoroRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2020, 03:51   #34
biffa75
Trader

Mk1 2004 tourer cdti + MK1 2003 Saloon CDT

Lightbulb

My first rover ownership was quite by accident.

But of history tho, I remember my dad's first rover. An S plate 820 si three years old, in British racing green with green carpet and cream velour with green piping. Really was nice.. sadly written off not long after its first mot. S474kkp.

He had a couple of others afterwards a 414 another 800. 414 cooked it's head gasket gasket and was never quite right afterwards. The 800 hadn't been well kept. So didn't stay long either. (My dad never fixed cars either so when something minor went wrong the entire got replaced)..

When I was a kid, my dad was an engineer and was actually part of the engineering team that fitted the conveyor system at the Cowley plant in the mid 90s. He had to sign the secrets act due what was going on and where he was working.. of course he signed it, but when he finally returned home weeks later.. he drew pictures 😂 which later transpired to be the 75 and the facelift parts we believe for the 25 and 45.

My first rover ownership came from me and the wife expecting our first child and the car at the time we found out we were expecting was a 306 cabriolet and thought it best to get something with four doors. Having seen a few cars locally, my brother, half joking said here's a 75.. anyway, we went to look after the 306 cabriolet had received its final bodging of the coolant system and off we went armed with cash and the v5 to the cabriolet.. had a look round the 75 and we'll... We came home.with it, leaving the young lad at the dealership we bought the rover from, frothing at the mouth over the cabriolet I'd just given him for the rover.
Y plate 2.0 V6 in copper leaf with black leather connoiseur spec for £750 with £300 for the 306 cabriolet in px. Result.

Great car, did a few jobs on it, but due to rising fuel prices and being under 25 and my a little younger and expecting our first the running costs at the time were a little much for us.. unfortunately it went to my parents and later.. got scrapped as my dad lost the key and we'll... Now I wish I'd taken it off them and used it for spares and the pre project drive bits weren't saved either!

Rob
biffa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2020, 09:33   #35
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

My first Rover? A mate of a mate was selling a P6 with a worn out clutch for £50. Bought it and drove it straight round to my Uncle's haulage yard, put it over the lorry pit and replaced the clutch.

Beautiful car, kept it for a couple of years and went everywhere in it. Sold it for far more than I paid for it - what's not to like?
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2020, 06:14   #36
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

I remember years ago I was walking past some parked cars when one car made me stop in my tracks and take notice. This car stood out from everything else, it was full of chrome at a time when very few cars had any chrome. This car made such an impression I had to look at it closer to see what it was. It was a Rover, I didn't know what model it was, just that it was a Rover. I now know of course it was a silver Rover 75. Gosh it was a looker. This first sighting must have been 20 years ago, but a lasting impression for sure.

I now own a silver "75" and it still gives me that same feeling when I look at it. Not quite as much chrome on mine as its a facelift model, but still there. An absolutely stunning looking car apart from the front bumper which looks a little squint eyed when you look at it straight on, and the huge gap between the bonnet and bumper is a joke, but I guess it adds to the character.

My dad always had BL cars, right from an Austin 1100, through Maxi's, Maestro's etc, until he went "posh" and moved onto the Rover 216.

My only Rover before the 75 was a new Rover metro diesel which I bought when I first became a driving instructor. Which unfortunately wasn't very good.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2020, 14:07   #37
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Late last year I started saving for a motorbike. Had a Jap cruiser or Harley in mind. Bought Bike Trader religiously and could think of nothing else. Then along comes an old mate I haven't seen in a while In a Royal Blue Rover 75 connie. Cant say I'd really noticed them before but after a few more visits, I just fell for the shape of the car, the curves the crome and the impressive spec that goes with it for the price.
Suffice to say the motorbike went out of the window, sold my car and bought the beautiful Contemporary SE I have today. Well four days
I was on my way to the local Citroen dealership to check out the new ZX range, I quite like these cars they were excellent to drive but on the way there I decided to stop at the local Rover dealership to check out the 200 series that I kept seeing on the TV ( circa 1989) this being the golden years of the Rover marque revival with Honda help, well I was quite impressed by looks of the cars on show, and I took a good look inside a 214Si, took it for a test drive and that as the say was that, I went on to have a 216SLi, 420GSi Sport, 618Si, and for the last 16 years a 75 Club Diesel Tourer, need I say any more.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote