Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th April 2021, 07:42   #111
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

They're also proposing a upheaval in car insurance & road user charging too.

"Baroness Brown responded: ‘[Road user charging] is something we were keen on back in the King Review (2007). We were very keen to propose replacing taxes associated with driving with a time, distance, place, emissions, occupancy [charge] – whatever you like now because we can so easily monitor these things. It could be an enormously fair way to treat people. ‘It seems to me that you can have a system that takes emissions into account and that would be fairer to everyone. We are now seeing the insurance companies looking at having this system for charging you based on how and where and when you drive. So this kind of monitoring is coming. At the time of the King review, people were shocked by the idea of the intrusion in privacy, but I think we have moved an awful long way to thinking some of these ideas might be acceptable."

https://www.transport-network.co.uk/...own-says/17257

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2021, 08:01   #112
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
They're also proposing a upheaval in car insurance & road user charging too.

"Baroness Brown responded: ‘[Road user charging] is something we were keen on back in the King Review (2007). We were very keen to propose replacing taxes associated with driving with a time, distance, place, emissions, occupancy [charge] – whatever you like now because we can so easily monitor these things. It could be an enormously fair way to treat people. ‘It seems to me that you can have a system that takes emissions into account and that would be fairer to everyone. We are now seeing the insurance companies looking at having this system for charging you based on how and where and when you drive. So this kind of monitoring is coming. At the time of the King review, people were shocked by the idea of the intrusion in privacy, but I think we have moved an awful long way to thinking some of these ideas might be acceptable."

https://www.transport-network.co.uk/...own-says/17257

Unfortunately that's because the general public are I'm afraid, collectively rather dim witted. As the charges go up and the poor become more and more restricted in their ability to afford to travel some will realise what's happening to their freedom of movement.

Restrictions to freedom enforced by gov't charging are never acceptable.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2021, 08:03   #113
Lear
Regular poster

MGZT-T

Mike
I agree with your summation but there must be a way around this ban on LPG conversions. Maybe a fee plus a huge fine for not adhering to LPG use only. It is far more green for me to convert my car to LPG than buy a new car that has created huge pollution just in manufacturing it. Politicians must be trained to think outside the box but this I fear would be an impossible task. Clubs like this one must lobby decision makers to allow LPG. I suspect many owners of classic marques would go down this route to keep their cars as daily drivers.
A petition may work.
Alfa Romeo S2 Spider (because I always fancied Mrs Robinson)
Lancia Fulvia Sport Zagato 1.3S (very rare but a bit of a poser)
VW Split screen camper (to feed my ageless hippy syndrome)
2000 Citroen Berlingo (no family should be without one)
TR4a for 43 years (just sold, ran out of space)
Lear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2021, 08:28   #114
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

were well and truly in the path of big brother!
In china, there are so many surveillance cameras there that the govt can identify a person walking using facial recognition with 7 minutes and can track who you associate with.
Govts all over the place are trying to grapple with losing traditional methods of taxing road users ie road taxes via fuel levies etc as this non fossil fuel future has thrown them a curve ball.
Firstly they will gradually increase diesel tax and eventually make it not worth keeping a diesel car, then it will be anyone with a regular petrol driven car.
We will be subtlety guided to their view of the world, much as the banks are doing here, shutting branches and getting rid of auto teller machines in the name of “stream lining online services” when they are actually discarding seniors
and others who dont even have a mobile or a computer and rely on people at branches. Why - it saves them employing people and thus millions of dollars!!
Dont worry, there is alot more coming yet.
Alot of younsters over here now dont even own cars or have a licence anymore, they just uber from place to place as its cheaper than owning a car.
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2021, 09:31   #115
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lear View Post
Mike
I agree with your summation but there must be a way around this ban on LPG conversions. Maybe a fee plus a huge fine for not adhering to LPG use only. It is far more green for me to convert my car to LPG than buy a new car that has created huge pollution just in manufacturing it. Politicians must be trained to think outside the box but this I fear would be an impossible task. Clubs like this one must lobby decision makers to allow LPG. I suspect many owners of classic marques would go down this route to keep their cars as daily drivers.
A petition may work.
MGR did offer a factory fit LPG version but, probably due to lack of demand,
stopped production after about 12 months or so. If govt. had offered better VED rates for LPG then they did it might have had more success!

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2021, 10:21   #116
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
In china, there are so many surveillance cameras there that the govt can identify a person walking using facial recognition with 7 minutes and can track who you associate with.
Govts all over the place are trying to grapple with losing traditional methods of taxing road users ie road taxes via fuel levies etc as this non fossil fuel future has thrown them a curve ball.
Firstly they will gradually increase diesel tax and eventually make it not worth keeping a diesel car, then it will be anyone with a regular petrol driven car.
We will be subtlety guided to their view of the world, much as the banks are doing here, shutting branches and getting rid of auto teller machines in the name of “stream lining online services” when they are actually discarding seniors
and others who dont even have a mobile or a computer and rely on people at branches. Why - it saves them employing people and thus millions of dollars!!
Alot of younsters over here now dont even own cars or have a licence anymore, they just uber from place to place as its cheaper than owning a car.

You're not far wrong, In 2030 they'll be banning ICE vehicles with a paltry 80g/km, my Rover 2.5 V6 has emissions of 268g/km I can see them raising the price of petrol/diesel to dissuade ICE vehicle usage & raise grants higher for zero emission vehicles
You can just see what's coming with this insurance malarkey!......So you want to travel into town in a 2 ton car single occupancy between the hours of 7am & 7pm! Ooooo that's going to cost you mate

As for banks I've just been through that scenario, My local bricks & mortar bank has closed for online services & I needed to download their banking app, Nope my older mobile phone is not compatible with their banking app & I need to upgrade to a newer phone with newer OS, I bought a new mobile phone with the relevant OS & my perfectly good phone is now rendered useless as I have no need for two phones

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2021, 11:27   #117
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
We have had the most camera2population installations in the UK then even China
Quote:
I've always thought petrol the diesel here in the UK. As they tax petrol more in VED bands than diesels. My work colleague has an Audi 1.8 (VAG) and pays £30 (thirty sterling) every year since getting the car in 2012 (late 2010 car - 60 plate). My VED on a petrol has risen from £160 to well over £250 over the same period.
Quote:
We will be subtlety guided to their view of the world, much as the banks are doing here, shutting branches and getting rid of auto teller machines in the name of “stream lining online services” when they are actually discarding seniors and others who dont even have a mobile or a computer and rely on people at branches. Why - it saves them employing people and thus millions of dollars!!
Wow, and I thought it was only UK banks being over zealous in this. They say an electronic transaction costs them 20p per transaction. What they don't tell their clients is the number of times their IT systems are hacked and money is stolen. At the moment they pay it back (if enough pressure is brought to bear). Might change if the hacked amount is no longer able to be paid back due to the number of victims claiming!
Quote:
Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2021, 12:29   #118
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

regarding fraudulent losses by banking institutions, in a previous life i had cause to be involved with law enforcement in this area.
I remember speaking with the head of a particular bank and asked the question,
regarding why they were doing “token”efforts at recovering millions of dollars in fraudulent transactions.His reply was it was in effect cheaper to write the losses off as tax write offs and consumer the pays in the end and that until those losses started to become financially worth chasing, they wouldn’t go hard at it.
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2021, 18:46   #119
Lear
Regular poster

MGZT-T

Default LPG data

[QUOTE=torque2me;2877403]MGR did offer a factory fit LPG version but, probably due to lack of demand,
stopped production after about 12 months or so. If govt. had offered better VED rates for LPG then they did it might have had more success!

If Rover offered an LPG version then they must have produced an emissions data sheet for it. Where can I get hold of that data sheet? TFL will only accept data from build not from conversion.
Alfa Romeo S2 Spider (because I always fancied Mrs Robinson)
Lancia Fulvia Sport Zagato 1.3S (very rare but a bit of a poser)
VW Split screen camper (to feed my ageless hippy syndrome)
2000 Citroen Berlingo (no family should be without one)
TR4a for 43 years (just sold, ran out of space)
Lear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2021, 19:36   #120
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default But...

I live in Wigan, we pay a portion of our Council tax to the GMPTE, (Greater Manchester passenger transport executive) who allocate funding for passenger transport each year. The reality is that each year the new buses registered end up in Manchester and, they send the half a million mile buses they have to our areas, we get the stinking wrecks they've used and they get the new ones to help clean up their air quality, I'm sick of seeing ten year old buses suddenly appear on our roads belching out particulates.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote