Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th April 2021, 08:55   #11
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

We have had a number of automated scam calls and the odd one where there is a real person on the end of the line.

The automated ones get listed on my phone as 2 22 - not the full number. They all have the same code but the number varies. We block them but of course they can get through again by simply changing a digit.

The Automated calls are badly done - American accents referring to HMRC, arrest warrants, Court House and on a couple of occasions “the Sheriff” was apparently on his way.

The last real person was an Indian lady telling me my internet was about to be cut off.

I said:-

“Great! - do it. I’m fed up with my supplier and want to take them to court so if you illegally remove a paid for service that is not being properly provided I can claim more compensation!”

She hung up.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2021, 09:11   #12
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsafly View Post
Had three calls on my mobile phone today, all stating my national insurance number had been compromised and legal action would be brought against me immediately unless I pressed 1 to resolve the issue!
All three calls were automated, one was very insistant that I press 1, repeated until I hung up ("press 1 now", seven times in a row!). The automated recording wasn't of good quality which was a bit of a giveaway.
All three numbers started 07884, one was 461336, another 461357 and the last one I deleted without noting the number, but it was similar.
Although I had no doubts a quick check on line proved them to be known scam calls, just thought I would post a heads-up to warn others about it incase they or anyone they know is targeted.
By coincidence - after just posting above - I had a scam call about supposed NIC fraud and saying that my “National Insurance number is about to be suspended”.

Number was 07584 323935 - call was at 10:06

Logged, blocked and reported.
Old 13th April 2021, 09:11   #13
solarsailor
Posted a thing or two

75 Saloon 1.8T Club SE

I had a very common one yesterday, an automated call stating that £79.99 had been taken from my account to renew Amazon Prime membership and to press 1 if I wished to cancel. If I hadn't been busy I would have pressed 1 and done a bit of scam baiting to waste their time for however long I could keep them talking.

This vehicle was born on Wednesday June 4th 2003 @ 08:24:38
This vehicle was the 73,905th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 1,862nd 75 1.8 T Club SE to be made out of 3,980
This vehicle was the 6,856th 75 in Wedgewood Blue to be made out of 7,515 Wedgewood Blue 75s
solarsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2021, 10:17   #14
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Yes the Amazon one is very common, I had it a few weeks ago early on a Saturday morning, they were going to charge me $59, yes Dollars so I told her I dont live in the US and she then said no Canadian!!! I said I live in the UK and she hung up. It was a mobile number.

Its not so common now but I used to waist the time of the ones trying to sell home insulation, I live in a Cottage with solid stone walls and when they would come round after many phone calls to quote for cavity wall insulation the sales person would get cross realising I was wasting there time. One had driven over 3 hours to get to me. They never rung again.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2021, 10:35   #15
YHT
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

I friend down the the road offers "Let me tell you about Jesus" which hasnt so far had any takers. He also tells them to wait for a bit as he hasnt got any clothes on which leads to the call ending quickly. Keep well.
YHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2021, 14:18   #16
wullie480
This is my second home

Thanked 1,022 Times in 786 Posts

Had several of these over the past few weeks and have my bag packed awaiting my imminent arrest as I didn’t press option 1. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15th April 2021, 08:52   #17
Darcydog
This is my second home

Had one just now from an Indian Call Centre where I could hear people talking in the background and the “caller” doing stuff at a desk - but the caller seemed unaware I had picked up.

Shame - I am twiddling my thumbs a bit this morning as I have a dentist Appt later and it would have been good fun to string one of these bar stewards along to waste as much of their time as possible.
Old 15th December 2021, 18:28   #18
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Kept a chap from 'microsoft' on the land line for half an hour today and let him think he had almost got control of my computer. I was enjoying a tea break when he phoned, so I strung him along.

Towards the end I got Mrs Noc to ring my mobile and then I had a pretend conversation with my son who I told him was the computer brains of the family. We then had a sort of 3 way conversation with me relaying everything between him and my son, and then the comments back the other way warning me this chap was a scammer. This went on for ages and it was all I could do not to laugh as the scammer really thought he had won me over, only to fall at the last fence.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2021, 20:06   #19
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

If you happen to have a Google Pixel phone then when call comes in as well as the usual 'Accept' and 'Decline' you also have a 'Screen' option. If you hit this then the Google Assistant answers the call and talks to the other person. Most scam calls immediately drop but if the person does talk back what they're saying is transcribed on your screen in real time and you then have the option to take it or not.

It's really effective and dealing with scam and sales calls
Old 15th December 2021, 20:13   #20
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Just about all the calls we receive on the land line are scams, so unless it is a number we recognise we usually let them go to answerphone. Unless I'm bored and in need of a bit of entertainment.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote