Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th April 2021, 09:27   #11
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Low speed activation together with grinding noises is usually a symtom of the rear brakes, possibly rust flakes from the back plates contaminating the magnetic strip on the bearing.

Easy enough to diagnose it yourself with the freeware Toaf, a cheap KKL cable and any Windows PC (use the search) it will tell you which corner is playing up. Then it's either that sensor or magnetic strip on the bearing, if you're lucky you might get away with just removing the bearing and cleaning the surface.

Good luck
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2021, 09:53   #12
david2000
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

when you press the brake do you have vibration
david2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2021, 14:59   #13
Phil MG
Regular poster

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElmerT View Post
I think that if it were a bearing, the noise would be there all the time but it disappears when the abs light comes on or the fuse is removed.
The ABS sensor is located in the rear of the hub,the bearings don't fail but the magnetic ring of the ABS does and you have to change the whole unit.
https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID001550
P.S. don't be tempted to buy cheap ones offering 2 years guarantee for £50.00 for 2.as the magnetic ring is only a push fit item on the back of the hub and comes off easy(from experience) buy original,cheaper in the long run.
But get it diagnosed on TOAF first before you buy anything.
Phil MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2021, 21:48   #14
cb750chris
Trader

Rover 75 Tourer

Vitesse is spot on, the majority of this sort of issue is caused by the rear backplates rusting.
Depending where you are, if you want to pop down to Fareham, I am sure we can give you a fairly definitive answer (and potentially a fix, dependent on what needs changing)

Regards
Chris

Replacement keys programmed / supplied / cut

Diesel 135 upgrade available

IPK virginisation and T4 matching available

Sorry, due to a big change in home circumstances, I am unable to do any large jobs at present, but can still offer evening time diagnostics.
cb750chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2021, 15:19   #15
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

A few real life photo's tell a better tale than those in manuals with shiny bits and the wording " Release bolt A,B,and C", they don't show what you can occasionally come across, or have to solve.

These are from my 2005 free gift car, apologies for the slight image distortion whilst re-sizing.

This is a rear hub showing the ABS ring, you can see the difference between the cleaned section and the rest with the accumulated metallic fragments, at about 10 o'clock you can just see the stripes of the dust on the segments, this and the same on the sensor tip can lead to odd ABS faults.

This is a new and old, can you guess which is which , front brake plate it is held by three M5 bolts.

This is where the fun starts, the original bolts are mild steel and after living for the past 16 years around 12 inches from every puddle, the head reduces from an 8mm hexagon to a 6mm button, painted white in the photo, so only two ways to remove plate 1) just maul the plate about with a pair of moles or 2) cut the heads off, next to it is a nice stainless one for comparison.

No problem drilling out and re-tapping, which can only be done with the hub off, I like challenges.

Finally, what you may come across if ever you need to change an ABS sensor, as can be seen on this front hub, the nut can be rusted ( the same as with a rear hub but it comes in from behind ) although the sensor body is plastic, rust in the hole can make removing difficult, but if the old one is faulty, no problem

This doesn't answer the problem, but gives an idea of what you can sometimes find when getting stuck into a couple of hours Saturday afternoon job.

Last edited by Ducati750cc; 27th April 2021 at 22:24..
Ducati750cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2021, 09:35   #16
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Before trying to undo the front brake plate bolts give them a good clump on the heads with a blind punch and lump hammer.
The two front bolts are in blind threaded holes so corrosion shouldn't get in but the trailing bolt hole is open so likely to seize in and then shear off the head.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2021, 20:45   #17
ElmerT

75 Connoisseur SE CDTi 2006 manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb750chris View Post
Vitesse is spot on, the majority of this sort of issue is caused by the rear backplates rusting.
Depending where you are, if you want to pop down to Fareham, I am sure we can give you a fairly definitive answer (and potentially a fix, dependent on what needs changing)Regards
Chris
Firstly an apology to everybody who has posted in the past couple of days, I didn’t realise it went to a second page.
Chris, That makes sense, I had some work done on the back brakes (discs and pads) and the problem stopped for about six weeks. I would definitely be interested in bringing it to Fareham, I’m in Crystal Palace but I know the way.

Last edited by ElmerT; 30th April 2021 at 20:46.. Reason: More detail.
ElmerT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2021, 09:53   #18
ElmerT

Quote:
Originally Posted by david2000 View Post
when you press the brake do you have vibration
No vibration, just crunchy noises at low speed which transmits through the brake pedal.
If I remove the abs fuse the braking is smooth and normal from any speed with no noise at all.

Last edited by ElmerT; 2nd May 2021 at 07:58.. Reason: More detail
Old 2nd May 2021, 09:19   #19
operamagorum
Loves to post

BMW 330i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElmerT View Post
Firstly an apology to everybody who has posted in the past couple of days, I didn’t realise it went to a second page.
Chris, That makes sense, I had some work done on the back brakes (discs and pads) and the problem stopped for about six weeks. I would definitely be interested in bringing it to Fareham, I’m in Crystal Palace but I know the way.
Cannot recommend Chris too highly. Very knowledgeable, lovely chap, has T4 and extremely keen pricing
Geoff
operamagorum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2021, 16:54   #20
ElmerT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb750chris View Post
Depending where you are, if you want to pop down to Fareham, I am sure we can give you a fairly definitive answer (and potentially a fix, dependent on what needs changing)

Regards
Chris
Hi Chris, can you please give me the details of your services in Fareham so that I can book a visit? Regards, Elmer