Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th December 2017, 18:46   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default Help, water pump replacement on a CDT

I dropped an 8mm spanner into the engine bay last night. To find it I removed the under tray and while looking around got a really stressed feeling. I think my water pump is leaking.
Has anyone changed a water pump on a diesel, how difficult is it and do I need any special tools?
The Haynes manual talks about using a jack to access the water pump bolts. How much movement is required and where do I put the jack?

The leak is at the rear of the engine, drivers side. "In line" with a pulley and a belt but a few inches in towards the engine. I cant tell what colour the liquid is. I did try to take some photos but they were no good.

The Haynes manual does not mention anything about aligning "timing marks" but does talk about removing aux belt. Can I correctly take it that "timing" is not an issue, nothing needs to be aligned

Could it be the thermostat, is this roughly in the same location?

How log does it take to change a water pump..... I'll times that by 3 for my pace

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2017, 19:47   #2
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

It is an easy job, but fiddly and time consuming the first time around.
Yes the engine mounts need to be removed and a jack under the engine used to lower and raise the engine to get to all the M6 bolts.
A flexible 1/4 extension is a must.
The thermostat, water pump and the all important 0-ring need to be replaced all at the same time-silly not to.

No need to worry about timing but the belt and tensioner need to be tackled.

Takes me about 3 hours in total but a Saturday with tea breaks will be fine.
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2017, 19:53   #3
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I dropped an 8mm spanner into the engine bay last night. To find it I removed the under tray and while looking around got a really stressed feeling. I think my water pump is leaking.
Has anyone changed a water pump on a diesel, how difficult is it and do I need any special tools?
The Haynes manual talks about using a jack to access the water pump bolts. How much movement is required and where do I put the jack?

The leak is at the rear of the engine, drivers side. "In line" with a pulley and a belt but a few inches in towards the engine. I cant tell what colour the liquid is. I did try to take some photos but they were no good.

The Haynes manual does not mention anything about aligning "timing marks" but does talk about removing aux belt. Can I correctly take it that "timing" is not an issue, nothing needs to be aligned

Could it be the thermostat, is this roughly in the same location?

How log does it take to change a water pump..... I'll times that by 3 for my pace

macafee2
Ian, it is much more likely the O ring that seals the upper coolant rail to the thermostat housing has failed.

I've changed quite a few of these....... my opinion on the failure chemical attack.

Strangely enough, the compound of the o ring was altered a couple of years ago coincidence??????

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2017, 20:19   #4
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Brian,
thank you. Is the O ring shown on this Rimmers page as item N.I?
https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID001740

macafee2
Old 4th December 2017, 20:45   #5
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Another common leak point is the thermostat housing seal. Time consuming job due to lack of access, but easy enough.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2017, 20:49   #6
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

The trick is to use a small pair of Mole grips to release the spring clip on the lowest hose, then leave them attached to the clip while you do the job, its a right royal pain to access the spring clip if you release the tension on it.
Old 5th December 2017, 17:29   #7
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Ian, it is much more likely the O ring that seals the upper coolant rail to the thermostat housing has failed.

I've changed quite a few of these....... my opinion on the failure chemical attack.

Strangely enough, the compound of the o ring was altered a couple of years ago coincidence??????

Brian
Brian, can this o ring be changed without removing the water pump or thermostat from the car?

macafee2
Old 5th December 2017, 19:49   #8
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

looking at this how To from Jules
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...ad.php?t=54384
and looking at Rimmers web site
https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID001740
https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID001722

even just changing this seal or housing gasket looks to be a big task. Haynes manual suggests a thermostat that has done 5 years may well be past its best.

perhaps I should change pump, thermostat and gasket and the O ring so I only have this job to do once.

macafee2
Old 5th December 2017, 21:44   #9
allan t
Avid contributor

mg zt cdti + 75 connie cdti

I have also had to replace the 25 mm core plug behind the stat housing,I had already done the stat and water rail oring,before I noticed a pin hole trickle from the core plug
allan t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2017, 21:49   #10
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Perhaps I should change pump, thermostat and gasket and the O ring so I only have this job to do once.

macafee2
The diesel water pumps are usually pretty long lasting - mine failed just shy of 300k miles, and the aftermarket replacement went after a further 60k miles.

Depending on how many miles your car has done it may be better to stick with the original pump. It is easier to replace the thermostat, housing seal and O ring than to change the pump.

If you are changing the water pump, the original gasket is a one piece for that side of the engine, and you will need to cut the little tabs that connect the water pump part to the rest before fitting the new gasket.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote