Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th December 2020, 12:26   #11
Zircon
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon Club SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Well this seems to be limited to what I wonder?

Apparently this new strain of the virus was identified in September, yet the decision to invent another level of panic was left until yesterday???

To say I was less than impressed to hear this news is an understatement, listening to the radio in the car the cringe fest that was the news announcement with the PM, and the glib statement from Chris Whitty about unpacking your bags had me in full on Tourettes mode

My daughter who was due to travel home on the train this evening, her household has been self isolating for the past two weeks following two negative swab tests to allow her and her housemate to travel home, their Christmas would appear bleak.

It was heartwrenching, this is of course repeated many million of times over across the country, and I wonder just how many people will actually adhere to the new restrictions imposed upon them, irrespective of the consequences?

Blooming marvellous really

Brian
I do so agree with you, Brian and really sorry for you and your family. Had the Government not been afraid of being Scrooge back in November, I think people would have been more accepting of postponing Christmas till Easter when the vaccine may have had a chance to protect so many. I wouldn't be surprised if lots of people will say they have now made their Christmas plans and are going to keep to them. All terribly upsetting for so many! Cruel in many ways.

In Guildford we have had 24 hours in tier 3 (already nostalgic for that heady freedom!) and gone straight into tier 4.
On Friday, I had my only chance legally to see my son in many months - he has just moved from London to Worthing and we had 40 minutes socially distanced on the seafront together. I was incredibly lucky and thankful for that spontaneous opportunity.

The longest drive in the 75 all year - I think it thanked me for the exercise 😊

Take care, everyone and hang on in for the vaccine!

Nicholas/Zircon
Zircon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2020, 14:09   #12
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Our Christmas was effectively cancelled we we went into Tier 3 a few days ago. We had just paid the balance for our Christmas day dinner at a local carvery, safe in the knowledge that it was going ahead under the Tier 2 rules that applied at the time of payment.

When I heard that Boris was giving another press conference, I presumed it was so he could make a personal apology to me & Mrs Teflon, but no. It seems he remembered just in time that he had left us with access to a gym, so he created a whole new tier just to shut it down . You might think I'm being a little paranoid about this, but he has form: only last month he deliberately put one of our neighbouring boroughs into Tier 3 just to stop be playing guitar at our local Shadows Club.

Yes, I know I'm being flippant, but if I don't make light of it what else is there to do .

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2020, 15:11   #13
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
................. only last month he deliberately put one of our neighbouring boroughs into Tier 3 just to stop be playing guitar at our local Shadows Club.

Yes, I know I'm being flippant, but if I don't make light of it what else is there to do .

Cliff
Well if you didn't make light of there'd be no shadow at all !
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2020, 17:32   #14
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

We were hoping to see the Children and there partners over Christmas but as we are now limited to just Christmas day and one of the boys is working Christmas day it is is unlikely to happen , we wont be seeing my 89 year old mother as we dont think it is fare on her in case one of us is a carrier. The wifes Daughter is in tier 4 and has had her plans ruined, she was just on the phone saying they had made new plans and might just go for a picnic in the park on Christmas day.

We have to remember most of us will have many more Christmases, we will have food, drink and hopefully our health. 75 years ago our parents and/or grand parents were fighting a war and had no idea if they were going to be bombed out of there beds and most people lived for 5 years on what we would consider starvation rations.

We should be grateful for what we have and not for what we dont have. There are over 60k people in this country who wont be seeing this Christmas that probably had not heard of Covid this time last year.

Boris and his sidekicks have made many mistakes but if you look at the rest of the world I have yet too see any other world leaders who are making a better job, New Zealand keeps being advertised and being a shining example but with a population 10% of the UK and 10% more space than we have it is easy to see how. Look at countries like Belgium, Italy, Spain and South America. Belgium had 50% more deaths than the next highest and I have yet to see an article about that on the BBC.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2020, 18:24   #15
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
Well if you didn't make light of there'd be no shadow at all !
Aha !!! Another sneaky pun.-------I love 'em.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2020, 18:33   #16
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

SCP440---Quote:--We have to remember most of us will have many more Christmases, we will have food, drink and hopefully our health. 75 years ago our parents and/or grand parents were fighting a war and had no idea if they were going to be bombed out of their beds and most people lived for 5 years on what we would consider starvation rations.

Born in 1937 I lived through that lot near London. Had two near misses.
First a bomb 200 yards away and a doodle bug at a quarter of a mile.-------Spent a lot of my early years in a concrete air raid shelter in the road.

I remember that the resident rats were quite tasty though.--Lol.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2020, 21:59   #17
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

No change for us ,we will still have my mother for Xmas day as she is in our bubble.
Old 21st December 2020, 08:49   #18
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
No change for us ,we will still have my mother for Xmas day as she is in our bubble.
That'll be good for her and for you.

Have a good one enjoying your time together. .

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2020, 09:37   #19
gnu
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Tier 3 here, and with the new regs, plans cut back. Won’t be travelling to visit family, but kids back at home now, so not too bad.
Old 21st December 2020, 12:27   #20
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

My uncle and aunt, both in their late 70s, tested positive a few days ago. Their daughter has a learning disability and while she lives semi-independently, she spends every single weekend with them. She will now be on her own for Christmas and until they recover (hopefully they will).

In case there's still anyone who needs to hear this - while this is still going on, please wear your masks properly to cover both your nose and your mouth, wash your hands thoroughly and keep your distance from everyone unless it's absolutely necessary.
A Nigerian mother of three
andymc is offline   Reply With Quote