Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd August 2020, 12:57   #1
euro44
Avid contributor

mg zt-t 226th made from total of 396

Default hand brake troubles mg zt-t+

Hi everyone, Im trying to fit one of artics s/s compensators and running into problems, so suggestions would be appreciated. first off, the nut on the handbrake lever is way past 25mm and just rotates Probably caused by a gorilla trying to adjust it .. second it appears I have to remove all the centre info screen and controls to access the centre console removal fixings inc a/c controls, and probably both front seats before I can release the carpet over the centre tunnel, is this correct, third the manual reckons access to the compensator is via removal of the exhaust so which way do I go please someone.
euro44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2020, 13:08   #2
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

You don't have to remove front seats or centre console completely or the exhaust at all.

Courtesy of Arctic:

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...ht=compensator
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2020, 14:38   #3
euro44
Avid contributor

thanks 007 Ive got artics pdf and video instructions. I havent been able to lift the console more than half an inch so cant access the removeable cover plate. also the adjuster nut on the hand brake lever just turns and refuses to catch the threads. I guess sometime in the past its been overtightened, really struggling to work out how to fix this.
Old 23rd August 2020, 14:42   #4
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro44 View Post
thanks 007 Ive got artics pdf and video instructions. I havent been able to lift the console more than half an inch so cant access the removeable cover plate. also the adjuster nut on the hand brake lever just turns and refuses to catch the threads. I guess sometime in the past its been overtightened, really struggling to work out how to fix this.
Have you removed the 2 screws down the side of the console, next to the seats? You should be able to lift it a good 6"
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2020, 14:49   #5
euro44
Avid contributor

Hi, no there are no screws down the sides of the centre console for some reason and no provision for them, thats what is giving me grief, maybe there are hidden fixings but cant see or feel any. this cars one of the last made and I guess its a bit of a mongrol.
Old 23rd August 2020, 15:15   #6
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro44 View Post
Hi, no there are no screws down the sides of the centre console for some reason and no provision for them, thats what is giving me grief, maybe there are hidden fixings but cant see or feel any. this cars one of the last made and I guess its a bit of a mongrol.
Hi Christopher.
I would double check for the screws down either side of the console.

Pull the side of seat out and down also the drivers seat should be lowered as far as it will go.
2a

Also if the handbrake front nut as been wound down onto the thread, then onto collar of the front cable it will just keep turning as its stuck, you could drill the nut so it comes free i have had to do that in the past.

I have also cut the cable at the rear in situations when a gorilla as been at work, then had to fit a new cable.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2020, 15:42   #7
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

As said, do check those side screws again!

With regards to the nut just turning:
Can you see if the cable is twisting when you turn the nut or is the nut just spinning?
If the cable is twisting, it has been tightened to the end of the threads & gripped the shoulder of the cable so you'll need to find a way to grip the cable while undoing the nut.
If the nut is just spinning without the cable twisting, either the threads are stripped on the cable thread and/or nut. In this case you'll need to either cut the nut off or try to get something under the washer & pry upwards while undoing the nut.

Last edited by mh007; 23rd August 2020 at 15:48..
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2020, 17:24   #8
euro44
Avid contributor

thanks artic, have made some progress, the adjuster nut is kaput so ill try drilling it and hope i can get another to replace it. found the elusive console fixings, they were behind little plastic caps, very difficult to access (unclipped the bolster and pulled it away as far as possible ) but they are out and the console jacked up 8 inches. the carpet on these later ( cost cutting ) cars seem to be all one piece from front to back so i have had to cut along the rear footwell tunnel to access the compensator and will stick it back once completed. Incidentally Haynes are wrong again, the compensator cannot be accessed from underneath, the tunnel is solid underneath it. lol.
Old 23rd August 2020, 17:32   #9
euro44
Avid contributor

thanks 007 the cable is not twisting but the nuts just going round and round, so its probably the nylon inside the nut thats gone. tried levering under the washer but no purchase, so will resort to artics suggestion of drilling the nut if that fails ill cut the cable and replace it. oh what joy car repair is,lol.
Old 23rd August 2020, 17:35   #10
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

If trying to undo the nut causes the whole cable to rotate, double nut the top of the thread and then you will be able to undo the lower nut, once coming up the threads you can remove the double nut and screw the nut off

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote